It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
(male)

iew101 HB User
Looking for Advice on Day 33

Hello,

So today is day 33. The actual act of smoking no really longer appeals to me..but what does is not feeling the way I feel anymore. My energy level has creeped up a bit which is nice, but I am still having anxiety and racing thoughts issues (like thinking of something you don't want to think about and then it makes it worse etc etc). I have had intermitten issues like this here and there but I kept telling myself that smoking won't help. It is defintely tought to stay quit when all I keep thinking is instant relief is only a gas station away. I also can't help but think since I've been smoking since I was 15 (now almost 30) that my brain/body doesn't know what to do, or can't work properly without smoking.

I seem to have a few good days..then a few ok days..then a few crap days. The cycle is getting old. For example, had a great friday, ok saturday, mini-anxiety attack yesterday and woke up this morning with like crazy thoughts running through my head and put me in a funk for the day.

I sued to be a steady even-keel kind of guy. Never to high never to low..but this not smoking thing has really but me in a wringer. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Looking for Advice on Day 33

Congrats on quitting!! You made it this far, keep up the good work!

I had anxious moments when I first quit(1 1/2 years ago cold turkey) After nearly 29 years, I quit the day before I had gallbladder surgery, so I had lots of anxiety trust me! What worked for me was to keep my mind and body busy - I constantly keep a water bottle handy and sip water rather than light up. I do yoga, deep breathing, lots and lots of walking, light weights, whatever it takes to distract you when your mind starts reverting back to the old habit. When you start getting those thoughts try this, it's called the Double Down Breath - you cover one nostril and breath in the other one to the count of 3; then you exhale through the opposite side to the count of 6; repeat for a minute. You may be surprised how more relaxed you will feel and the great thing is this type of yoga breathing helps keep your mind in the present rather than reverting to past or presents thoughts, that's part of the battle! Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rufous57 For This Useful Post:
crookedhearts (08-07-2012), iew101 (08-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User

I am only on day 3 but I'm dealing with these horrible episodes too, and I'm starting to think that they're probably not going to go away with the withdrawal-- I think these feelings must be the reason therapy is supposed to be an integral part of any successful quitting plan. As an addict, I'm so afraid I'll end up using any excuse to start smoking again, so I'm thinking group therapy would help me stay in "recovery" by reminding me that plenty of people are able to stay quit in the long-term (so I should be able to too!), and it would make me more accountable for my actions.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
(male)

iew101 HB User

So I actually went to a counselor yesterday to talk about all of this stuff. For me..I have been smoking since I was 15 (now almost 30) and since the age of 16 I have either smoked weed or drank, pretty much every night. I did it for fun but didn't realize it also helped me "relax my brain". Apparently as a young kid I was like, extra hyper etc so this would be why I always like the downer drugs more. Well now that I am not doing anything at all..obviously my old tendencies are starting to show again (anxiou-ocd etc). Add in that a high demand on myself to excell in everything..well you can see why I liked the calming effects of weed-alcohol-cigs.

So basically it comes down to 2 paths for people like us:

1.Exercise-eat right-find new hobbies-possibly take medicine and or try herbal remedies.
2. Self medicate

I would suggest talking to a counselor. I made 3 more appointments. Allow yourself to feel down, anxious and weird. I am on week 5 and I have good days and bad. (the old saying 1 step forward and 2 back)

The following user gives a hug of support to iew101:
rufous57 (08-09-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Congrats to both of you for quitting and hanging in there! You have to do whatever it takes to get over that craving - Group Therapy would be very effective in a quit smoking campaign. Please let us know how you are doing!

Do a google search on the Quitting Smoking Timeline and you will see that both of you are close to getting over the worst of the cravings. And also consider rewarding yourself for making it this far!

The Following User Says Thank You to rufous57 For This Useful Post:
iew101 (08-09-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
(male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User

I went cold turkey on April 13 2011.

Anxiety was a big part of it. Not so much craving to smoke but rather the anxiety is what I most remember, racing thoughts being a part of it. Stick with it - it will get better.

I still miss smoking or certain situations in which I used to enjoy a smoke but you can learn how to do things without the smoke breaks.

- Also, if you are physically able then join a gym. You can work off a lot of that anxiety and feel a lot better about your improved stamina.

Last edited by max55; 08-08-2012 at 08:24 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to max55 For This Useful Post:
iew101 (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by max55 View Post
I went cold turkey on April 13 2011.

Anxiety was a big part of it. Not so much craving to smoke but rather the anxiety is what I most remember, racing thoughts being a part of it. Stick with it - it will get better.

I still miss smoking or certain situations in which I used to enjoy a smoke but you can learn how to do things without the smoke breaks.

- Also, if you are physically able then join a gym. You can work off a lot of that anxiety and feel a lot better about your improved stamina.
Congrats on quitting! And you are right, the anxiety is the worst part of it! I never realized when I smoked that I must have had all kinds of anxiety. But, once I could get over the first few months, the cravings actually did stop. And I learned ways to distract myself from needing to light up. Funny thing though, now that my sinuses are clear, I can smell someone else smoking a mile away - whether they are in their house, or in the car in front of me with their windows rolled down. LOL

Old 08-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Keep up not smoking. It's a tough habit to beat. It's been about 5 yrs now for me and to be honest i can go for a year and not think about smoking then out of no-place a strong desire creeps forward. It's not overwhelming like it used to be and I really do not have any interest in smoking again. Don't fall for those games you mind will play on you rationalizing why you could start smoking again.
(i haven't checked in here in a long long time)

Anxiety and depression are some of the things I battled off and on the first year I quit.
I always described what I felt was like loosing my best friend. In a sense it was, that was what I'd turn to in both joy and stress and any time in between.
When the urge hit I'd down a big glass of water. Another thing that helped was to read books, it kept my mind off of smoking. So did exercise.

Hang in there, it's all worth the withdrawl in the end.

The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
rufous57 (08-11-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
(male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufous57 View Post
Congrats on quitting! And you are right, the anxiety is the worst part of it! I never realized when I smoked that I must have had all kinds of anxiety. But, once I could get over the first few months, the cravings actually did stop. And I learned ways to distract myself from needing to light up. Funny thing though, now that my sinuses are clear, I can smell someone else smoking a mile away - whether they are in their house, or in the car in front of me with their windows rolled down. LOL
I know, I never realized how offensive I really was to other people when I smoked.

Like what WoodsWalker wrote it is kind of like losing an old friend. They used to run those anti-smoking commercials where different people were trying to do things as a non-smoker for the ist time. In a way that is true , you do have to learn how to do everything without smoking. Driving, Working, Going out to eat, travelling, ...

There is a tendency to over glorify the act of smoking when we miss it. When you think about it - it really was not that great. Standing outside getting dirty looks from passerby's. Most of the time it was more of a pain in the butt than anything else. I still do miss it though. But that's ok. Time comes for us all when we have to stop fooling around and just stop.

Its a binary choice - you either quit or you do not quit. There is no in between. Cutting back never worked for me - just an excuse to continue smoking.

Last edited by max55; 08-09-2012 at 09:44 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to max55:
rufous57 (08-11-2012)
Reply Reply