It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
(female)

someoneyouknow HB User
Ok I need some advice..I relapsed

I have never been on here before, sooo I'm new!

I "quit" smoking 15 months ago, I used to smoke a pack and a half to 2 packs of Camel Lights a day. I went 9 months without a single cigarette and then one day I smoked a clove cigarette with a friend and since then I have been able to have a clove cigarette every now and then (like about once a month or every 2 months) with a friend or 'special occasion' kind of thing until the last month. I don't know what got into me! The clove cigarettes got banned for a while then came back, but they were cheaper and only had 12 in a pack instead of 20 so I have been buying them and secretly smoking 1 to 4 cloves a day and hiding it from everyone. I feel so ashamed of myself I keep telling myself I'm going to stop but after about a day or 2 without one I buy another pack, I can't keep doing this!!! I am temped to go and buy some commit losenges or the nicotine gum to help me kick this before it gets way to out of control! I haven't told anyone and its been eating me up inside. I feel like a failure and I am so dissapointed in myself, at first I was in denial but I am getting hooked on the nicotine again, its getting to the point where all I can think of is when I can sneak another smoke in! What should I do???

I am so frustrated!!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
(female)

fitforlife1980 HB User
Re: Ok I need some advice..I relapsed

Someoneyouknow,

First you're NOT a failure! Remember back when you first quit how hard it was. Doing that all over agian will be just as hard.. You should be well proud of yourself for quitting in the first place. Don't beat you're self up. I'm no expert but if you find yourself falling back into a pattern STOP and reevaluate WHY are you smoking again?
nip it in the bud NOW!!! YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL YOU DON"T NEED NASTY CLOVES!!!

I'm on my 3rd day of being smoke free and becoming a non-smoker! Good luck!

~fitforlife1980

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneyouknow View Post
I have never been on here before, sooo I'm new!

I "quit" smoking 15 months ago, I used to smoke a pack and a half to 2 packs of Camel Lights a day. I went 9 months without a single cigarette and then one day I smoked a clove cigarette with a friend and since then I have been able to have a clove cigarette every now and then (like about once a month or every 2 months) with a friend or 'special occasion' kind of thing until the last month. I don't know what got into me! The clove cigarettes got banned for a while then came back, but they were cheaper and only had 12 in a pack instead of 20 so I have been buying them and secretly smoking 1 to 4 cloves a day and hiding it from everyone. I feel so ashamed of myself I keep telling myself I'm going to stop but after about a day or 2 without one I buy another pack, I can't keep doing this!!! I am temped to go and buy some commit losenges or the nicotine gum to help me kick this before it gets way to out of control! I haven't told anyone and its been eating me up inside. I feel like a failure and I am so dissapointed in myself, at first I was in denial but I am getting hooked on the nicotine again, its getting to the point where all I can think of is when I can sneak another smoke in! What should I do???

I am so frustrated!!!!!!!!
You do know you can smoke 4 cigarettes a month and develop that addiction to nicotine. It doesn't take much. The next time you buy some, smoke one or two of them, it'll give you the strength to do this next step, then take whatever is left over in that pack, break them into pieces, throw them in a creek, and tell yourself: this is the last time and I am NOW FREE of nicotine! Part of not smoking is not giving in to the temptation. That temptation is your withdrawal of not having a smoke.

Did your friend try and get you to smoke knowing you was 9 mths without one. To me, that's not being much of a friend. I just can't imagine going that long without one, and then smoking again. You really need to think about why it is that you quit in the first place and remind yourself over and over. Your friends need to have enough consideration not to smoke around you, if you caved in after 9 mths, you must enforce this yourself. Do not let anyone do that around you. Now look where your at, back to square one. This addiction is a life time disease in which you will forever have to learn to say no to.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
(male)

garyfoster HB User

The key thing I picked up was your emotional connection --- i.e. with a friend.

These can be the most challenging to let go, however one technique which can work very well is to repeatedly say to yourself:

'I'm a non-smoker now and I feel great' - whilst saying it picture, hear and feel yourself being a non-smoker now.

Let go of what you call failure - otherwise your mind will remind you what happens when you fail (i.e. put a cigarette in your mouth) - it's called coue's law of reversed effort - the more you try not to do something, the more it happens - which can be used positively too by using the phrase suggested above.

If anyone offers you a clove or cigarette just say:

'No thanks, I'm a non-smoker' - just go for it

Best of luck,

Gary ...

Old 12-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
(female)

PtC HB User

I really don't understand this. I smoke---I also a quit for a decade--however I do not smoke so much. I smoke about 6 a day and refuse to let these little monsters get the best of me. Big Deal! so I smoke--I promise I will not blow it in anybody's face--what is wrong with this picture? Me, huh/ What else is new...

Last edited by PtC; 12-19-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtC View Post
I really don't understand this. I smoke---I also a quit for a decade--however I do not smoke so much. I smoke about 6 a day and refuse to let these little monsters get the best of me. Big Deal! so I smoke--I promise I will not blow it in anybody's face--what is wrong with this picture? Me, huh/ What else is new...
Some people (say like myself) seriously lack such control where they could smoke a few a day and that be that. It's torcher like trying to quit alltogether. I have a serious lack of self-control with nicotine. If I smoke a few, then I'll end up smoking 3 pks a day again before it's all said and done.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
(female)

mathgrrl HB User

Is it the nicotine or is it the act of smoking? Have you tried herbal cigarettes?

Old 12-23-2009, 02:52 AM   #8
(male)

dhamne14 HB User

i am 26 male before few months my platelet count decreases to only 5000 count
after that i was hospitalized and now its is ok and normal to 165000 count

Doctor says that it has been done by taking alcohol and i was taking alcohol twice a week.. so now i quit to take alcohol, smoking , chewing tobacco ..

so my question is can i had a alcohol once in month pls suggest me .or quit taking these

Last edited by dhamne14; 12-23-2009 at 02:53 AM.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:07 AM   #9
(male)

dhamne14 HB User

i am 26 male before few months my platelet count decreases to only 5000 count
after that i was hospitalized and now its is ok and normal to 165000 count

Doctor says that it has been done by taking alcohol and i was taking alcohol twice a week.. so now i quit to take alcohol, smoking , chewing tobacco ..

so my question is can i had a alcohol once in month pls suggest me .or quit taking alcohol

Closed Thread