It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
(male)

AlexxM HB User
Stopping Chantix early??

Going on week number 3, and haven't smoked in 2 weeks. Feels good. Now I want to stop Chantix all together after the starter pack runs out (1 more week).
Anybody done this and been successful? I know most of you will probably tell me to just continue for the 12 weeks and not to risk it. Well it's a financial decision for me. My insurance for some reason doesn't even cover a percentage of Chantix so I had to foot the $150 bill for this. I absolutely don't want to do it again if I can avoid it. (or actually I CAN'T really do it again)

Would like to hear other people's experiences.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
(female)

SaraDS82 HB User
Question Re: Stopping Chantix early??

I am in a similar position, i stopped smoking 10 days ago, been on the drug for 4 weeks, in week 5 now. I am experiencing bad fatigue and evening headaches, so i want to start weaning myself off in week 6..... i am on the maintenance packs now, so the 1mg, twice a day.

Did you stop? how did it go?

Last edited by SaraDS82; 03-30-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
(male)

AlexxM HB User
Re: Stopping Chantix early??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraDS82 View Post
I am in a similar position, i stopped smoking 10 days ago, been on the drug for 4 weeks, in week 5 now. I am experiencing bad fatigue and evening headaches, so i want to start weaning myself off in week 6..... i am on the maintenance packs now, so the 1mg, twice a day.

Did you stop? how did it go?
I haven't taken the Chantix for 4 weeks now. I actually left 3-4 pills in the blister pack when I quit. I haven't smoked in almost 3 months now and I feel great. Chantix builds up in your system so you won't truly be free of it for about a week after you quit taking it. I didn't feel any urge to smoke again and so far feel great.

I would recommend giving it a shot if you don't want to go the full 12 weeks. Nothing negative to report about quitting early or the Chantix itself. I think the 12 weeks might be to make it more fail safe for certain people or just a ploy to sell more of the drug.

Either way Chantix is as close to a miracle drug as I have ever seen before and I am glad I tried it.

Good luck to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlexxM For This Useful Post:
SaraDS82 (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
(female)

SaraDS82 HB User

Thanks AlexxM! I am thinking i will start weaning my self next week, taking one in the afternoon every second day or something like that.

And Agreed, people should be shouting from the rooftops about it!! I am trying to get all my friends to give it a try

Old 04-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
(female)

nix2412 HB User

Hi
I took Champix for 3 weeks but could not cope with the insomnia, which was chronic in my case. I then lowered my dose to 0.5 mg twice a day for 1 week and as no improvement to sleep probs., on my GP's advice stopped them altogether. I did not experience any withdrawal symptons at all from stopping Champix. Alas, am still only sleeping a maximum of 3 hours a night but the good news is that I am still not smoking and do not have the urge to smoke either. Although Champix did not work for me due to the side effects, which in my case is rare.......19/100 people for chronic insomnia, I still maintain that I would not have been able to stop smoking with the correct mindset, which I still have despite stopping the meds.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
(male)

AlexxM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix2412 View Post
Hi
I took Champix for 3 weeks but could not cope with the insomnia, which was chronic in my case. I then lowered my dose to 0.5 mg twice a day for 1 week and as no improvement to sleep probs., on my GP's advice stopped them altogether. I did not experience any withdrawal symptons at all from stopping Champix. Alas, am still only sleeping a maximum of 3 hours a night but the good news is that I am still not smoking and do not have the urge to smoke either. Although Champix did not work for me due to the side effects, which in my case is rare.......19/100 people for chronic insomnia, I still maintain that I would not have been able to stop smoking with the correct mindset, which I still have despite stopping the meds.
Good luck to you... I have no idea what "champix" is though. Sounds like you are talking about a different drug.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
(female)

nix2412 HB User

Champix is the Uk version of Chantix.
Best wishes.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
(female)

nix2412 HB User

Champix is the Uk version of Chantix.
Best wishes.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
(male)

ShadNuke HB User

My wife in on Champix, its the same drug as Chantix.... it all comes down to licensing issues with the names of drugs. In Canada its also called champix and so far my wife has been 2 weeks without a cigarette and the only side effect she suffers from is increased sex drive.... I can't keep up! Hahaha!

Reply Reply