It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

Jenna1104 HB User
Very nervous! Quitting smoking before surgery.

I am a 29 y/o female and I need to have a D&C done to remove a polyp on my uterus. It's surgery and they prefer to use anesthesia on someone who needs it because it is excruciating to get it done without I have heard. My appointment to speak with a surgeon. I will most likely have my surgery within the month after that.
If I completely stop smoking now will my body heal enough for the surgery? I know smoking decreases blood flow and can actually cause pneumonia after surgery due to breathing issues. My mother died in June of colon cancer and she did have a surgery. She did fine with the anesthesia and was a heavy smoker prior, but I do not know if I will fine as I think it varies from person to person. I want to quit but how long until I start to heal?
I have been smoking for about 13 years. I do want to quit because I do not wish to die from cigarettes. I want to do well with my surgery and recovery.

If there is anyone who quit cold turkey then what was it like? Does stress increase greatly because of it? I have been under a great deal of stress lately and I'm not afraid of more I was just wondering because I do have a lot of stress. What did you do to help relieve the stress from quitting? I have suffered several massive panic attacks. Techniques? If I quit now will my surgery be okay? Is it too late to quit?
This is very hard. I was reading about surgery and smoking and smokers do not usually do well with surgery. I want to stop but I need some support. I am sorry to sound like a worry wart. I just want to have all my worries under control before I go in for surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Very nervous! Quitting smoking before surgery.

Hi I read a story about a guy forced to quit cold turkey because he was trapped in a box car. Someone closed the door on him and he had no more cigarrettes. He was in there for about 3 days. There were crates of oranges in there so all he had to eat and drink were fresh oranges for 3 days. When he came out there were no more cravings for oranges. Some people have also taken frequent showers with cravings because it removes toxin of tobacco out through the skin. Also it is hard to smoke in the shower. So a person could stop buying them and they could also vacuum and clean everything in the home to remove smoke odors. A person could get rid of all smoking equipment such as ashtrays lighters matches. The car also will need vacuuming and cleaning.

A person could use prunes in case there is any constipation some people have suggested the pitted type and fiddle with the pit in the mouth just be careful with the pointed end to avoid scratching the inside. ( I am not sure actually personally if I would use the pit method) Straws can be fiddled with in the hands and mouth to keep them busy. Some people have used a rubber band. Some people have used carrot or celery sticks. One person at least used St. John Wort for decreasing nervous symptoms. I am very pleased about the decision to quit.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
(female)

Jenna1104 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply!
And those are some really great ideas. I can do it. It will be hard, but I want to be healthy in general and especially for my surgery.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jenna1104:
eddysmom1 (04-10-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi you are welcome! A person could also change daily habits and if a desire for a smoke comes say to oneself, stop, and change the thought to something else.

Last edited by sjb; 04-02-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: addition made

The following user gives a hug of support to sjb:
Jenna1104 (04-02-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
Jenna1104 (04-02-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User

Sorry you need to have surgery--but congratulations for deciding to quit smoking for it.
Smokers don't do very well with healing after certain surgeries. I am not sure about yours, but I had a surgery 9 1/2 months ago and I quit before it because of the information I read of the percentage of smokers who did not heal well after it.

I did it cold turkey, as you are planning to do. I was a smoker for over 20 years and had tried quitting before to no avail. This time it worked wonderfully.

My advice would be to stay away from other smokers as much as you can--at work, etc. If you live with someone who smokes, it's not that easy. But, don't keep them company when they go out for a smoke. Stay away from watching people smoke as much as possible.

Try munching on carrot sticks, or another veggie you like to curb your need to have that hand/mouth reflex going. Maybe gum, sugar free, would work for you. Reading in your spare time is a good thing--if you really enjoy the book it takes your mind off everything.

I wish you much success in your surgery and your stopping smoking!!!! If I can be of support, or just an ear--I am more than happy to be here for you.

Keep us posted on your journey of quitting and how you are doing before/after surgery.

Good luck to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to eddysmom1 For This Useful Post:
sjb (04-11-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi you are welcome!

Closed Thread