It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
(male)

nickblue31m HB User
Question Bone Fusing and Smoking

Hello,

My name is Nick i'm 31. I smoke about a pack and half a day. I live a very stressful life style as most people do. I enjoy smoking and I don't (didn't) want to quit. Everyone in my social circle smokes as well as my girlfriend and family. I know it's extremely bad for my health and people around me so we can leave that out(said with a smile). I'll try to make this not drag on. I hurt my foot really bad during work (workmans comp injury). I will be having surgery in a couple of weeks. They will be fusing 5 joints. I have been told by the doctor as well as many other people that you CANNOT smoke during recovery or use chewing tabacco. It greatly reduces your chances of fusing. I understand this and want to take the steps needed to quit. I will be going to see my Family practice Doctor tomorrow to talk about Chantix. The questions I have for anyone who wants to help is: What exactly is it in Cigarettes that will cause the bones not to fuse? Is there any products out there that I can smoke when I just can't take the urge off, NON-Nicotine Ciggs? Water Vapor? I'm really curious about the Non-Nicotine cigarettes. Will those affect the fusion? I know myself and I know I wont be able to quit "cold turkey" I need help, and this is a very stressful time. I've never tried to quit before, But I don't have a choice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

Nick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User
Re: Bone Fusing and Smoking

Hi,
I had a spinal fusion 10 and a half months ago and had to quit before it. I was told that smoking (don't know which chemicals exactly are the culprit, obviously alot of bad stuff in cigarettes) deprives your bones of oxygen, nutrients, and minerals--just like smoking does to other organs and tissues in the body.

The oxygen and nutrients and minerals are supplied to your bones by the blood stream and smoking elevates the levels of nicotine in your blood and causes the blood vessels to constrict.

Nicotine constricts blood vessels a certain percentage of their normal diameter. Because of the constriction of the vessels, decreased levels of nutrients are supplied to the bones.

I was told that this is the reason why the bones do not heal well for smokers after fusion.

I am not sure of alternatives for smoking such as e-cigs and all--I went cold turkey, had the surgery, and haven't had a smoke for 10 and 1/2 months.

I know it's awful to have to quit this way and I am sorry you have to have such a surgery on your foot. I wish you much luck with your surgery and with quitting smoking.

Take care and post on how you make out.

Closed Thread

Tags
bone, bone fusion, cigarettes, fusing, smoking