It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
(male)

FrankBlack1 HB User
Decided to stop smoking. Need support.

Ok.. so now that I am a teacher... professional...and have found a physical hobby that I love (Surfing), I have decided that smoking no longer works in my life and it is time to quit. I went to my doctor and received a script for Chantrix. I started it today.. I have set my quit date for next wed. I have a close group of friends (my doctor included) who have quit smoking and that I am able to call on any time I need support, but I believe that support can come from all sources, thus I am posting and will continue to post my experience and ask for ya'll's experiences, advice and support. Thanks in advance.. Ben

Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
(female)

caa301 HB User
Re: Decided to stop smoking. Need support.

Congratulations on your quit!!! You can and will do it if you want I took Chantix for 2 months and it helped me. I smoked for 35 years I have been smoke-free for 14 months now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
(male)

FrankBlack1 HB User

So I have been doing a lot of reading on this board and the side effects of chantix are scaring the hell out of me. Im on day four and will take my first night pill tonight. Im nervous to see how it will effect my sleep. So far I have felt no real side effects with the exception of just feeling a little weird. I have not had any anger or depression.. just feel a little odd from time to time. I am still smoking, but i noticed today the the pack i have in front of me while i type this message is half full. I purchased that pack yesterday morning....I smoke a pack and a half a day.. so needless to say my need/urge to smoke has greatly decreased. Anyways, so far so good... im just getting really nervous. I have severe anxiety disorder and am on meds to help with that, Welbutrin/Remron/Buspar. Im wondering if my med combination will help me to deal with the anxiety/crazy feeling some people have reported with Chantix. Anyways any information is welcome.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
(female)

petlover1003 HB User

No problems with Chantix at all. I took it for about 2 months with anti-anxiety pill so that really helped mellow me out. I actually miss the good dreams I had when I was on Chantix....really happy and fun, no nightmares! The only slight side effect I had was difficutly in sleeping in the beginning. I'm not sure this can be attributed to Chantix or not, but I would take 1/2 Ambian and this worked fine. I'm not a pill popper but knew this was all temporary.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
(male)

FrankBlack1 HB User

Update.. I'm on day 10 of the Chantrix. I have been smoke free for two days now.. I actually feel like i can breath again. Its amazing.. I do have some chest cold symptoms, but i think its my lungs starting to clear out. I am sleeping pretty good. The only side effect I have noticed is some temperature fluctuations along with crazy, crazy dreams. I cant believe i have made it two days without any nicotine.. and i feel fine..

Old 08-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
(female)

karbear1 HB User

Good for you. The poison of nicotine coming out of your system will manifest into many things. Cough, aches and pains. My favorite was acne at 54, who would have thought. all is gone now though! So keep up the good job. Smoke free is a wonderful thing.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
(male)

FrankBlack1 HB User

Just a quick update. I am now two weeks smoke free. I'm feeling great!! Thanks for all who have posted.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:00 AM   #8
(female)

karbear1 HB User

Congratulations!!!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Frank! Congratulations! You are an inspiration to me! I want to quit again so badly and am headed to that area again in the next week or so. I will post again to you when I begin my quit soon and we can swop notes! All the best and God bless--Hopeto--

Old 09-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
(female)

texasgirl1107 HB User

Good for you!! I am 7 1/2 months quit. DH is 1 year 9 months. Quit cold except I used commits for 4 days. You are going to feel much much better now!!

Closed Thread