It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
(male)

BruceFromCT HB User
Exposed to secondary cigarette smoke

Last night I was exposed to quite a lot of secondary cigarette smoke for about 2-3 hours. I do not smoke myself. Do you think I could have damaged my lungs or health from this incident?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Exposed to secondary cigarette smoke

I really don't think so!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

There are Non-Smokers living,working with, or sharing accomodation with smokers and are subject on occasions to daily or sometimes hours of secondary smoke inhalations.
I was myself for many years subjected to someone else's smoking and it has had no adverse effect on me.
You have nothing to fear,

Solofelix.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

2nd hand smoke in studies have been found to be just as bad for a person as if they smoked.If your exposed to 2nd hand smoke daily!!!!! My grandmother never smoked her husband did she developed Lung cancer. More then likely from her husbands smoking.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I totally agree that being exposed to secondhand smoke can in some cases cause as much if not more damage than actually smoking oneself.
I just do NOT believe that three hours exposure will have any lasting effect on your health, though it was a great day for me when smoking in public places eg. Cinema/Pub was banned as it made my eyes very sore and also made me cough, (I am a Non-Smoker) my husband smokes but outside NOT in the house.

Solofelix.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
(male)

BillyBob2007 HB User

I'm one of those naysayers on the wrong side of he fence. First of all, second hand smoke problems, IMO, exactly that "IN MY OPINION", is more of a mental issue than a health issue. I personally feel that all the hoopla over second hand smoke is more of a status indictment against smokers. HOWEVER, for those who are actually, for real and not just compulsive complainers, smoke of about any kind can trigger allergic reactions. Some people are simply more predisposed to develop certain disease because of genetic makeup and physical condition and exposure to other things than just cigarette smoke. There is no doubt in my mind that smoking had some beneficial characteristics BUT to assume that it is good for you would be totally wrong. Taking the totality of the effects of smoking into account there is only the mental or emotional sensations that are beneficial. In general, I'm of the opinion that exposure to chemicals in paint, carpet, plastics and the various unnatural rays from television are as bad if not worse than cigarette smoke causing maladies. Freaking over second hand smoke is without a doubt very unnecessary unless it's to the point of something like being in a cloud of thick smoke in bar consistently for years. An exposure from time to time is NOT going to cause any ill effects and I'd bet that most likely it's actually good for a person in overall decent general health. All the hype in media has sensitized people to the point that just thinking about smoke makes some of them sick. Not only must we care for our bodies but also we must care for our mental and emotional state and be able to function at the highest possible level without allowing mere inconveniences or undesirable things to interfere with personal choices and well being. If you look at "meme" theory you'll understand where so much hoopla over smoking and many liberal as well as conservative political fodder has come from. Some is imagined and some is created and a little is actually the real truth. It is rare that someone won't agree that cigarette smoke is bad. It is, but it definitely is not a death sentence for everyone who smokes or is exposed to smoke.

Reply Reply

Tags
cigarette, smoke