It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
(male)

aussieguy1 HB User
8 days free ! Shortness of Breath & Depression ?

Hey All

So I am at day 8, man it has been a long 8 days !! Everyday feels like 2 days in one, but today I seem to have woken up and feel pretty OK with it all. I am using a patch, it is a low dose patch and I plan on sticking on that for a few weeks at least.

I will not go back to smoking, I do not want to have to go back to Day 1 every again it is hard enough doing it this time and I don't want to throw away all that I have achieved thus far.

Couple of questions though - I have suffered from depression in the past and still take medication to protect myself from going through it again - I am a little worried about giving up and it causing depression in me again - I have felt anxious and stress a lot since giving up but have dealt with it - I am sure it is just the withdrawal making me feel this way. So has anyone who has had depression still been on medication and given up had any massive dramas?

I am hoping that seeing I am on medication for it that this will minimise the depression withdrawal symptoms?

Also shortness of breath after giving up - yes I was short of breath from walking up a hill whilst smoking, but since giving up it has actually got worse? Is this just a temporary thing - how long is normal to feel this - weeks, month etc ?

Thanks for any info - greatly appreciated I am just trying to take one day at a time and at time one hour at a time !! haha

Cheers
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User
Re: 8 days free ! Shortness of Breath & Depression ?

Hi Chris, you are doing great--now it is 10 days for you ( I think)and that is wonderful!

I have suffered from depression since childhood and am on meds for it, as well as anxiety. It is normal to get more anxiety, stress, and sadness when you are quitting. Was your question about dramas asking if anyone has wanted to go back to smoking when a stressful situation comes up? I didn't quite understand the question.

I am on my fifth month and one week of quitting. I had shortness of breath in the first couple of months then it started getting better and better.

I am so happy you are quitting--it is the best thing we can do for ourselves.

Keep strong, stay positive, and be proud of your accomplishments with quitting. You are doing awesome!

Post here, we can all give encouragement and support, or just help to chat when you need an ear.

Take care

The Following User Says Thank You to eddysmom1 For This Useful Post:
aussieguy1 (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
(male)

aussieguy1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysmom1 View Post
Hi Chris, you are doing great--now it is 10 days for you ( I think)and that is wonderful!

I have suffered from depression since childhood and am on meds for it, as well as anxiety. It is normal to get more anxiety, stress, and sadness when you are quitting. Was your question about dramas asking if anyone has wanted to go back to smoking when a stressful situation comes up? I didn't quite understand the question.

I am on my fifth month and one week of quitting. I had shortness of breath in the first couple of months then it started getting better and better.

I am so happy you are quitting--it is the best thing we can do for ourselves.

Keep strong, stay positive, and be proud of your accomplishments with quitting. You are doing awesome!

Post here, we can all give encouragement and support, or just help to chat when you need an ear.

Take care

Thanks heaps, yeah I guess what I was asking is if anyone else had found by quitting that it had made their depression flare up again ? I think it is just take one day at a time and keep going - I hope each day gets easier !

Cheers

Old 12-05-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User

It will get easier. It just takes time, unfortunately. I am proud of you! Good luck and post here so we all can know how you are doing.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi was wondering how your all doing? I started up again after 5 plus weeks big big mistake trying to pack in again and its harder than ever! I hope anyone reading this if they pack in DONT START AGAIN!! IT REALLY IS HARDER TO DO AGAIN> Good luck all ps l had the shortness of breath too and chest pain ended up at hospital still waiting results!!!

Closed Thread