It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
(male)

hvacman29 HB User
chantix ??? Help

Im on day number 8 with chantix and still have the urge to still need nicotine.
Any suggestions as to how long it could take before my urges start to go down. I use smokeless tobacco and i have for about 15 years and i am ready to quit. Any comments would be thankful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
(male)

jeepdude HB User
Cool Re: chantix ??? Help

Hey HVAC....I just joined and curious how your quest to beat nicotine ended up?
I've used chewing tobacco for almost 30 years and used Chantix to quit. I'm only two weeks chew-free, but feel I have it beat.
When I started Chantix the instructions said attempt to quit on day 8 after using Chantix. I tried...but was nowhere near ready. Sweating, jitters, complete lack of focus, enormous mood swings. Made it until about 10am before I realized I didn't have enough of the Chantix in me yet (or it wasn't going to work for me). I tried again on day 10, and although the effects were less, I could tell I still wasn't ready. So I continued to take the Chantix.

On day 13 I tried again. It worked. Not saying it didn't hurt, but it was managable. Even though I had the "need it" moments, it was without all of the emotional and physical baggage I'd always experienced. No sweating, jitters, anger outbursts, etc. I found chewing gum and sunflower seeds were a fantastic way to offset the oral needs/habits.

Now, being on Chantix is no cake walk. It's created new problems for me (insomnia, memory problems, bouts of irrational anger, back pain, etc...just like the warning say). For me, however, they are mostly managable and infinitely better than chewing.

So far so good. I'm not out of the woods by a long shot, but the woods are not as thick as they were without Chantix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
(male)

Poppa John HB User
Re: chantix ??? Help

I hate to tell you this but you may have the urge to use nicotine many years from now. That said, the urge does become weaker and you can overcome those urges. I quit smoking two years ago using Chantix. I took Chantix for about five weeks and decided that it was "now or never" and stopped taking the Chantix. Thanks to a good support group, my wife and several good friends, I maintained the will power to not start smoking again.
Like I said earlier, it's been two years since I quit and I still have "urges" to smoke. I smoked for about 35 years before I finally made it back to being a non-smoker. I tried to quit many, many times over those 35 years. It just has to be a firm committment on your part to quit. You can't do it for anyone else, I tried and failed. Two years ago I decided that I wanted to quit for ME.

Good luck, believe me, I know it's hard but I also know that if I can do it, anybody can. Get yourself a good support person. Someone you can call anytime, day or night. When you feel like you just have to have nicotine, call that person and talk through the urge. Take some deep breaths, it will pass. Every day gets a little easier.

The neat thing is that I recently was filling out some insurance policy papers and when it came to the question "Do you smoke?" I checked "yes" then I thought about it and went back and crossed it out and checked NO. I'm now officially a non-smoker.

Hang it there, don't give up, you can do it. I cheering for you.
Poppa John

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacman29 View Post
Im on day number 8 with chantix and still have the urge to still need nicotine.
Any suggestions as to how long it could take before my urges start to go down. I use smokeless tobacco and i have for about 15 years and i am ready to quit. Any comments would be thankful

Closed Thread