It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

Tobeytoo HB User
trying so hard to resist urges to smoke

Hi everyone,

I'm supposedly on my 4th quit day, but have cheated since the evening of the 2nd and now find myself close to justifying smoking which I really don't want to do.

Am thinking of starting my program from scratch again using a week to prepare where I can still smoke then cold turkey on quit day.

Anyone else using Chantix? I find I'm sleepy (that's the only side effect I've experienced)

Anyway, back to beginning -- how do you resist urges to smoke?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: trying so hard to resist urges to smoke

Congratulations on your decision to quit!

I quit cold turkey so I can't advise you about Chantrix. All I can say is lots of walking, push-ups, carry around a 2 litre water bottle and take constant sips of water rather than light up, also keep lots of fresh carrots, celery etc rather than eating, I do yoga, deep breathing, Tai Chi, whatever it takes to distract you will work if you really put your mind to it. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

What ever you have to do to keep your mouth empty of cigarettes, the better you will feel. Have you tried Ice chips, sunflowers seeds! Carrot sticks. celery with peanut butter, anything that keep your mind off the cigs. Keep writing, keep seeming help we are here for your! let your anger flow it it comes, lets your pain fly, if you feel pain, but not to any person, only to silly things/This is the same home for you then as it is now, and you can make it though...

Old 07-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User

I just saw this post today--how are you doing with the quitting?

It is such a great thing that you decided to quit! I wish you much success. Post and let us know how you are managing.

Take care

Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
(female)

msgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB User

just have decided to try and quit too (me and hubby)..
it was not difficult to decide which method to try, as some options were ruled out.. i already have to take ambien to fall asleep and i used to have bad dreams and nightmares ALOT until dr started me on the neurontin, and some of the side effects of Chantix are those things.also our insurance copay is $60 per month per person for a script.. so not an option!! the lozenzes and gum, are a bit pricey for a week supply for 2 people.. with lozenges the instructions say "do not drink anything 15 minutes before using", and due to already having bad dry mouth caused by some of my meds and other reasons... plus it is kinda hard to say "oh i am going to have a craving for cig in 15 minutes, so nothing to drink til afterward a lozenge".. so from plan to have a lozenge til it is dissolved, 35-45 minutes has passed with nothing to drink..
got some of the walmart equate brand patches and using those. we got a small variety of hard candies (jolly ranchers, werther's, life savers type things), and when we feel the urge, we have a candy..
good luck to you

Old 08-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
(female)

stressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB User

Hope you are doing well. Reading about the withdrawl symptoms helped me. And it does get easier. It is a very hard thing, but you will feel so much better.

Reply Reply