It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

jaclynw00 HB User
Day 9 On Chantix-still smoking, when will it 'kick in', no side effects...

Hi, I'm new to the board and new on Chantix. Luckily, my insurance covered the whole thing (I have the green box starter pack).

For the first 7 days, I felt nothing. This concerned me because I do seem to be immune to some drugs (for example, the only headache medicine that works for me is Excedrin; I was on Wellbutrin first for 21 days and I felt absolutely no different). I'm worried that Chantix will be the same way...that it's just not affecting me. I was hoping for the vivid dreams or even a little nausea if it meant that Chantix was working.

On Day 8, I noticed some difference when I started taking the blue bills. For a few hours after taking the pill (always with a large meal and water), my head feels a little fuzzy. And I desire water and I feel slightly bloated. I feel like I could go without a cigarette. They don't taste bad, just not as satisfying. Still, I want them. I went from 7pm to 10pm without a cigarette. I also went to bed at 10pm without having one. I woke up 3 times in the night because I was dreaming about wanting a cigarette. When I woke up at 8am, I still had those "nicotine withdrawal" feelings and needed a cigarette. I had a few and I normalized.

Does this mean that the Chantix hasn't fully kicked in yet? It seems like the blue pill at dinner wore off and when it did, I started to have nicotine withdrawal.

I plan to try and quit on Monday (tomorrow) since I won't just be home sitting around the house with nothing to do. I've decided not to tell anyone when I plan to quit. They know I am on the Chantix, but I don't feel like them asking if I quit on my Quit Date and having to feel guilty and tell them no.

I'm not sure if I really am having any side effects (or effects at all), other than the fuzzy head (and its really not that bad). The bloating could be because of what I ate, or drinking too much water. I get a lot of headaches typically, and the fuzzy head could be a "light headache".

I'm a chain smoker, and there are a lot of things I associate with smoking, from having one when I get up, having one after a shower or brushing my teeth (I cannot explain those), being on the Internet or watching television. I love to smoke. However, I've had bronchitis 3 times already and its not even "deep winter" here in Michigan yet. Every year, I seem to get sick more and stay sick for longer periods.

Recently, I told my sister that I wanted to quit and it somehow got to that I asked if she could smell the cigarette some on my daughter. She told me that she could, that it smelled like my daughter (who's 3 years old) was a smoker. I keep replaying that in my mind to try and motivate myself. Not only I am I hurting myself, I am hurting the most precious thing in my life. Its not fair to her. I want to be around for a long time (my own father died when I was 8 due to alcohol...but he was also a heavy smoker...he was 58).

I'm 27. I've only been smoking for 7 years (I started when I was 20 and lived with my mom and she stressed me out a lot and I learned to pick up a cigarette rather than learn to cope in a healthy way).

So my questions are:

When could I expect to find cigarettes tasting bad or not be interested in smoking?

...OR is this the extent of the "effects" and the rest is up to me?

Has anyone else not really experienced a difference (or much of one) on Chantix?

I realize its not a "poof, I hate smoking" kind of thing, but based on all the things I've read from other Chantix users on many web sites, I thought the drug would be more obvious in its effects, rather than very subtle and imperceptible.

If it turns off the nicotine receptors in my brain so that cigarettes aren't pleasurable...how come I still enjoy them? I may not enjoy them as much, but I still enjoy them.

Any help or answers would be appreciated. And if you read all this, thank you.

Jaclyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
(female)

pam0857 HB User
Re: Day 9 On Chantix-still smoking, when will it 'kick in', no side effects...

jaclyn,

I used Chantix and have not smoked now for almost 8 mos. I took it for about 6 weeks total, but I did not quit until almost the 3rd week. It WAS a subtle thing for me, although I did experience several of the side effects - wild dreams, bloating, also kind of a spaciness. I smoked for 31 years and smoked on all occasions, getting up, before and after showering etc. If I can do this, I believe anyone can. Please stick with it and write again and let us know how you did. You'll be so proud of yourself, and know you can handle anything. I believe you actually become calmer. And wait until you smell the smokers once you don't. You won't believe you smelled like that...

Old 11-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hey there and congrats on your decision to quit!!!

Quote:
On Day 8, I noticed some difference when I started taking the blue bills. For a few hours after taking the pill (always with a large meal and water), my head feels a little fuzzy. And I desire water and I feel slightly bloated. I feel like I could go without a cigarette. They don't taste bad, just not as satisfying. Still, I want them. I went from 7pm to 10pm without a cigarette. I also went to bed at 10pm without having one. I woke up 3 times in the night because I was dreaming about wanting a cigarette. When I woke up at 8am, I still had those "nicotine withdrawal" feelings and needed a cigarette. I had a few and I normalized.
I've bolded the portion that really stuck out to me: Chantix is working if this is how you feel.

I quit with Chantix nearly two years ago, and Chantix NEVER made me not want to smoke. All it really helped me to do was not go out of my mind if I didn't have one. An hour turned into a half day, a half day into a day, a day into a week, a week into a month -- poof, I wasn't smoking! That's where Chantix really helps. It helps you to look at smoking as a take it or leave it type of thing. But even two years out, I still occasionally want one! Not bad enough to throw away my quit, but still ... Chantix (or any drug) never makes someone "not want to smoke."

And I was a very heavy smoker, too. Nearly three packs a day

Hopefully you're beyond your quit date now (Monday?) and are well on your way to a smoke-free life

The Following User Says Thank You to StenoLady1 For This Useful Post:
djstrano (03-29-2012)
Old 11-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
(female)

jaclynw00 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I did not quit on Monday (nor on Tuesday) today. I think I'm making some excuses for myself not to quit yet because I am afraid. I become so "short-fused" when I try and quit and I hate who I become. I had a big exam (it turned out to be extremely hard) on Monday, so I decided not to quit on Monday so that I would be able to concentrate if I needed to.

Today is Tuesday. I had fully planned to give a good effort not to smoke today. While I have smoked considerably less, the first thing I did when I woke up at 5am (I had an angry dream) was to smoke a cigarette to "clear my throat/lungs" and calm down. After eating breakfast, I also had to have another. It went from there. I'm disappointed in myself, but I also told myself not to put too much pressure on myself and hate myself that day.

I have not had "vivid dreams", but I am dreaming every night (which is not typical of me). Water seems to make the bloated feeling worse, so I try to drink more water. When I feel like that, I don't want to smoke.

However, the Chantix doesn't seem to last all day. Each pill seems to be effective for about 6 hours.

I'm going to try again tomorrow, and if I fail, I am going to try over the Thanksgiving weekend (Weds until Sunday). I can admit that I am afraid of how my temper because when I have withdrawal symptoms from smoking. I'm afraid of yelling at my daughter and scaring her. I think it might be easier to try quitting once I can get a break from watching Dora the Explorer and SpongeBob. Those bore me and don't distract me from my desire to smoke.

Question: If Chantix has been blocking the nicotine from the receptors in my brain, would I already have "withdrawals" from the substance because the brain thinks I'm not getting nicotine, or does the body KNOW there is still nicotine in there?

I'm a little confused on what the drug does (besides block the nicotine from reaching the receptors). While I still get withdrawal symptoms when I quit, or will they just be less intense?

Old 11-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
(female)

pam0857 HB User

Jaclyn,

I just read your post about quitting the day after Thanksgiving. Congrats!! And know that it will get easier and easier every day. At first it was all I thought of, but gradually I noticed I would think less and less about it. Staying really busy helped me the most....

Next week will be 8 mos. quit for me....yeah!! It's a good feeling.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
(female)

jaclynw00 HB User

I went 2 whole days without a cigarette. I then decided (note -- did not "slip up") to test myself with a cigarette. Either its Chantix or not having a cigarette for 2 days, but I nearly barfed. I gagged and coughed and sputtered. It was the most disgusting thing ever. Now, I still want the ACT of smoking a cigarette, but not the cigarette.

I'm really not sure if Chantix does anything to me. As I've said before, I've been immune to plenty of drugs, both the illegal and legal kind. I forgot my nightime Chantix pill (because I went to a birthday party and then spent the night at my sister's) and didn't leave my sister's house the next day until 2pm, so I also missed my morning Chantix. I've also taken Chantix on an empty stomach, and accidentally taken 4mg (2 blue pills) within an hour of each other on an empty stomach and had no effects whatsoever. My sister says I should say on the Chantix, just in case its working under the radar and since its not affecting me adversely. I have a 1-month supply, which is down to 2 weeks.

I cleaned my house and it smells...SO WONDERFUL. I've been staying at my sister's here and there since Thanksgiving (sometimes going home and coming back). I didn't notice anything at my sister's house, but when I got home today, my house smelled...dirty, gross. I've also noticed how quickly my throat feels better. I was hoarse for 20 minutes after having that experimental cigarette this morning. My voice, including my singing voice, is smooth and more powerful. I was never a great singer, but a decent one and I like to sing to my daughter or by myself in the car. How is it that my body seems to be healing so rapidly? Earlier, I ran up and down the stairs (doing laundry) and didn't get winded or tired.

My mom and sister smoke. I doesn't bother me at all to be around them when they are smoking. Their cigarettes smoke smells bad, but it doesn't make me sick. Plus, I'm not tempted to have one or ask for one, as they smoke menthol and not only do I hate menthol, mint, etc, but I'm slightly allergic to it. Boyfriend also smokes menthol.

Wow, eight months is a long time. I'm confident I can also get there, and never smoke another cigarette again. Why did I ever start? Clearly, I don't need them, they taste foul and cost a lot of money. I really can't figure out what compelled me. I am proud of myself already. I am being very careful not to be the "annoying, reformed smoker" around those I know who smoke. Just as I couldn't be swayed until I'd "had enough" and was really ready to quit, they won't either. Nothing is more annoying than a hypocritical ex-smoker (for example, one of the my sisters is that way). Now that I've quit, I see why there is no reason to smoke, and hope that others in my life will also see how easy it was and decide to quit smoking too, but I'm not going to push them.

Thank you guys so much for the encouragement and support.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-30-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: no discussion of moderator actions, as per the posting policy

Old 11-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
(female)

pam0857 HB User

Jaclyn,

You're so welcome. I lurked on these boards the whole time I was quitting and it was really helpful. You sound so much like me - I too do not want to be one of those opinionated reformed smokers - glass houses and all that...and it doesn't bother me to be around smokers either, but it's smelling worse and worse all the time. This is a good thing, just like when you returned home and noticed it.

I, too wonder why I ever enjoyed it so much. Keep up the good work...

Closed Thread