It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
(male)

goodlungs HB User
why do I still want a cigarette after 4 months quit

why do I still want a cigarette after 4 months quit

Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: why do I still want a cigarette after 4 months quit

Because you're an addict. I am, too. I still want a smoke after three years being quit. The urges are more seldom and they diminish in strength, but they are still there and likely will be there for the rest of my life.

We are nicotine addicts.

Don't give in. Compare today's urges and desires for a smoke with those that you had your first week being quit. I'm sure today's are lesser. Next month's will be even lesser. But always keep your guard up. Alcoholics know they can never have a drink. Heroin addicts know they can never have another "fix." Nicotine addicts know NOPE ... not one puff ever. We're just one puff away from a pack a day. Keep your quit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi, Don't be surprised. I am glad you quit. Your health will benefit and you will last longer. Never go back for the rest of your life so you will be less likely to get a lung disease called emphysema and also cancer. Yes I agree with the other person stick with it.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
(male)

torcal HB User

StenoLady1 is right on. Alcoholics drink and smokers smoke simply because that's what addicts do. I stopped drinking 25 years ago. I no longer crave alcohol but it's a damn shame I can't use it in moderation like most people. And I recall too vividly what's it's like to be a slave to alcohol. I quit smoking a little over a year ago and still crave cigarettes occasionally. But I knew, and even expected, that the cravings would come and go. However, I haven't given in to temptation yet and don't expect to. Too bad. I really enjoyed smoking and it would be nice to be able to do that in moderation as well. Moderation is my problem. That's why I'm an addict.

Some people might be interested to know that I can get rid of a craving for cigarettes by eating a small piece of unsweetened chocolate. And I have no idea why that works.

The Following User Says Thank You to torcal For This Useful Post:
stressy (11-09-2010)
Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
(female)

stressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB User

gosh, I am only 8 days without smoking. I was hoping by the time I got to 4 months I would not have cravings anymore.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User

I agreee with everyone here--we'll probably always want a smoke here and there even after quitting for a long time.

I will hit 5 months of no smoking next week and still want one pretty badly here and there.

I suppose the cravings will be few and far between as the time goes on.

You're doing awesome!!! Congrats!!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
(male)

liv4life HB User

I will try your chocolate secret... thank you.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

HI goodlungs! chew on a datelog instead! Its healthier!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
(female)

smbfla1216 HB User

I quit before for 8 years and still wanted one... which is how I ended up starting again. That was 5-1/2 years ago and I am quitting again starting today. It is something you live with and can't give in to or you will be starting all over again like I am. Stay strong! That urge only lasts a few minutes.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I knew a person who also had urges for a few minutes once in a while. She had stopped for years but she continues to avoid them because of the terrible health problems cigarettes have for people. I would do something else for a bit and not sit around thinking about it get the mind active on other topics. I would tell myself ooo that cancer would surely be painful and I want as little risk as possible so no more cancer sticks for me.

Thats what one person who was having severe painful problems because of another disease did to stop all the sweets even with cravings. She said to herself ooo it will hurt if I eat that even if the pain is much later. Hope this helps. :smile:

Closed Thread