It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
(female)

freckleface1 HB User
Question COPD - Oxygen or Advair

I know Advair has side effects like Osteoporosis. Would it be better to switch to Oxygen rather than using Advair and Spiriva? My friend is suffering from soreness in his bones and I suggested that he use oxygen instead of Advair and Spiriva. (He uses both, along with inhalers all day long and still has a hard time breathing.) I keep telling him that ogygen might be a better alternative. Need to know if anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you,
Freckleface1

Old 06-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: COPD - Oxygen or Advair

The thing is, Advair and Spiriva actually treat the disease, that is, reduce airway inflammation. The increased risk of osteoporosis from Advair is tiny, and it helps lungs a lot. Also, osteoporosis is usually painless, unless you have fractures. Has your friend had a bone scan? That can determine whether he actually has any bone loss.

If he was on oxygen, he'd have to carry it around all the time. Generally doctors don't go there until the disease reaches a point where medicines aren't working enough any more.

Is he under the care of a good pulmonologist? That's the key.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
freckleface1 (06-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply