It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
(female)

number 81 HB User
Angry When will my metabolism return to normal?

Or will it?! I quit smoking about a month ago cold turkey with no problems. No cravings, no increase in eating, no sleep problems etc. I知 very happy to have been this lucky in quitting!

The only issue is my weight! I知 seriously bothered enough about this to start smoking again (yes, I知 that superficial)! I知 an athletic build on a tiny frame who is active (I also used to model underwear for godsakes) and now I知 bloating into a fat pig! I致e so far gained 6 pounds; which I understand doesn稚 sound like a lot but at barely 5 feet tall, that痴 a ton of weight for me!

Some one please tell me this weight will go away! And please no one tell me to 電iet and/or workout because I already do that.

Thanks to anyone who can ease my mind!

No.81

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User
Re: When will my metabolism return to normal?

Congrats on your quit number81 and trust me - there isn't a reason good enough for you to return to smoking. Not even 100lbs. That's exactly what your doctor will tell you - you would have to gain at least 100lbs. of weight to match the bad effects of smoking so give yourself a break and if you go over 20lbs. (15lbs. is normal when quitting) THEN maybe get your blood levels checked or thyroid.

You quit smoking so easily so have you replaced your cancer sticks with food? That's something to def. watch.

You mentioned that you already work out which is great so maybe alter your routine. Sometimes you have to shock your body to get it moving again. So if you normally just walk or do the same thing every day - increase the weight or the speed or the incline or in other words - increase your sweat. Do this for at least a week and see if that makes a difference. It really should.

Plus, you shouldn't have to "diet" vs. eating healthy. Make sure you are always eating breakfast and then eat every 4 or 5 hours throughout the day (small meals of course but never walk away hungry either) and leave sugar alone.

You should be losing weight the next time you post in. ))) Many have )))

Best of success

Laurie
5 days cold turkey quit and counting

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
(female)

number 81 HB User

Thanks for the reply,

From what i've read it should take about 6 months for my body to adjust.
The biggest kick in the pants is that i'm already super healthy and eat on a schedule (like clock work)! AND i'm a veggie who hates fast food and loves gymnastics. can't really get more healthy than that.

The weight is very bothersome! i'm now at 10lbs! i can feel it when i'm running or back-flipping or self-defencing, etc. i can't understand how some people live obese! i can't even stand 10 extra pounds.

I still haven't smoked or even been tempted to. We'll have to see how much bigger i get... (my pants don't fit )

Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

How funny - I was a gymnast as well (high school so long ago lol).

That's awesome that you're still going strong and wow - a veggie too. Maybe just try to eat more green veggies and of course watch the salad dressings. Most are so loaded that people don't realize they're just as fattening. In addition, just increase your protein and go to sugar free vs. sugar for a few weeks and I'm telling you the weight will just come off. I've done it a few times. A healthier spin to the Atkins Diet so to speak or the South Beach.

You really should get your blood levels checked and your thyroid though esp. if you haven't increased your calories and eating like clock work as you said. My Mom just had hers checked and she had a thyroid problem that was causing her to pack on the pounds, but is easily fixed with the right medication or regimen.

Best of success and make sure you check back in and keep me posted.

Laurie

Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
(female)

number 81 HB User

LOL! Its funny that you mentioned cutting out sugar and upping protein becuase i just told my husband on Sunday that i would cut sugar out of my coffee/tea and start eating chicken again!

BTW, high school was a while ago for me too! I'm wondering if thats part of the problem in gaining weight; i'm still young but not THAT young anymore! Metabolism isn't so good anymore! Youth is definately wasted on the young!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

lol I hear ya. I'm 39y/o and every 5 years your metabolism takes a punch so it's normal. One of the not so nice things of getting older. That's why you have to shock your body sometimes to get it kick started again.

Yes, I use Splenda in everything now and it really made a difference. HUGE! Splenda is a sugar derivative anyway so I think it's better from the others from what I've read. I'm pretty much used to the taste now as well. I've even used it in cooking and it's fine. Expensive though. I wish I could just do without any sweetners altogether.

So make sure you report back - I love to hear success stories. ))))

Have a great day
Laurie

Old 11-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
(male)

curtxxx HB User

Basic research indicates that you will gain anywhere from 5-10 lbs when quitting smoking; however, that same research also indicates that the weight gain you have experienced should dissipate within that six month period (assuming of course you have made an adjustment to a healthy lifestyle BESDIES only quitting smoking)

Closed Thread