It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
(male)

bigfishknot HB User
Starting Chantix Today

Been smoking a pack a day for just under 6 yrs. I just took my first Chantix pill this morning. No difference during the day, but this evening I have noticed the urge to smoke has subsided a tiny bit (or maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me after spending HOURS reading these forums).

Was wondering if you could write back to these questions.
How much were you smoking per day when you started chantix? I'm am at my normal rate, but I'm wondering if i should have cut back before starting Chantix.

Also, does anyone else have anxiety about quitting smoking? It's not only the fear that I will fail. But... my entire day is structured around cigarettes. Thinking of life without cigarettes is like losing a loved one. Smoking has always been there and I'm not sure what life is going to be like without it.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Starting Chantix Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishknot View Post
Been smoking a pack a day for just under 6 yrs. I just took my first Chantix pill this morning. No difference during the day, but this evening I have noticed the urge to smoke has subsided a tiny bit (or maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me after spending HOURS reading these forums).

Was wondering if you could write back to these questions.
How much were you smoking per day when you started chantix? I'm am at my normal rate, but I'm wondering if i should have cut back before starting Chantix.

Also, does anyone else have anxiety about quitting smoking? It's not only the fear that I will fail. But... my entire day is structured around cigarettes. Thinking of life without cigarettes is like losing a loved one. Smoking has always been there and I'm not sure what life is going to be like without it.

I cant help with the Chantix questions, but i will do my best on the others.

Never worry about the fear of failing, dont think of it that way. Think about the acheivement of quitting. Think positive not negative.
I smoked 20 years a good 20 a day, and like you loved it and my life worked around the ciigs. But now im free, cigs dont rule me.. Also i hate cigs now for many reasons, so i use those thoughts to replace the love i had for them

Its all a mental state buddy. If you start to hate cigs and decide you want to be free then you will do it. Belive me i if i can quit anyone can

You can do it, just post when you need support

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hi, Bigfish

I quit with Chantix. I did not reduce the amount I smoked before starting the med. I was smoking almost three packs per day.

I also had the anxiety surrounded with quitting. I'd started smoking when I was 13. I honestly really didn't remember what it was like to not smoke. My memories of being a nonsmoker included things like believing in Santa, too. I'd never enjoyed a fine meal or an alcoholic drink without a cigarette. I'd never experienced sex without a cigarette after. I'd never had a cup of coffee without a smoke. I know just what you're talking about when you say you feel like you're going to lose a part of yourself when you quit.

But I promise you: You do not lose any part of yourself at all. You'll be amazed at how much time you find you have to do all sorts of things that smoking took up. You will rediscover so much as a nonsmoker. Foods taste delicious. Exercise and physical activity is something you can actually enjoy as a nonsmoker. You will smell good. Your wallet will be thicker. You'll be part of the "in" crowd as a nonsmoker instead of forever wondering when you can steal away for a smoke.

Then there's the health aspect. Tell me this: Do you have any friends who want to kill you? I mean really kill you. Poison you until you're dead. To die from lung cancer is a horrible, painful, drowning type of death. Name me one "friend" who you know in your heart of hearts wants you to die this way.

I imagine you don't have friends who intend to do this to you.

Cigarettes will do this. They are not your friend. Stop thinking of cigarettes as a part of your life that was good. Would you eat a little bit of rat poison every few hours and then wonder how you're going to live your life with no rat poison? Of course not. Put smoking cigarettes in the rat poison category. I know it's hard. We're addicts and our brains tell us it's okay to smoke but not to eat rat poison. But after the first 72 hours without a smoke, it's going to be a mental battle for you. The physical addictive component will be over.

You can totally do this.

The Following User Says Thank You to StenoLady1 For This Useful Post:
RANDOL (02-23-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
(female)

stressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB User

Hello Big Fish!

How are you doing? I quit using chantix and had no problems with it. I am now 4 months smoke free.

I read a lot of how bad smoking is and the horrible things it does to our bodies. Its stuff I already know, but when a craving got bad, it helped to be reminded.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
(male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User

Stenolady, Have you ever been told by anyone that they would be affraid to be around you during or after you quit smoking? My mom and my wife did say just that lol because i have a very bad additude when i dont smoke(other wise im the nicest and most pleasent person to be around) and my mom said that when i quit that im going to have to be on medication because mentally i wouldnt be able to cope. That was words from a Nurse thats been in the medical field for 23 years lol. Since we both started smoking around the same age,me 12yrs old,im now 34, What would you suggest i try besides gum or patches? Im thinking about trying chantix but may have to take mental med also to keep myself in check lol. Any ideas would be helpfull....Thanks so much!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Gosh, I really don't know, Randy. I believe we all get cranky when we quit, no matter how we do it. I don't even know if docs prescribe Chantix with another mind-altering medication to be taken together.

I know my brother is bipolar and has some real anger issues, and Chantix is not an option for him.

Since you know going in what will probably pose a problem for you (anger/crankiness) and obviously have the support of your family, have you researched tips for dealing with the edginess of quitting? I mean, there's a whole spectrum of grouchiness, and I don't know where you might fit on it.

I think they used to prescribe Wellbutrin for quitting, and it's also an antidepressant, I believe. Used with patches or gum, could that be an option for you?

I'd talk to your physician (you'd have to see one to get Chantix anyway), as well as any quit smoking counselors you can reach. Our state has a "quit line," and I think the American Lung Association has professionals you can talk to about specifically dealing with edginess, grouchiness and anger. Your mom would be a valuable resources, too, I'm sure with quit support resources and different ways to cope.

For me, it helped quitting with someone in my house. We were both just ****** off together, lol. Sleep helped (we slept a lot the first week quit), as well as video games to pass the time and keep our hands and minds occupied. Not sure if these things might come in handy for you, too.

Best of luck

Old 03-06-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
(female)

NotaChantixFan HB User

I would stop taking the drug. I stopped taking Chantix 1 week ago, I was on it for 27 days and it has made my life hell. I am now depressed, which I wasn't and my aniexty has gone up. I can't sleep fully during the night. I stopped smoking though! I don't think its worth it. The side effects aren't worth it!!!!!!!

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-06-2011 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
(female)

Soolaimon HB User

I am almost finished my course of Chantix having smoked for 27years, 1 pack a day, more or less. I, like you, thought I could never function without cigarettes. My life also revolved around smoking. Cigs were like my best friend and constant companion. So, you are not alone and don't be afraid. You can do it if you really want to quit.

My advice to you is to read,read,read as much as you can about nicotine addiction while you are starting on your course of Chantix. Get the book called "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allan Carr and read it during your first week. It helped because it is so true that knowledge is power. About the Chantix... You are supposed to continue to smoke as usual for the first week and then you will gradually notice that you will be reaching for a ciggy less often and when you do have one, it will start having very little effect on you. You won't get the satisfaction from it like you used to and it will start to taste strange.

Chantix has worked for me but you won't wake up one morning and miraculously not want to smoke. It is not a miracle drug. You have to put in effort as well, but Chantix makes it easier to not reach for a smoke when the thought comes into your head. When you get down to 2 or 3 smokes a day, just pick the next morning to stop completely. It will take some will power.

The first three days without smoking I was tired, had brain fog, and was not motivated to do anything. I was also sad and irritable. All I wanted to do was lay around and do nothing and talk to no one. I think this is a pretty normal response from what I've heard. At the end of 3 days of not smoking, all traces of nicotine will be out of your system. Then it will be a matter focusing on the psychological addiction. So, distract yourself whenever you think about having a smoke and just say each day "I choose not to smoke today." I thought of smoking constantly at first, even on the chantix but I just waited for it to pass. You can too.

Give the Chantix a chance to work. You will still think about smoking but over time, it will lose its appeal and slowly you won't think about smoking as much. Follow the directions for use and take the pill with food or you will feel nauseous for about 1 half hour. You will also have dreams at first as I did and many others. They may be very vivid, and sometimes wierd and bizzarre. These too will pass in time. Let me know how you are doing and if you have any more questions. Know that you can do it and that you are not alone.

Last edited by Soolaimon; 03-23-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: fixed Champix to American, Chantix

Old 03-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Something I did not know until recently was that a mixture of smoking and drinking is many times worse than just smoking. The two together give you a much increased chance of osophogeal and throat cancer. These must be the most miserable diseases to have. Everyone these days knows the dangers of cigarettes but it upsets me when I see so many teenagers smoking, especially females. I smoked for a relatively short time and gave up when a pack of 20 went up to 45 cents, heavens knows what the cost is now. All my friends who smoked heavily are all showing signs of ill health and the drinkers and smokers are either gone or life is hardly worth living.
A good time to give up is a special time, a birthday, or as I did New Year or your first chest pains!.
James

Closed Thread