It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

crystal30 HB User
why does smoking cigarettes make you have a bowel movement?

why does smoking cigarettes makes you take a ****

Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
(female)

kangelo HB User
Unhappy Re: why does smoking cigarettes makes you take a ****

From what I've learned, smoking is a stimulant; therefore, it stimulates everything in your body, including your intestines and bowels. I only learned this recently because I quit smoking and got terribly constipated. I've had to start taking Magnesium Oxide to make me go. I've never been so miserable before. I hope it's only temporary, because I don't want to have to take it forever. Granted, it's a mineral that's safe and that our body has and needs anyway, but to quit one thing, then to gain more issues is a mystery to me. Never should have started the first mistake, though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
(female)

barbarino HB User
Re: why does smoking cigarettes makes you take a ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangelo View Post
From what I've learned, smoking is a stimulant; therefore, it stimulates everything in your body, including your intestines and bowels. I only learned this recently because I quit smoking and got terribly constipated. I've had to start taking Magnesium Oxide to make me go. I've never been so miserable before. I hope it's only temporary, because I don't want to have to take it forever. Granted, it's a mineral that's safe and that our body has and needs anyway, but to quit one thing, then to gain more issues is a mystery to me. Never should have started the first mistake, though.
It will pass after awhile. It did it to me for about a month. Things were bad. Then you go back to being normal.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
(female)

kangelo HB User

That's the best news I've heard in a while. I stopped taking the mag-ox the other day, and still I was constipated. Do you have to train yourself, so to speak, and sit there until something happens? From what I hear, it's rare. I've know many people to quit and they've never had this problem. Speaking about other side effects, did your feet begin to tingle, like needles and pins, because of maybe blood circulating back in? I'm dealing with this now and can find no answers. I'm concerned because I know poor circulation can be dangerous. Sheesh, sometimes I feel like smoking again, just to feel normal again. Not to metion that I've gained five pounds. Uh-oh! Thanks for responding!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
(female)

Maryan Young HB User

I have the same problem. My GI doc is 80 yrs old. He told me in the old days before all the new meds, the protocol for people with ulcerative colotis who had been smokers before, was to tell them to smoke again. Conversely, If one had Crohns disease, smoking exaccerbated it. Clearly there is a connection. However, it is not simply nicotine. If it was, all the patches and gum I chewed would have helped. As it is, I must take miralax, metamucil, eat very carefully, get up 2 hrs early each morning and it has been 30 days. An Xray last week showed I am full of stool. There is some other explanation for this obvious connection. I have been through this 3 times now.

Closed Thread