It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

mcdonald309 HB User
Unhappy weird weight gain after stopping chantix

I have been doing alot of searching in the internet about this and it seems to be a real problem but I can't seem to find any solution.

I quit smoking with the aid of chantix. Happy to be smoke free for a year now. While I am happy to be a non smoker, I am discusted with the weight I gained. When I was on chantix and quit(even went through the holidays) with only gaining maybe 5 pounds. I expected this due to the fact of everything changing cuz of not smoking.

After I stopped chantix, almost right away I blew up. It is like wearing a fat suit around my middle section. It was a weight gain of about 30 pounds within two weeks. I have been trying everything to loose it but it wont budge. I have never dieted a day in my life and have been a pretty steady 125. So now I have to watch what I eat and am going to the gym. And have not been able to loose it.

If anyone knows of anything I would greatly appreciate the help.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
(female)

HIM HB User
Re: weird weight gain after stopping chantix

Hi there! I was wondering if you ever figured out what was causing the extreme and sudden weight gain. I too have this problem. I quit cold turkey and never used Chantix, though. I went to the doctor this week to see what I am doing wrong. I am really working hard in the exercise department and eating healthy food but the weight will not go away. I was never one to gain in my belly, usually only my butt and thighs, but it feels like it ALL went to my belly (boobs too, but not complaining). It's so uncomfortable and none of my clothes fit me.
The doctor said it is probably due to quitting smoking and that I will need to dramatically cut my calories in order to lose the weight. He said that smoking increases your metabolism, and it might be that my basal metabolic rate is naturally low, so when I quit smoking, I wasn't burning as many calories at rest. He also tested my thyroid but I do not have those results back yet.

Good luck and let me know if you find out anything!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
(female)

HIM HB User
Re: weird weight gain after stopping chantix

Just an update. I got my blood work back and my thyroid is normal. In fact, I am in really excellent health according to my blood work! It is a relief to know.

However, a bummer that I will have to work extra hard to get the weight off. The doctor said that it will eventually balance out but if I want to lose weight NOW, then I need to dramatically cut calories. It's just the way it is when you quit smoking, unfortunately. I am happy about my choice no matter how much weight I gain. I will not go back to that awful addiction.

Extra weight WILL be temporary. It's up to you.

Reply Reply