It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

akazie HB User
Stopping again

About this time last year I started trying Champix to stop smoking which worked and I was smoke free for four months but stupidly I started again. I feel worse now than when I smoked before so I went back to my doctor and got another script and my my quite day is Wed 18th. I am worried that Champix won't work this time because I seem to be smoking more now since using it last time, has anyone here used it to give up smoking twice, did it still work for them as well as the first time?

Old 02-14-2009, 03:41 AM   #2
(male)

fuzzywzhe HB User
Re: Stopping again

If you fail, just keep quitting. It took me about 4 tries before I finally gave it up. My Achilles heel is that I would quit cold turkey for a week, then bum a cigarette knowing that I got through the worst of it, and therefore was "safe". Then I'd go back to smoking again. I did this for a year.

The reason that over 90% of the time people fail when they try to quit smoking is that they do - but they try again, and again, and again. Eventually you'll get it right. It's really easy to quit, you just don't put a cigarette into your mouth. The question is - do you really want to quit more than you want to alleviate the discomfort as you get off your addiction?

Instead of quitting on the 18th, quit now. Just remember what a stupid drug it is. You don't get a high from it, you just need to smoke to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. It's the most insidious drug in that once you become accustomed to it, what you associate with feeling "calm" or "focused" when you smoke, it merely how you would NORMALLY feel if you didn't smoke. I hate this stupid drug.

I quit for my 4th time about a week or so ago, and I had all a lot of symptoms which is why I found this board. I had constipation, chest pain (still do a bit), rapid heartbeat, cold sweats, waking up in the middle of the night, lots of coughing (that's almost done), and some mood swings. What is important to remember is that these aren't symptoms of quitting smoking - they are symptoms BECAUSE of smoking. I'd never have gone through this if 4 years ago, I wasn't stupid, and took up smoking so I could get temporary buzzes so I could work later at night. The useful effects only lasted 2 weeks, but the addiction lasted 4 years. I used to smoke a little in college so when I took up smoking again at 34 (I'm 38 now) I immediately picked up my old habits of smoking when I went to bars or when I needed a break from work.

I will certainly be successful this time although I'm certain you're reading this thinking "yeah sure- this is his 4th try..."

I've now quit enough times to not want to go through it again. Keep a good record of what it feels like when you quit as you are doing it and just remember, you'll have to go through that AGAIN eventually if you take it up again. In 2 weeks, you're pretty much home free with just sporadic desire for a smoke and it's pretty easy to say no then.

As a suggestion, I recommend you start exercising now. The reason is that when you do quit, you'll realize just how bad smoking is for you. I bike, and have biked for the entire time I smoked - 12 miles a day to work and back, every day. Now, I smoked 10 cigarettes a day, and I'd average about 15 MPH to work while I was smoking. In just 1 week of quitting, I'm up to 18. I have hopes I'll be back to my college days of 21 in a few weeks. The difference in endurance is astounding.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

akazie HB User

Yesterday was my first day of not smoking and it didn't feel that bad. There was still cravings but not enough to make me want to smoke, I can't wait until I can say that I have been smoke free for a year

Old 02-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
(male)

ac95 HB User

it will be 2 yrs easter since i have quit smoking. it was my second effort. you have to really want to. take it seriously. i did use the patch for one week. they have them set up in three stages. i used step 2 for that week and havnt picked up since. the first 3-4 days are the toughest. then you will come into routine smoking( smoke breaks, after you eat, etc...). just dont. you can do it if you really want to.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
(male)

Samw89 HB User

I stopped my 5-10 a day smoking habit after going into hospital for a foot operation. Without even thinking about it I just didnt smoke for the 10 days I was there and now, over a month later, I still haven't touched a cigarette and have absolutely no desire to.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
(female)

hkramb HB User

2nd time on Chantix and I too didn't feel it 'kick in' like the first time, I just trusted that it would happen and it did, smoked less and less, recognized the feeling of chantix and a slight hum in my head all day, quit Friday and I really want to walk outside and have one but keep telling myself that it will taste like blech if I do.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
(female)

hkramb HB User

update for a second time chantix user. While it didn't hit me as hard as the first time I was much better at recognizing the mental need vs the physical need. I'm pouring myself into books, cleaning, cooking. I really want to go have one right now but will push past the garage door and walk straight to bed. Started chantix Dec 1st, last smoke was Dec 16th, so 17 days without a smoke and it does get easier. The first time I held onto the 'one here and there' method for way too long, I was just relearning how to hang onto it, this time its a NO, no sneaks, not worth it (and really tastes like hell and does nothing for me). I was out shopping yesterday and while perusing the clearance racks at nordstrom I was hit by the smell of smoke, it was a sweater on the rack that I could tell had been returned but spent the ride back to Nordstrom in a smokers car...ICK! I'm like a freakin bloodhound now.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
(female)

stressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB User

Yes!! Its amazing how yukky that smell is and how strong it is. And how we used to smell like that!!!!

That stale smoke smell is the worst. That actually helps keep me quit. I am on day 80 of no smoking, I still have cravings but they are fewer and less intense. I have to keep telling myself not to even have one. I think if I have one it will end up being a whole pack...

You can do it!!!!!

Keep the quit (ktq)

NOPE=Not One Puff Ever

Closed Thread