It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
(female)

tashandi HB User
can quitting smoking when you're old kill you?

My grandma who is 83 is in hospital, she's always smoked and that's the reason why she's there in the first place. However I have heard that when an old person stops smoking that it can cause more serious problems and that stopping can actually kill you. It's her only pleasure in life she has leukaemia and emphysema and is ready to go surely it's wrong to deprive her of her fags it's all she has left.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2010, 03:30 AM   #2
(male)

timpa HB User
Re: can quitting smoking when you're old kill you?

It's very unlikely it would kill her, it should help her live a little longer, people think that because it can cause some problems, and most old people waited to long to stop.

Having said that, it's a toss up to make her stop or just let her keep smoking, only her and family and doctor can make that choice, if it gets to bad family should make her cut way down, or even stop if need be.

We left our family smoke to the very end unless, they need oxgen with tanks hooked up, then of course they have to stop, so family her and her doctor should, talk all this all and work it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: can quitting smoking when you're old kill you?

My Mom quit when she was 85, her health only got better, before that, we were giving up on her and thinking she had little time left, she is now 88.

Sunny

Closed Thread