It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

puppy99 HB User
Please Please Help Me!!!!

Hello,
I am new to this board and really need help. I am 37 years old and have been smoking for 20 years anywhere from 1/2 to a full pack a day. Two weeks ago I went to the emergency room in the middle of the night and they found that I had three blood clots on my lungs. They are not sure exactly why it happened but said I probably would not have had them if I didn't smoke. I have a six year old daughter and eight year old son who need me and I don't want to die. I know I need to quit, but I feel like I will never be able to do it. Each morning I wake up and say that I will just have one, but that one turns into another whole day of smoking. Please, please someone help me figure out how to quit. I am so scared that this disgusting habit is going to kill me. Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rebecca

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: puppy99
crookedhearts (09-26-2012), Manergeim (10-18-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to puppy99 For This Useful Post:
Manergeim (10-18-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User
re: Please Please Help Me!!!!

I tried everything but I actually found reading Allen Carr's "Easyway to Stop Smoking" book did the trick (pretty unbelievable but it's true!). I quit cold turkey in the middle of the book but the author encourages the reader to smoke the whole time they're reading it and then quit at the end. Doesn't matter how much you smoke or for how long you did it (this guy smoked something like 3 packs a day for over 20 yrs!).

It's weird, 'cause I had never even heard of this book until I randomly saw it mentioned in someone's comments somewhere online (luckily, I looked it up on a whim). What's interesting about this book is that the author really does make quitting seem easy-it's also just really inspiring (so inspiring that I ended up quitting early--and I used to be like you where every morning I'd wake up and promise myself "I'm just gonna have 1 today").

And I really did find cold turkey easy compared to every other method I used because I knew that most of the "torture" was in my mind and I could really see it as a minor annoyance. It's almost depressing because I can see now that this is a permanent thing--there is no going back for me (apparently, nicotine now makes me ill to the point where I puke every time I try to use it, so I don't think it's an option anymore).

*also, another thing I found surprisingly useful? Hypnosis apps! There is this free hypnosis app in the apple app store and after you ******** it you can buy the guy's $2.99 smoking cessation app from them. I used it not necessarily to "hypnotize" myself, but to calm me enough so that I would often fall asleep instead of feeling like I had to go outside to smoke. I listened to it whenever I could the first week (sometimes 2-3 times a day and every night).

Last edited by crookedhearts; 09-26-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: forgot something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
(female)

puppy99 HB User
Re: Please Please Help Me!!!!

Thank you for your message. I read the reviews on this book and there was very positive feedback. I actually went to Barnes and Nobles last night and started reading. Hopefully it will have the same effect on me as it did on you. I am willing to try all means possible. Can you tell me how long you smoked and how much you smoked? I am just wondering.
Thanks,
Rebecca

Old 09-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

crookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB Usercrookedhearts HB User

Good for you! You just have to want it bad enough and to me, it sounds like you are at that point. I smoked for about 11 years and for most of that time smoked about 10--15 cigarettes a day (probably sometimes more in the middle years), but I was HORRIBLY addicted regardless of how much I smoked and was desparately struggling to quit and cut down for the past couple years. Honestly, not a single day went by in these past eleven years where I didn't smoke at least 2 cigarettes a day--and this is even including the days I "quit" using various methods like NRT and Wellbutrin!

I was totally delusional about it too, lol. Like for the past year I convinced myself I was close enough to quitting that it might not matter whether i quit "for reals" because I would buy the super long cigs and then only smoke half of one at a time...so really it was like i was only smoking 5 cigarettes a day...but I think even that was an underestimation because I sometimes didn't count those...you know, key cigarettes (lol, that first cig in the morning for instance, didnt count cause it was essential, right?). Addiction is a powerful thing... I basically just tortured myself by always cutting down and then giving up and then cutting down and then giving up etc, so by the time I finally quit cold turkey i was already used to being in withdrawal.

Anyways, just hold on to your reasons for quitting and dont ever give up, cause you'll be able to quit eventually. My reasons were shallow (i could see smoking was having/had already had awful effects on my skin and teeth) but for me, this was powerful enough to make me quit. When it gets to the point where you wake up every morning filled with self loathing because of this habit and it's hold on you, that's when you're ready.

Oh one other thing, if you're prone to depression or you find yourself really struggling, you might consider using Wellbutrin because it can really help (basically blocks the buzz you get from nicotine). It sounds silly, but I got really depressed for a while and sometimes felt like there was no point in going on without cigarettes. Another thing is, all of the studies show that most people are more successful with some form of therapy, like group therapy or something (I have a therapist and I gotta say, I think group therapy is probably more helpful because the people can show you that it's doable).

Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
(male)

gabborawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedhearts View Post
My reasons were shallow (i could see smoking was having/had already had awful effects on my skin and teeth) but for me, this was powerful enough to make me quit.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who quit smoking out of vanity lol.

I ranked my reasoning on:

1.) my face/skin
2.) lungs (air capacity and cancer risk because you know, I don't want to die... ever)
3.) teeth

Old 10-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
(male)

mvasquez HB User

My reason was simple when decided to quit smoking for good. Me and my wife have a daughter, my wife always asking me to quit as she feared that our daughter will get second-hand smoke, as there are many campaigns about this on TV, radio, etc.

I realized she was true. At first, colleagues were skeptical about my decision and it was kinda hard for me because most of these people are smokers. But my wife inspired me.

This lead me to believed that quitting smoking would have a chance of higher success rate if there is or are people around you supporting your goal. Plus, the primary reason why you are quitting. Both these drives motivation.

The Following User Says Thank You to mvasquez For This Useful Post:
KimEngland (11-13-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
(female)

rush-rulz HB User

I'm also 37. I smoked for about 16 years before quitting at the end of May.

A few years ago, I had acute bronchitis, which was a nightmare. I'm sure it was related to smoking. I was also having lots of weird issues in my jaw and ear and nose and who knows what. I got myself into a blind panic, thinking I was dying and had essentially killed myself. And I still didn't quit.

Increasingly, though, I felt I wanted to quit. I had a trip coming up where not smoking would be more convenient (e.g., a long flight). But it was always, "I should quit. I will quit. I mean, not *this second*, but I will. Soon...ish." I was originally going to make use of our at-work program and get free drugs and all.

One day, I just thought I'd "see how long I could go" without smoking, which I'd tried once before for giggles. Well, this time, I spent that time on the web, looking at information about quitting. I found a website with information that's very similar to what's in Allan Carr's book. I realized I couldn't fail after seeing all that information.

The stupid thing is, I still have my cigarettes, including a whole carton I'd just bought before quitting because I didn't know I was going to quit then. I know you're supposed to throw them away, but for me, it worked better to choose not to smoke rather than to be unable to, if that makes sense.

There's also a website, QuitNet, that I joined. It's pretty good.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
(female)

cgreen1982 HB User
Smile Re: Please Please Help Me!!!!

I have been smoking for 15 years and up to a pack and a half a day. Not in a million years did I think I had the ability to quit but I got on Wellbutrin and I'm doing it!

What scared me was I was having a localized pain in my chest. It seemed like it one from one side to the next. I'm guessing it was a clot as well. At that point I knew I had to quit and I haven't slipped yet

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-14-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
(male)

Joenewbie HB User

Chantix, start yourself on this to help you BUT read what others have posted. I had nothing but good to say about it when I used it 4 yrs ago and was only smoking 1 a day by the time I was done. However; I went back to 20 a day 3 months later. This time I went from 20 a day to 5 a day in 2 weeks. I have to quit as I have messed up my heart and lungs now. So good luck we can do it.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
(female)

puppy99 HB User

Can I ask how old you are and how long you smoked?

Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
(male)

Joenewbie HB User

Sure I am 58 and smoked for 40 years I now have a 10% lung capacity, so I don't want to be one of those people on O2 I see in stores. I have had enough. The only draw back I hit is if I take it at night I get insomnia.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
(female)

KimEngland HB User

I am so happy to read these posts! I have been reading this book too! I haven't quit yet but with the hurricane here in NJ I've found it hard to finish. I so believe in everything he has to say!

And recently my asthma (yep) has worsened and I have severe gastritis. Also impacts my breathing. I've always worked out, I do hot power yoga, and I cannot stand not being able to breathe through it all.

Please let me know how you are all doing! I would love to have a support network, if any of you are willing

Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
(female)

KimEngland HB User

Oh and not sure who mentioned it, but I have panicked myself so much lately ... I can't imagine smoking is worth feeling like this.

I've looked for NA groups around with no luck. I have very bad reactions to any medication from Symbicort, to Levaquin. Antibiotics, inhalers ... you name it, I am either allergic to it or depressed from it. So the option of Chantix is something my psychiatrist advised me personally not to do (so jealous of those of you who can do it!)

Maybe we can help each other

Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
(female)

puppy99 HB User

Hi Kim! Can I ask how old you are and how long/much you smoke?
I haven't been able to quit and want to find someone to quit together with.
Thanks,
Rebecca

Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
(female)

KimEngland HB User

Rebecca,

I'm 42 years old, been smoking since my 20's I guess. About 8-10 a day. I guess if I could breathe better it would be more. But I really just want to be a non-smoker.

I'm happy to find a partner!!!

Reply Reply