It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

epwv82 HB User
Wellbutrin worked first time, but won't work again...!

In June of 2008, I asked my gyno about Wellbutrin, etc, for smoking cessation. She prescribed it to me, (I think it might have been Zyban) and I started it, and literally within 1 week I had zero urge to smoke. I smoked my last cigarette on the 4th of July 2008 and it was great, until I broke up with my boyfriend in February, and several different stressors caused me to turn back to cigarettes.
So at my last gyno appointment, I asked about it again, and since I knew that it had worked the first time, with no side effects (and Chantix has some side effects that sound a little scary to me) I said I wanted to try the Wellbutrin/Zyban again first. She prescribed it, but my insurance only covers the generic, bupropion so that's what I'm taking. And it is NOT working at all. No change in desire to smoke whatsoever, when like I said, last time, it was almost immediate.
Has anyone ever done this twice and found that it worked once and didn't work the second time? And did anyone then try Chantix and get good results?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
(female)

nanrg HB User
Re: Wellbutrin worked first time, but won't work again...!

I had the same experience! It's SO discouraging ...

Anyway, I did a little research, and two forms of the generic Wellbutrin XL (slow release) have been recalled - because they do not work like the original. One is made by Impax, one by Teva.

I'm on a quest to get my insurance company to cover the brand name drug - they still list the faulty generics as their alternatives. My second option is to get an Rx for Zyban, which seems to be a little less outrageously expensive than Wellbutrin XL.

Do Not Give UP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
(male)

Joenewbie HB User

Yes you need Wellburtrin not Generic. Chantix has a fair amount of bad stories, this is my second time on Chantix and I went from 20+ Cigs a day down to 2 and that's my choice to have those two. Into my 3 or 4th week, I love and enjoy the dreams (99% of the time). Insomnia if you take at bed time, so 6am and 6pm work great and never on an empty stomach, between bites of food and a full glass of water.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
(male)

ycteach HB User

Cold Turk has the best "stick" rates

Reply Reply