It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
(male)

Jooner18 HB User
I cannot stop smoking, and it is literally killing me.

I've tried every different OTC product there is. The patch worked for a while but because I've started sweating more and more over the past few years, they won't stay on. The Lozenges are worthless. They take so long to dissolve and taste terrible to me. With the gum, I feel like whenever I feel like it, I can just replace a piece of gum with a cigarette. So often times I do. I've had nagging chest pain over the past few months, so I decided to quit one day. I made it about 2 or three days, and once I started to feel better, I smoked.

One would probably read this and say, "he doesn't really want to quit". I do. I recently got into a suboxone program for painkillers and am having no trouble at all with cravings. Granted I'm enrolled in replacement therapy, but many cessation programs use replacement therapy, that's what every OTC program is!

So maybe I need something else, but I'm not sure what. I've heard okay things about hypnosis, I've heard mixed results on chantix. My father also quit using Chantix, with almost no problem at all. He practically made it look easy. Something is different about quitting this time, and I can't pinpoint it. So I thought I'd query the board and see what they have to offer in terms of advice and experience.

By all means, advise away!

The following user gives a hug of support to Jooner18:
FireOpal (11-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
(female)

FireOpal HB User
Re: I cannot stop smoking, and it is literally killing me.

Hi... I called my doc and had her call Wellbutrin into the pharmacy, it helps and the side effects are minimal. For the first 48 hours, it was hour by hour sometime minute by minute. I just kept telling myself I want to be clean for another hour more than I want that smoke. At night, I used sleeping meds to help sleep... today is the 5th day clean and I feel great. I chewed a few pieces of the NR gum... frankly, I don't even know if it works, it expired in 2009... I don't think I could have done it without the pills.

Smoked 1.5 packs/day for 25-26 years. I'm only 40.

Good Luck!~ Let us know what your plan is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
(male)

Itralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB User

Cold Turkey is the way to go! I looked at all the pings and pangs within my head as a spring board in helping me to stop. I rationalize how I was feeling as a real good reason, not to smoke. I always put in the back of my mind, that if I really wanted a butt theres no-one stopping me or holding a gun to my head. With each passing day the nicotine withdrawl feelings subside. you can detox your self in 7 days. Day 4 was the roughest for me. Once pass this stage, learning to get over the habit takes time.6-9 months for me. It's very do-able but, very easy to pick up again during this time. Will power is a valuable asset at this point. I do know that you really have to want to quit. Sure we all want to but, You must truly mean it. I had little diffuculty when I really truly wanted to! Best wishes to you in your efforts!

Last edited by Itralian1; 11-11-2011 at 04:12 AM. Reason: wording

Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

On your chest pain, have you seen the doctor, you need to be checked. It is good that you want to quit. It is never easy and it is a tough road, but can be traveled easily enough. You are in a good place to try again. Try these things, it might help, go for walks, get a hobby, chew on straws. Just finds things to keep the mind and hands busy. You will succeed. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
(female)

gottaquit51 HB Usergottaquit51 HB User

to me cold turkey is the way..i have tried evereything out there including chantix..this time i decided to go cold turkey. im on day 5 and feeling great. i do have an e cigarette, but i really dont smoke it, i just hold onto it. it helps..it taste to bad to smoke..im am very surprised i could do it this way..but im feeling it was the best for me..i cant see spending all that money just to fail ! chantix made me very irratable.. my only problem is my tongue is very very sore for some reason ! good luck to you on what ever you choose..but you will have to make your mind up..smoking is not an option !take it day by day..you can do it..

Old 01-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
(male)

Itralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB User

@ jooner 18, Hi I just got an email on your thread! I was just wondering how it was going and, have you made any progress moving forward? If you have not smoked, Glad to hear it. If you are still at it , keep up the good work. Shen I tell you this and Im don't say it at all to bring you down. It has been well over 9 mnths for me and, that sick feelin of wantin one still pops up! Old habits die hard man! Stay strong and come back to the boards and, just vent whenever you feel the need! Best thing I ever did for myself. I am still concerned though, if any irreversible damage has been done! Crappy feeling but, I am 100 % responsible!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
(female)

jas1964 HB Userjas1964 HB User

Just like others have said there are many things and many ways to try to quit smoking and you will find one that is the trick for you. From your post and with you reaching out I can tell you really want to quit and you will and can. I am also in the process of quitting and have quit many times in many years but for some reason this time to me is different and I have new goals to reach that will make this a permenant move for me. So best of luck to you. Hang in there and sometimes we have to spend the money to find the products to help us. I always felt that I would have spent it on smokes anyway so now I will just spend it on trying not to smoke. Makes more sense to me. Take a deep cleansing breath and please keep us posted.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
(male)

@ jas I c u r still stressed. Your words are full of wisdom so lighten up a Lil. We are all here to listen and, help one another through this maze called life. Was curious to how your doing and, thanks for your inspiring words! I Had one of them days where having a cig was on my mind to much. I too had quit many times before and, had been past this stage! I thought for sure I was gonna do it. And just think how easy it really is! (sigh) Nicotine does not go favorably with ACDF's. I WANT to get better. It's doing it for me so far! Best to You. And stay connected moving forward! : )

Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
(male)

souriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB User

cold turkey is deffinatly the best way
some people have as much trouble with the patches and pills as they would with cold turkey and you still have to get off them when the time comes
good luck

Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
(male)

MickyP HB User

What i did was go cold turkey and gave all of my money and cards to my girlfriend so anything at all i wanted i had to ask for it, and said anytime you find out i have a smoke you can slap me round the face as hard as you can physically manage, and i saw this evil grin on her face and knew i'd lose half my face if she got that opportunity so that was the last time i smoked.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
(female)

kittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB Userkittyluvr400 HB User

Anyone trying the patches....and they don't stick? I found that by applying them to my shin and taping the top and bottom with the white medical tape will keep them on really well.........even through a shower. I also started the patch with a higher dose than the typical 21mg. I had two 14mg patches on, one on each leg, to start, as I was a heavy smoker and needed more than 21mg. It truly helped my cravings really well. (cold turkey would NEVER work for me) I'd also have the gum or lozenger available during trigger moments that caused me to crave (all the mental parts, like after eating, waking up in the morning, etc..) to get me through those tougher moments. I'd stay on the dose as long as I need to, and when I felt curiously ready, I would drop to the next step down....in my case, the 21mg patch. Seems like I was able to drop down after a month. And once I did drop down, I found the first week somewhat easier, but the 2nd week was a little tougher, hense needing the occassional gum or lozenger to get through it. I am now on the 14mg, started last week, and all is well. I was lucky to find a smoking cessation program that gives you the patches/or gum, lozengers, chantix, etc...) for free. So I can't blame it on the price. Cigs are over 10 bucks a pack where I live and I can't afford that anymore, so quitting was a must. Maybe that helped. I can say, I loved smoking and if it weren't for the price, I would still be smoking. But sometimes you can't always get what you want. There are a lot of things we all love doing that are not good for us, but unfortunately, you just can't do 'em all for one reason or another.

I have not smoked for 9 weeks so far. :-)
Good luck to all and I hope you all succeed. It does make me proud to be conquering such a difficult addiction.......and I have had many other addictions that I have had to stop in my life, and sucessfully stopped them as well. But I consider smoking to be the hardest one to date.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
(female)

jas1964 HB Userjas1964 HB User

First of all jooner18, I hope things are going well and each day is getting easier for you.

Secondly Itralian 1, I am trying to chill out as I still have some stress. Too funny that you are sensing all my stress from my replies. I want my surgery to go well so yep smoking is out and my life will go smooth. Thanks for the uplifting post and putting a smile on my face.

Third to MickyP, except my apologizes but your story had me laughing out loud. That is just way too funny, hey but whatever does the trick. I cannot believe you offered that to your girlfriend, were you crazy. hahaha. But glad you quit and you are here to share that story.

See Itralian1 between your post and MickyP it lightened me up so I am good to go at least for the night.

But now seriously to jooner18 a big thumbs up.

The following user gives a hug of support to jas1964:
Itralian1 (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
(male)

Hello >Jas1964, was happy to see you are still out here and, more importantly nice to hear you are smiling and laughing too! I am in my 6th week of recovery just takin it slow and easy. I was told by most..... 12 weeks before feeling anything significant from surgery. Still not smoking and feeling better because of it! Hope all is ok in your world and, your decisions are becoming a reality for you.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
(male)

MickyP HB User

Yeah that was somewhere around my 40th quitting attempt and figured desperate times...
And i think the most important thing is it got her fully involved in me quitting, and i really do think getting "Help" from your family and friends is the most important thing if like me you've got zero will power.

Reply Reply