It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Chantix does more than just help you quit smoking

I quit smoking on new years, I went through alot of stress, anxiety, depression, breaking out in hives, and had to go on an antidepressant. I never did during that 5 mths once stop wanting nicotine, and the antidepressant stopped working, and I started smoking again. I quit several days ago taking Chantix and haven't had any problems whatsover. Just went through a nervous breakdown and my Lexapro was doubled, still didn't get rid of the problems, but after I started taking Chantix, this stuff stopped all of my high stress feelings/anxiety, depression completely. COMPLETELY! It's amazing. I am deprived of REM sleep too and now I'm getting plenty of deep sleep and these really wild vivid dreams (some people don't like that side effect from chantix but I don't mind). Just wanted to share the story with anyone thinking about quitting, this stuff is great. I was a heavy smoker (3 packs a day) and I did this without any problems. All I had to do was be willing to say no, and when I did, there was no suffering, (and trust me I know how hard it is to quit on your own and what it can put you through).

I don't think Pfizer realizes they not only got an excellent quit smoking pill but they have something in this that is GOD SENT for REM sleep deprivation and anxiety/depression issues.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neveragain444 For This Useful Post:
nichi (11-14-2010), RANDOL (11-08-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: Chantix does more than just help you quit smoking

As much as I love this medication, the more I thought about it today, the more I wonder, what happens when I quit taking it, if it can affect my mood now, am I going to be headed for trouble when it's time to quit taking it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

BlowinSmoke HB User

You are not alone. I have always suffered from insomnia and spend most of my time dragging through life. On Chantix, I go to bed earlier and sleep much more soundly. Even on nights when I stay up to midnight, I still wake up more refreshed than usual. My dreams aren't that vivid or wild but I noticed I'm dreaming more often.

I have been growing concered about quitting the Chantix too. I'm worried my cigarette cravings will get stronger. I'm worried that I might have withdrawl or side effects from not taking Chantix. And I don't want to have insomnia again.

I'm even worried that Chantix might be addictive and maybe my worries are an indication that I'm becoming too dependant. All I know is, I feel good, I'm smoke free and I don't want that to end.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlowinSmoke For This Useful Post:
RANDOL (11-08-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
(male)

Bionic30man HB User

Hey people well that's good that chantix working for you guy's & girls but I've had these other ones called champix and they didn't work for me but I have stopped with patches for a yr & half this is in relation of the sleep problems well when I stopped with patches after yr of no smoking I started sleeping really well and I've suffered insomnia since I was a child put it this way I use to go for 5 or 10 mile runs at anything between 0200hrs to 04,0500hrs that's how bad I was but after that yr of not smoking I slept like a baby.So keep going people and that awsome sleep will come for the insomniac's lol!

But just to note I have a mate that stopped on champix tablets and he still not smoking and it's yr now it will work for one but maybe not others but what ever works,works so just go for it and cut those bloody fags!

Oh just for those who don't know what champix is it's the same as the tablets called chantix But champix is europes brand name and chantix is usa's brand. But theres was these band tablets called zyban which done the samething but
they discovered them when they given to the
armed forces for another reason, the soldiers
that where smokers stopped smoking and
they band them cause they had harmful
mental side effects so they designed another
tablet and took the ingredient that's stops u
smoking and took the bad side affects that
Zyban had and now it's called champix
and chantix.

Hope this helps people.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bionic30man For This Useful Post:
RANDOL (11-08-2010)
Old 09-05-2010, 05:12 AM   #5
(female)

andren HB User

Nicotine, or at least nicotine + whatever in cigarettes, is a medication for depression and anxiety for many, that's why 75% of mentally ill people smoke, and part of why people become addicted - the self-medication. We have nicotine receptors in the brain and some of us metabolize nicotine in a way that does not occur in everyone. Sibling and twin studies have shown that that genetic reaction plays a core piece in why we became quickly addicted to tobacco products (especially cigarettes with their 'crack nicotine' rush).

Chantix fills the nicotine receptors (among other things), so it makes sense that it would have many of the same affects. Unfortunately it's a 'one size fits all' charge on the brain, unlike the personalized fine tuning each of us could do with cigarettes (etc.), and that's why the results are so unpredictable.

The Following User Says Thank You to andren For This Useful Post:
RANDOL (11-08-2010)
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
(female)

stressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB User

I am taking chantix now. I am on my 3rd week taking them and 10 days not smoking. I am not having any side effects from them, but after reading everyones post, I am wondering if I will be ok when I stop taking them. Will I be wanting to smoke again?

The Following User Says Thank You to stressy For This Useful Post:
RANDOL (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
(female)

gjaxzon HB User
Wink Re: Chantix does more than just help you quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
I quit smoking on new years, I went through alot of stress, anxiety, depression, breaking out in hives, and had to go on an antidepressant. I never did during that 5 mths once stop wanting nicotine, and the antidepressant stopped working, and I started smoking again. I quit several days ago taking Chantix and haven't had any problems whatsover. Just went through a nervous breakdown and my Lexapro was doubled, still didn't get rid of the problems, but after I started taking Chantix, this stuff stopped all of my high stress feelings/anxiety, depression completely. COMPLETELY! It's amazing. I am deprived of REM sleep too and now I'm getting plenty of deep sleep and these really wild vivid dreams (some people don't like that side effect from chantix but I don't mind). Just wanted to share the story with anyone thinking about quitting, this stuff is great. I was a heavy smoker (3 packs a day) and I did this without any problems. All I had to do was be willing to say no, and when I did, there was no suffering, (and trust me I know how hard it is to quit on your own and what it can put you through).

I don't think Pfizer realizes they not only got an excellent quit smoking pill but they have something in this that is GOD SENT for REM sleep deprivation and anxiety/depression issues.

Sounds like you are doing great! How long have you been on chantix? I'm on day 8, my quit date. I hope it works for me as it did you!

Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to gjaxzon For This Useful Post:
RANDOL (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
(male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User

That Chantix sounds great for me,im going to ask my Dr. about getting it for me,thanks yall.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
(female)

hkramb HB User

I've done Chantix twice, first time quit for 8 months then thought I could just have one or two...boom, progress lost. It really does help with the anxiety,you just tell yourself "No" when you want one. Some days that's only once or twice, some days like today for me its every 15 minutes, but I never feel crazed or out of control or like an animal seeking a fix. Today I'm stressed about other things so its harder, you almost have to take the chantix AND a vacation from your stressors to be successful.

I think if they just let you take the chantix and lay in bed for 3 months with a stack of books it would be so much easier. Good luck!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
(female)

stressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB User

gjaxzon-hope your doing well with your quit! Keep posting and if you have a bad day, just post to vent...we can handle it lol Good luck!

Randol- Good Luck in what ever you decide. Just keep going for the quit!

hkramb - must be in that perfect world where you could lay in bed for three months....but then in that perfect world there would be no stress!!!! I guess it exists only in our dreams...

Closed Thread