It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

Emma17 HB User
How can I get my parents to stop smoking?

How can I get my mum and dad to quit smoking? They always say they will stop smoking at such and such a time, but they never do, I just feel like they just lie to me and my sister constantly. I am too afraid to ask them "why they are still smoking?", "when will they quit?" and "how do they know they dont/wont get cancer?" because i have asked previously and my dad snapped at me as though it was none of my business, so i never want to ask. I feel like they are being selfish and not considering how this could affect me and my sister in the long run if they continue.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:36 AM   #2
(female)

hillgirl92 HB User
Re: How can I get my parents to stop smoking?

Emma17, I know how hard it can be to encourage someone to quit smoking. They have to be ready and want to quit. I am a smoker myself with 3 children and I am still finding it very hard to try to quit. My children ask me all the time when I'm gong to do it. It is very hard to overcome. Maybe you could suggest that they read through the posts on this board to find encouragement from others. That's what I am doing at this point. I know that someone telling me I need to quit has never helped me, but encouragement from others that they want me to quit because they want me around for a long time has helped me a little. I have not found everything that I need to push me to quit yet, but I know that I will. I'm sure that your parents will too. Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

You can't get anyone to quit they have to be ready and willing. Over here in the US they have these awful commercials on the TV showing you the consequences of smoking but there was one that really got to me and I quit. I also have a 6 yr old that I want to be around for and he was the one who asked me to quit. There's a thousand other reason why I quit but mostly I just think I was really ready to. Try telling them how much you love them and want them to be around for as long as they can be and that it is for completely selfish reasons. Tell them about about all the new help there is to quit these days, but mostly try not to be disappointed if they don't. If they do try be encouraging and let them know that most people try at least three times before being successful and to not give up.

Good luck with eveything

Old 10-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
(female)

tamt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma17 View Post
How can I get my mum and dad to quit smoking? They always say they will stop smoking at such and such a time, but they never do, I just feel like they just lie to me and my sister constantly. I am too afraid to ask them "why they are still smoking?", "when will they quit?" and "how do they know they dont/wont get cancer?" because i have asked previously and my dad snapped at me as though it was none of my business, so i never want to ask. I feel like they are being selfish and not considering how this could affect me and my sister in the long run if they continue.
You can't make them. They probably already know and have thought about everything that you could look up to tell them. (they weren't born smoking) It's called an addiction for a reason and they are people also. They have feelings too and if they feel like they are failures anyway that might give them more reason to not try as hard to quit because they think it's useless to try. You could be hurting more than helping if you call them out all the time too because and not all adults are mature about things they shouldn't do. They could get the "I'm grown and I can do what I want" attitude about it also. They know you just want to help, but it's a fine line. You know them better than us strangers here, so i hope you do find a way to coearse them into quitting, just know that it's not because they don't love you, or respect you, or anything like that. You may get frustrated because they don't listen to you, but dont' take it personally and people get cancers. You don't have to smoke to get them. you don't have to get Second hand smoke to get them. It happens to people like any other ailment. That may be a factor in to why they aren't concerned with dying immediately. Because they won't and they know that. Are they willing to take drugs to help the quit? Every single person I know that has taken chantix has quit. (I only know 7) Maybe you could work on getting them to take that instead of getting them to stop buying cigarrettes. I know it sounds wierd, but I honestly think if you got them to take it the quitting would eventually happen.

Closed Thread