It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

patty63 HB User
Smile 1st day on Chantix

Today is my 1st day taking chantix. I have tried other stop smoking aids but none of them worked for me or and maybe I wasn't ready. I am ready now and I am hoping this works. I was a bit nervous taking that 1st pill - not sure if it was worrying about the side effects or the not smoking. I am hoping I don't have any of the side effects tho.
I am curious as to how anyone taking it has reacted to chantix. Now do you just smoke for the 1st 8 days and then just stop because your cravings go away or because those are the rules with Chantix?
I've read the booklet my dr gave me and the getquit web site so any additional input/help I would really appreciaite.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
(female)

mynewyear HB User
Re: 1st day on Chantix

I've used it and I am now and started christmas morning. I quit smoking the first pill I took. It must of messaged my brain that I don't smoke. I have no urge or desire and the best part is no side effect. Now that I am feeling confident i can do this again I will. I do not use the pill correctly. This is my third time and I think I will use it the right way this time. I usually take the pills then quit after a week since I know the nicoteine is out of my system. When I do this, I quit smoking for about 3 months then something makes me return again(stress). Since it is a new year, I am going to focus on learning how to run 2&5 K and maybe my addiction will turn to exercise. Good Luck. The pill is amazing. I just am always cautious taking any pills for a long period of time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
(female)

Goosel HB User

Hi,

I am on day four. I must say that I do not crave cigarettes. When I light one, they don't taste good. It is not that they taste bad, but they don't give me that sense of satisfaction. I am smoking just as many, but putting them out after taking just about 3 or 4 puffs. What a waste of money but I am looking at the bright side....

On the not so bright side...wow, I have been super nauseaus for about 30 minutes after each pill. What is worse is how I feel in general. I feel lethargic and just don't know what to do with myself. I start doing chores and get tired so I lay down for a while. Then, I get a surge of energy and am productive for about a half an hour and then get really tired again.

I don't feel depressed at all, just sort of blahhh....

I have off of work until after New Years so I am going to stay with it until then and hope that the symptoms subside. If I had to go to work now, I defninitely would have stopped the Chantix. This is strong stuff!!!

Good luck to everyone else.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
(female)

hunterfirst HB User

I am on Chantix day six after quitting.
No the cravings don't go away immediately but once I quit the Chantix has helped by making it easier for me to use willpower because I am not having withdrawls and the cravings are almost gone. I get a stomach cramp about ten minutes after taking the pill and am more tired but I just keep reminding myself that I won''t be on this forever, just long enough to keep from smoking again. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

I tried Chantix and my doctor took me off, after having memorable, horrific, bloody nightmares and extreme nausea. Doctor said not worth that. I had quit for 3 months on it however. But mostly due to being in hospital (for other reason). Soon after quitting this product, I smoked (only one) cigarette, which then, of course, lead right back to my usual smokes per day (too much).

Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
(female)

patty63 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosel View Post
Hi,

I am on day four. I must say that I do not crave cigarettes. When I light one, they don't taste good. It is not that they taste bad, but they don't give me that sense of satisfaction. I am smoking just as many, but putting them out after taking just about 3 or 4 puffs. What a waste of money but I am looking at the bright side....

On the not so bright side...wow, I have been super nauseaus for about 30 minutes after each pill. What is worse is how I feel in general. I feel lethargic and just don't know what to do with myself. I start doing chores and get tired so I lay down for a while. Then, I get a surge of energy and am productive for about a half an hour and then get really tired again.

I don't feel depressed at all, just sort of blahhh....

I have off of work until after New Years so I am going to stay with it until then and hope that the symptoms subside. If I had to go to work now, I defninitely would have stopped the Chantix. This is strong stuff!!!

Good luck to everyone else.

I was very nauseaus too. I finally called my doctor and she told me to cut the blue pills in 1/2 and its a lot better. The first week when I smoked the cigarettes did have not a good taste either and would put them out after a few puffs too.
I have also stopped drinking coffee because I link it with smoking, so for now I'm not going to drink it..but I'm sure I will hopefully soon. I figured my tiredness was no coffee, but now I'm not sure. I'm just taking this day by day. I have been smoke free since Christmas Day having only 3 puffs. I still crave at times, mostly when I find myself bored or nothing to do. I hurry and find something to do real quick.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Question Re: 1st day on Chantix

CONGRATS Patti, & everyone who has quit! That doesn't include me ... I quit on Chantix during heart surgery (as stated before), but started smoking again. I consider this insanity, as I now have a metal heart valve and am still smoking! Psh.

I'm afraid to try Chantix again due to it's side effects with me. Heard of Zyban... anyone familiar with that? Does it work? Guess I need to research that more. Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated too!

Closed Thread