It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

deevine2c HB User
Quit smoking...now taking deep breaths?

Hi everyone, I am new here and am hoping I can find someone with a similar issue. I am 30 days smoke-free today after smoking for about 17 years. I went through the coughing up mucus and feeling down, sleepless nights, strange and vivid dreams, and crabbiness but thankfully not getting too ill like some people do. My concern is that since quitting I have to constantly take a good deep breath (kinda like a deep sigh). I first thought maybe it's psychological and I am learning how to breath again, then I thought my body is just changing since I no longer have nicotine in my system. Its been a month and I am doing great with the cravings but why the deep breaths? I was recently hospitalized for a bad bad cold and severe dehydration, hence the reason I quit, and according to doctors my lungs sounded and looked very good. I find it a little annoying that I feel the urge to take deep breaths constantly. If anyone is going or has gone through this and has some sort of explanation I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks all and have a great day

Old 04-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
(female)

circadia HB User
Re: Quit smoking...now taking deep breaths?

I found myself doing that too after quitting. I'd forgotten I even did until I just read your post. I quit six months ago, and I'm thinking my random deep breaths went on for maybe 3 months or so? Can't quite remember, but I thought it was related to the bloating and gas that I experienced for the same amount of time (which is also very common when you quit, but how long it lasts varies from person to person).

Congratulations on quitting

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
(male)

BrendanM HB User

I find myself doing the same. I smoked for 7 years and just quit a month and a half ago. I also have asthma. It's like you breath breath breath but these breaths are not enough oxygen for you're body and sooner or later you need to pause and take a deep breath. I've started running every second day in hopes that this will help fix this.

Sounds like the above poster experienced this, and after 3 months it subsided. I hope it does, its very annoying.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

I read on a website that this occurs because your lungs are getting more oxygen then they are used to now.
I went through it too.Don't worry,it doesn't last

Closed Thread