It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Anybody feel like it took a year and a half to return to normal?

Hi all! I am into my 11th day of quit and my sinuses, body and mental state aren't good today. I think I can live with the body aches, but my mental state is really affected today because my sinuses are TERRIBLE! I have tried the drug store version of Mucinex and it helps for about 4 hours and then they start to ache again. I have to say that quitting smoking is similar(for me--not for everyone) to quitting Klonopin-- in the respect of aches and pains. It took me about 15 months or more to get those kinks out. I know I have arthritis and fibromyalgia and a host of other ailments that come to the forefront, but I think I feel like it bothers me to wear my eyeglasses, too. I have stopped (once again) all the addictive chemicals in my life. I feel like my body has a migraine today. Anybody else out there who took a long time getting back into the groove? Sorry I keep complaining, but I honestly feel like I'm walking around in someone else's body! Thanks so much--Hopeto

Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
(female)

flan47 HB User
Re: Anybody feel like it took a year and a half to return to normal?

hi hopeto, it takes different time periods for different people. my husband just started feeling better at one and a half years and i felt wonderful at 13 months. we had been smoking for over 40 years each so it was expected it would take a long time. some people feel great after 2 months. just hang in there and you will find life wonderful too.
flan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
(male)

Kentuckyguy HB User

I would agree that everyone is different in how there bodies and lives adjust to back to normal. I quit February 2007 and I still have days that I find new aches, and I have good days as well. The most important thing to remember is that your doing something that in the long run will benefit you more than you would ever imagine. For me its being able to breathe better, and the best thing I would have to say that I know in my heart that its going to give me more time with my precious 6 year old daughter who constantly bugged me to quit.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi folks! I relapsed about a week ago and feel awful about it. My anxiety level is bad right now. I have a son with OCD that is breaking my heart because I'm watching him suffer with this. I will however, plug along and keep going to my therapist, pdoc, and smoking cessation meetings because even I know my smoking isn't going to change him. I'm still not going to give up. I will keep you guys posted. Yours in almost smobriety--Hopeto--

Old 11-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
(female)

flan47 HB User

i'm so sorry you relapsed, hopeto. what i have found worked was to keep my quit separate from everything else in my life. i kept repeating that no matter what happened the only thing i have control over is my quit. i hope you find whatever works for you.
hugs, flan

Old 11-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hopeto we've all stumbled on our journey to quit smoking what matters is that you still have to desire and you'll get there when you can. However some advice from me is no matter what don't pick up a cigarette call a friend, go for a walk, take several deep breathes, vacuum, scrub the tub, come here there's always some one here to talk you down all these things will see you through that craving and help relieve your stress. No judgements just get back on that horse girl

Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi L-Mom! I started the gum today to see if it would help and it did a little bit. I would have written sooner, but I have been so busy trying to psychologically get myself away from the hand to mouth motion of smoking and the mental habit by crocheting and trying to learn knitting. It's been working so far and makes me happy to lose myself in something other than smoking. Also, I ran out of money until next Wednesday so i can't get cigarettes even if I tried!! LOL I feel such a feeling of accomplishment when I'm sewing or crocheting and it makes me feel close once again to my late grandmother who began to teach me at age 12, but unfortunately she died the next year in 1969. It had taken me 35 years in 2004 to pick the crocheting and knitting up again and I'm so glad I did. Maybe, as they say, "In God's time", He has made a way when there didn't seem to be a way, at least not for me. SO--I will come here to the board, go to my meetings, and just crochet to my heart's content!!! I will be back soon to let everyone know how I'm doing. Thanks so much for caring. God bless and goodnight--Hopeto--

Closed Thread