It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

Libra075 HB User
Hi, I'm new...

Hello Everyone,I am 37 years old and have been a smoker for 22 years and I am ready to quit. I am making a doctor's appointment today and hopefully I will be successful this time after multiple attempts. I have tried Chantix a couple of years ago but it made me so nauseated that I stopped using it. I think I will try it again though but in smaller doses, It really seemed to help accept for the nausea or I will see if my doctor can prescribe me something similar.Not only do I want to quit for me, I also want to quit for my 14 & 17 year old and want to be here to see any of my future grandchildren.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
(male)

gabborawk HB User
Re: Hi, I'm new...

I also had some side effects during the 2nd week I was taking chantix but it was in the form of a constant slight headache with a kiss of drowsiness instead of nausea; I even talked about it in this [URL="http://www.healthboards.com/boards/smoking-cessation/895123-fatigue-headaches-chantix-campix.html"]thread[/URL]

The thing with quitting smoking with the aid of chantix is that you'll still experience some symptoms of nicotine withdrawal like nausea, headaches, and drowsiness just to name a few (but from what I understand they should be more tame while on chantix).

After the 2nd week (which is the first quit week) not smoking becomes a 100 times easier but make no mistake it will take some will power to push through those annoying withdrawal symptoms during the first quit week. After your 1st quit week my i no longer had slight headaches nor did I feel drowsy.

p.s. When you start chantix change your brand of cigarettes. In fact, buy a pack of a brand that you absolutely just to make it easier on yourself to stop smoking on your quit date.

Last edited by gabborawk; 10-09-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
(female)

Libra075 HB User

The thing is I can no longer afford to buy cigarettes so after I run out of this last pack of "cigarettes" actually I have been smoking generic little cigars, I won't be buying anymore. I used to pay a little over a dollar a pack for them a few months ago now they are almost 4.00 a pack. So I am going to have to try the chantix cold turkey. Wish me good luck my Doctors appointment is Thursday and I can't wait to try this bad habit behind me.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

Be sure to keep busy with some hobby, arts or exercise. Get sugar free hard candy, straws, etc. Just be sure to keep the hand busy. If the meds does not work, either hypnosis, or just sheer will power might work. You have to keep trying till something works. It is never easy, I had smoked as long as you did, and got to a point of three packs a day. Just was ready to quit and did the patch for two weeks. At that time, they had cost a bit more than a carton of cigs. So after the patches ran out, went cold turkey. Been somber for 11 years. Just keep trying, you will make it. Hugs for you today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
(female)

Libra075 HB User

Thank you for replying to my post. I haven't had a cigarette since yesterday and it was only a half of one. The meds haven't kicked in yet but I am trying to keep my mind off of smoking, when I want a cigarette I keep telling myself they are just a waste of money and I think about how much money I will save a week just by not smoking. I was smoking about a pack a day.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
(male)

Joenewbie HB User

Well I have 40 years of smoking to deal with, I am in my 2nd week of Chantix and here's what I noticed. "IF" you have to have that morning one, smoke it before you take Chantix.
As I am now on full dose I went from 20 smokes a day down to 5. It's like I forget I smoke until someone comes up to me with one or the usual ho-hum of the day. Break routine and don't hang around smokers. Forget all this candy to mouth to replace sticking a smoke in your mouth, gum is great. Side effects this far are Insomnia and farting that smells like death from the Morgue of a dead person. Not that I know what that smells like, but that's how I put it. So good luck, stick with it and oh yeah the dreams? Hang on to your seat your in for a ride. Mine have all been fun so far, but 1 was not YIKES!!!

Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
(female)

Libra075 HB User

Well I am now on my 11th day today and I smoked a half a cigar that I had laying around(felt like I was gonna puke afterwards though) but I haven't spent any money on cigarettes. I have been having a few side affects but they are not as bad as the last time I was on Chantix. I have the nausea for only about 5 minutes after taking a pill, I get light headaches and have had a couple of weird dreams but overall it has been working pretty good for me so far.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

Libra, even smoking a half a cigar is not quiting. No more cigars also. Just leave all of it alone. You keep hanging in there everybody, when a year goes by, you will be able to say to yourself,"Why did I start in the first place."

Rosier
Never give up.

The Following User Says Thank You to rosier For This Useful Post:
Joenewbie (10-22-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
(female)

Libra075 HB User

Just made sure I that I have no more tobacco products in the house to tempt me and I'm definitely not going to purchase any.so I'm good now.

The following user gives a hug of support to Libra075:
rosier (10-21-2012)
Reply Reply