It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

Dottie1961 HB User
Need to quit smoking ASAP

I am looking for any advice you can give me. The truth is I have to quit smoking. I have COPD and recently at a foot doctor he could tell I smoke by rings at the top of my toes due to circulation problems. I just turned 50 and have a grandaughter who is 1o months old. I need to be around a while and I need to be a healthy person. I need advice, anyone out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
(female)

friday49 HB Userfriday49 HB User
Re: Need to quit smoking ASAP

Yes you do need to quit. And you've made the first step by admitting it and asking for help. I have COPD as well. I quit using the medication Chantix. Some people have problems with this, I didn't. You smoke while you take it; and then one day you realize you don't need to smoke.

Do not wait too long before you stop. If your life has not yet been changed by your COPD, quit before it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
(female)

Dottie1961 HB User

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried Chantix before and it made me very down.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

Only you can decide that you will quit smoking.

there are pills, patches, nose spray, gum, alot of things. One man quit smoking this way. he put a picture of his grandchild in the cig pack, so every time he reached for one he had to see his g.baby. A deterrant. So good luck to you. And dont quit quiting. I will pray you suceed.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-11-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Old 09-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

Try the different methods mentioned and then pick a day, do not change the day at all, and go for it. You must be willing to do it for you, not everyone else, that adds pressure and you may fall a few time before you really. I was lucky it was one time and been somber for 11 years. You can do it, just be ready to go for it. We are here for you. Hang in there.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

This is my day one. Miss cig with coffee so I might take out coffee since I only have a cup or two. Have gum and you chew and when it tingles you tuck it between gum and cheek. But my gum don't tingle. Am I missing something? The piece is to last 30 minutes. Someone have any feedback? So here we go!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
(female)

Dottie1961 HB User

Thanks Dee and Rosier for the support. The picture of the grandbaby is an awesome idea. Will let you know.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

Hey Dee! love your avatar!

Good luck Dottie and Dee and everyone else trying to quit, I'm pulling and praying for you. My bil did accupuncture. That was needles in the ear (or ears not sure). It worked for him and he was a heavy smoker. I never thought he'd quit. Unfortunately, two years after he quit he passed away from lung cancer that mets to his brain.

I used to smoke for 10 years. I quit 30 years ago. I was "lucky" that I got salmenella poisoning which sent me to the hospital for 2 weeks because when I got out I was so weak that the first cigarette tasted and reacted on me the same way as my first ever cig - made me dizzy and tasted nasty!

Oh well, I can keep going, but just know that those cigs are standing in the way of your enjoyment of life.

Last edited by sawbuck44; 09-23-2011 at 12:03 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to sawbuck44:
Dottie1961 (09-23-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
(female)

MollyOtis HB User

When I quit smoking, through my struggle I said to myself one night through tears while desperately wanting a cigarette " If laying here dying to have a cigarette is literally going to kill me, well then this is the way I'm going to have to die".
I was so desperate to quit smoking that I was willing to die trying. That was 17 years ago. Good luck, it will happen when you really want it to. It was the hardest struggle in my life, but so worth the pain.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
(female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User
Smile Re: Need to quit smoking ASAP

I smoked for over twenty-five years, and quitting was the best thing I ever did for myself and my family. I smoked almost two packs a day, and couldn't wait to get up in the morning just so I could have a cigarette.

I tried to quit several times and always gave in. I tried gum and depressants that my doctor prescribed. Nothing really helped. So one day I just decided I would never smoke again. I went cold turkey, and I suffered many side effects but it was the smartest and hardest thing I have ever done.

It's been twelve years since I quit. You will know when it's right for you.

Hope this helps a little. Let us know how you are doing. If you need any support please let us know. We are all here to help.

The following user gives a hug of support to grayfox:
rosier (10-07-2011)
Reply Reply