It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
(female)

Ksmith7099 HB User
Day 4!

so today is day #4 of taking Chantix. I plan to quit on Saturday, but it's looking like it will be sooner.
Today will be my 1st day of taking 2 .5 mg pills. I haven't had much side effects other than a little lethargic. Although since last night I find I get a horrible headache after I smoke but I find myself still wanting to smoke. I guess it's just the habit of it. I wouldn't say I am necessarily craving one I just want one if that makes sense at all. Anyone have advice? I am trying to keep myself busy but I just feel worn out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Ksmith7099; 08-28-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User
Re: Day 4!

Good luck! I used to take Wellbutrin for depression and my doctor also prescribed it for smoking cessation a couple of times. I loved how I was allowed to smoke the first week, but I loved it so much that I only ever cut down and never really stopped...it was weird because it made smoking a lot less enjoyable, but I still wanted to smoke, you know? I smoked less, but I'd be taking these deep long pulls on my cigarettes b/c I think it blocks the nicotine buzz or something.

So I guess my advice would be to keep yourself in check and watch out, cause the quit aids are only that; aids, while it's up to you to do the actual work, you know?

Anyways, try to motivate yourself as much as possible and don't dismiss participating in therapy or support groups. All those studies they've done on to prove the effectiveness of the new quit methods (meds, nicotine replacment etc) involved tons of therapy (broke records, actually) so it was apparently an integral part of quitting. It's also sobering to realize that something like under 50% of people actually manage to remain nicotine free after the first 12 months! So again, don't discount group therapy. They even have internet groups you can join for free.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
(female)

Ksmith7099 HB User

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I joined the quit group that came with my chantix but it's more of like a informative website instead of a forum so that's why I joined here. thanks for the encouragement! I guess the medicine is doing its part so now it's time for me to do mine. My husband is a smoker & he went out to smoke & I didn't. I was so proud of myself for resisting! Yeah I have noticed I don't get the enjoyment of smoking like I did so I find myself sucking harder. Lol so I think now it's all out of pure habit!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Good luck on your quitting smoking program on Saturday - this is a great forum for support if you need it. I didn't use meds to quit but I can sure relate to the migraine type headaches because I had to quit coffee the same time I quit smoking(the two went hand in hand for me) Those headaches were killer at first but after a few days it did get better. I would recommend drinking lots of water, I keep a water bottle handy at all times to keep the system flushed. Also, for me, exercize worked, walking, yoga, weights, whatever it takes to keep you distracted. I admit, I felt like crap at first, but soon you can start to notice the cravings getting less and less and you start to reap the benefits of being a non-smoker. Don't overlook therapy and counseling for support as well. Best of luck to you!

Reply Reply

Tags
chantix