It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
(male)

lonelyfire HB User
Am I totally f**ked?

Hi,

So here's the deal. I'm a 21 year old male. I have been a heavy smoker for about 3 years of my life. The longest I have really been able to stop smoking cigs was about 2 and a half months. Here's my experience to date now.

I started smoking for real in response to mounting stress in my life. I was spending my time with a woman who just stressed me the **** out, and she got to me. About two weeks or so of smoking, I started coughing green sputum. This scared me, but more stress just kept piling on in my life, and I continued to smoke. The friends I made in school all had a comical adherence to smoking ("man, smoking is good for you brah"), and I continued smoking socially.

Soon I was in the process of switching schools. During winter break, it became clear to me that a lot of my close high school friends had also taken up smoking. Predictably, this gave me further validation.

About a year ago from making this post, I started noticing that my mucus had streaks of blood (Note: to date, the only mucus with any blood has come out of my nose, not as a result of coughing). Naturally, this freaked me the hell out, and I just lost it. I resolved I would do away with tobacco, leading to the two and a half months noted above. This turned out to be my worst semester of college. At the time I was facing not only social dissonance with some of my peers, but also difficult classes.

Part of what I believe helped me stay quit for some period of time was that I avoided a lot of situations that could yield stress. But this went to devastating levels: me not adequately doing my school work, sleeping a shitload, drinking a ton, and generally killing time. I started smoking again because I just couldn't avoid these things anymore. It has been difficult since then.

Now recently, I got a cold where I started coughing the green sputum again. I managed to make it through most of the week without smoking, about 4 out of the five days that I was sick. Lately, my sputum is opaque and sticky as it has been for awhile.

Whats my point? Although I am most certainly addicted/dependent on cigarettes, I am under no delusion of their effects. I have mentioned my symptoms, but I am constantly being reassured that I'm not screwed at this current time and that if I quit, I can turn out ok. I ask my friends if I'm totally ******; they tell me, you're too young to be that afraid. One of my friends who studies pre-med (not that it matters) if you are able to quit before 25, you'll probably be fine.

So my question is, if I can just cut down and slowly waver off of cigarettes in the hypothetical timeframe mentioned above (hopefully much much sooner), will I be ok and will smoking cessation be a time where my lungs heal and I become healthier.

Quick recap of noticed symptoms: from green, sticky sputum, to generally clear sticky sputum, occasional blood-streaks on mucus coming from the nose, some chest tightness, cough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Am I totally f**ked?

You have been smoking for a short time, so no, you have plenty of life left in them and yourself. Sounds like a simple chest infection which you may want to see a doctor about.

As for quitting, well sooner is better, its as simple as that.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User
Re: Am I totally f**ked?

It's true, you are very young--but the sooner you quit, the better, as you already know.
I know someone years ago who said he was going to quit by a certain age, and, well, did not. Just keep trying--eventually you will stop for good. Good luck and best wishes to you!!

Closed Thread