It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Question Chain Smoker; What To Do?

Hi!
I've been a chain smoker for these last years of smoking. But have been cutting back lately. I'm planning to quit, having made up my mind. I'm doing the modules to help me quit provided by the American Lung Association.

My questions are: what is the best way to quit for me?! That fits my lifestyle (sedentary, chain smoking pattern)? I have some losenges left... I don't know. What do I do with myself, my hands now? And what do I do when I have a craving? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Luv, ~lKaz

Old 01-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
(female)

silverandgold HB User
Re: Chain Smoker; What To Do?

Hi! I was a chain smoker too - for 15 years. I could go all day without a cigarette if I had to, but at night, when I was alone - I could smoke a whole pack in one sitting.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits all solution, but one thing is for sure: You have to really *want* to quit. For years, I "wanted" to quit, but not enough to actually do it. Finally, as I was nearing my 40th birthday, I thought, "if I don't quit now, then WHEN?" If you keep saying, "I'll quit tomorrow.....next week....next year...." pretty soon 10 years have gone by and you still are smoking.

It's not easy. I liked smoking. There were a lot of things I didn't like - and I focused on those things. I hated the smell of smoke on my clothes, in my hair, in my home. I hated knowing that every cigarette was harming my insides as well as my looks on the outside.

I quit cigarettes "cold turkey", but not without a little help. I live in a big city where there are a lot of middle eastern restaurants that have "hookah bars". They were pretty popular with smokers and non-smokers alike. Smoking a hookah still isn't "good for you", but it's much less harsh than cigarettes and the tobacco used is "all natural". They have cool flavors too - like grape, apple, and various other fruits and flavors. I tried to find a flavor that closest resembled Marlboro Lights (LOL) and would get coffee-flavored tobacco. If you smoke menthol cigs, you could get mint flavored. In any event, that is what I did for a while to "get over" cigarettes. THe smoke from the hookah is much less harsh, but it's *something* to help with cravings. After a while, I got bored of the hookah and well...haven't smoked in 2 years - hookah or cigarettes. It worked for me - so take what this what you will. I have seen those fake cigarettes that you inhale a "steam" like substance that simulates smoke that may be helpful. In any event...you can do it...it IS possible to quit and quit for good!!

Last edited by silverandgold; 01-31-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
(female)

her70cuda HB User

I smoked a lot, I tried cutting back but that made me think about smoking more. I actually would sit and think about how long till the next cigarette. I don't think that's productive in quitting. It's sort of like when you think of quitting and your brain thinks immediately of lighting up.

What helped me was to just smoke. Smoke and really notice how I felt in the morning when I got up before that first cigarette. Then I would smoke and really feel what the drug fix did to my body. The elevated pulse, the slightly sick feeling. It's there if you pay attention.

I said heck with it and I smoked a lot before I quit. Really noticed how it felt and how smoking too much made my skin and teeth and tongue feel. How the stale smell would get into my hair, clothes, pores really.

Look at that ashtray and the multitude of butts. Smell it and know when you go out in public all the nonsmokers think you smell just like that. Something I never noticed until I quit was how bad smokers really smell.

I quit one day, it was at aobut 11:25 pm and I never smoked since.

I had bad days. Emotional, grumpy, ****** off days.

I went to bed early if I had to, I cleaned out the fridge, I broke a plate on the floor, I cleaned out the car, I drove off and cried, I did whatever I had to do to beat the drug addiction.

I know a lot of people who say they like smoking. I found for me it wasn't really "liking smoking" as much as liking that smoking and getting the drug fix held off the withdrawl.

The worst of it was over after 3 weeks for me honestly. Then it was a matter of keeping the self promise that I will no way in he## go through this again because truly each day you walk through you never have to do again if you just don't smoke. It gets easier and easier. You will be so happy and amazed the first day you have that you realize you've gone the whole entire day without wanting a cigarette. It happens.

Read "The Easyway" by Carr, it might help you also. You read it before you quit.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-31-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
(female)

comitted HB User

kaz, been there done it...and back to it ~sigh~. I know how it is. I actually went to a hypnotist. (one on one) not one where there are hundreds getting this done. It worked...and odd thing is, I didn't want to quit! It was tough..yes, yes yes. but after 3 years, i went back to it. ( out with girlfriends..one lead to another so on, and so on.) If you don't go out to bars..and can clean out a drawer..write a letter, draw a doodle, and just keep busy, besides sleeping, YOU CAN DO THIS. I will attempt it again at the end of Feb!...will let you know!...KEEP GOING..it can be done..Never thought I would when I did!...keep telling yourself, omg i got through it this long...I CANNOT go back now!...move move move..walk, run, watch a movie..make a collage..just do it! I am with you!

Closed Thread