It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User
Does an e - cigarette count?

Hi everybody,

I stopped smoking on Monday. I have done ok but tonight I went out for a few drinks with my friends. I knew this would be a danger point so in preparation I took an e- cigarette. As I had a few drinks I took to the cigarette and yes it actually worked and got rid of craving for a real cigarette.

Just a quick question, am I substituting a real cigarette for a non real cigarette and not really quitting?

Regards Kevin.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: Does an e - cigarette count?

You have stopped smoking.

You are still using nicotine.

The e-cigarette device produces a nicotine vapor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

blokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB Userblokecalledkev HB User

Hi there,

Thanks for that. I did find that it helped last night and today I am back to my routine of patches and gum. It has only been a little under a week and those closest to me keep reassuring me that I am doing ok and that I should take things slowly. I know I am using lot of nicotine substitutes at this point but I think the mistakes I have made last time was to try and rush things. This time I will use these aids to the point whereby I feel comfortable to reduce and hopefully stop using them.

I guess my ultimate aim is to be free of nicotine entirely but at this early stage, it is enough I have actually broken habits. It is all about association and although I won't class myself as an heavy drinker I do enjoy a few pints with my friends at the weekend. I know that I will now start to associate this with the e -cig. So I guess for the moment I will go with it and hopefully over time I will gradually be free of nicotine entirely.

Regards Kevin.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
(female)

Helena14 HB User
Smile Re: Does an e - cigarette count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokecalledkev View Post
Hi everybody,

I stopped smoking on Monday. I have done ok but tonight I went out for a few drinks with my friends. I knew this would be a danger point so in preparation I took an e- cigarette. As I had a few drinks I took to the cigarette and yes it actually worked and got rid of craving for a real cigarette.

Just a quick question, am I substituting a real cigarette for a non real cigarette and not really quitting?

Regards Kevin.
Hi Kevin,

I stopped smoking on Sunday night. 27/2/11 at 8.00pm was my last cigarette. Since then I have had patches, gum and e cigarette. As far as Im concerned I have stopped smoking. It is not my addiction to nicotine that motivated me to quit but rather the impact of smoke on my health. So in my opinion yes you have quit and no it's not a real cigarette. It does not have carbon monoxide and it does not destroy most of your bodily organs.

Well done and keep up the good work

Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Hi Helena,

And good luck to you too. I haven't used the e-cig since the weekend and have now settled back into a daily routine of patches and gum. I am actually on day 11, I can't believe I've made it so far. For some reason though today and yesterday in particular have been very tough. I don't know what brought it about but I just keep getting these urges to light up. Fortunately I am unable to as there is no cigarettes in the house. I am assuming this is just a phase and will pass soon, or at least hoping it will pass soon. I now find that first thing in the morning and last thing at night to be the worst parts. I guess it is just routine, wake up have a coffee and cig, then last thing at night have a final cig before retiring. Other than these last couple of days though, once the day is underway I find it not too bad and even when the craving come they don't last too long.

Other than that I'm doing ok. So, seriously, if anybody else out there is considering a quit it can be done. I have tried a few times and failed but this time I feel it is different. If I can get this far anybody can. Good luck to you.

Regards Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 03-03-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #6
(female)

Helena14 HB User

day 8 for me. This is the longest I have been without a cigarette since I was 14!!!!! I'm quite proud of myself. I have found the last two days quite easy. I know what you mean about habbit. But I'm determined to stick it out. I have energy I never knew I had and I had an xray today giving my lungs the all clear. I do get sad at times knowing I'll never have a smoke but then I hold my breath so I can experience the discomfort of gasping for breath my inevitable path should I continue to smoke. I'm using patches, gum has subsided and non nictonie e cig. Though I'm finding less need for these crutches. I've bouth Allan Carrs book and booked in for hypnosis. No excuse for failure.
GOOD LUCK and enjoy your clean lungs

Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
(female)

MystickalMaven HB UserMystickalMaven HB User

Hi Kevin, yes e-cigs count. I thought I'd use one to quit the real stuff and used the e-cig for 2 years. Just swapped one addiction for another and the supplies for the e-cigs are quite pricey. I tried to justify it with- it's only nicotine, no other chemicals, no different than using other nicotine replacements. I'm now in the process of giving up my e-cig and it's the same are cigs. I used to recommend these to people to quite smoking, now I know better.
good luck to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to MystickalMaven For This Useful Post:
blokecalledkev (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Thanks for that MystickalMaven. I have been looking around the net about them. Many people have many views on them but most all agree that they are addictive. This is not really the road I wish to go down, simply swapping out one addiction for another. I was only ever using it when I had a drink or two with my friends at the weekend and this past weekend I actually didn't use it at all. On what you have said and what others have said I am going to put it in the bin.

At the moment I am five weeks into a quit and for me this is as far as I have ever got. The last thing I want is to go through this all again because I have become addicted to e-cigs. My aim is to quit not swap, so I will not be using it again.

Kevin.

Last edited by blokecalledkev; 03-30-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
(female)

Good for you! Back when I started, not many knew about e-cigs, just that it helped them quit the real deal. Now so many I chat with are still using them. I myself have a quit date of June 4th for the e-cig. Nicotine is nicotine and a tough demon to beat

Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
(female)

Busted100 HB User

The big question is are you using the nicotine "juice" in it or not? You can get them with flavors and no nicotine!
IMHO, if you aren't using the nicotine, you're doing just fine! After you're over nicotine you'll probably feel dumb using the e-cig lol. I've got one too, that I intend on using to help me quit, not laughing at you, laughing with you!
If you are using the nicotine, you aren't quitting, you're just getting your nicotine in another way.
Good luck with the quit!

Last edited by Busted100; 04-06-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
(female)

Marhudz HB User

Yes, but u are still simulating REAL smoking. Gotta get rid of association. Hand to mouth, puffing and holding it. If you have to have nicotine, use the gum or lozenger. That's what I am doing, no more smoking! I don't care if it takes a year. I will break the association.
I think thats where the true habit lies.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
(female)

To answer the earlier question, yes, they sell zero nic juice. I don't think it matters what form you get your nicotine in, e-cig, patch, gum, etc...you're still getting it. period. I did switch to a straw, then chewing gum (regular hubba bubba) and now nothing. I see your point about keeping the addiction alive per say with the hand to mouth, etc...but some people NEED that to cope. I don't think it matters as long as the end result is the same, to quit for good

Last edited by MystickalMaven; 07-24-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Thank you everybody for the input into this thread. I am now nearly six month into my quit. I haven't used the e-cig for well over four months now and to be honest, although it helped early on in the quit I find now I don't miss it at all. I am off the patches but still have the occasional Nicolette gum.

I would never be so bold as to say I have beat it, the cravings are still there ( occasionally) but hey, for somebody who smoked at least a pack a day for the best part of 30 years, I'm slowly getting there.

If I can get to this point, so can anybody else that is considering quitting. I feel a lot better, my appetite is good (put on a few pounds though ) and I have saved a small fortune (so much so we treated ourselves to a brand new plasma TV). So all-round itís a win win situation.

Kevin.

The Following User Says Thank You to blokecalledkev For This Useful Post:
FireOpal (11-05-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 02:53 AM   #14
(male)

timpa HB User

I stop smoking after 34 years from age 10, it's been close to 2 year and stop from day one, of using a ecig after a yea of using a ecig, I had a spinal operation and had to stop ecigs for 3 months.

I had no real problem stopping the ecig but started back after the 3 months, I ask my doctors and all said ecigs was much better then smoking, but of course nothing was the best of all.

Nic is not what worries me about ecigs, it's the flavorings that could be a problem, so I'm trying to be careful what flavorings I use, I vap a lot and the cost is very low cheaper then RYO even now.

I buy my stuff online when they have good sales, and buy in bigger amounts, really it's not smoking and nic is no worst then caffeine, taking in the amounts with ecig usage, and most people can keep cutting it down a good amount.

My worry like I said is the flavorings that put into it, so I'm careful what flavorings I get and use, one thing is for sure though, it's safer then smoking by a long shot, so it's better to vap then smoke any way you cut it.

The Following User Says Thank You to timpa For This Useful Post:
Diantha (08-15-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Allen Carr- The easy way to quit smoking then you won't need any NRT.
congrats to all who have quit, harder to quit than herion I"ve read.

Reply Reply