HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Smoking Cessation (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/smoking-cessation/)
-   -   Day 3... I hope this is it for me finally (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/smoking-cessation/935799-day-3-i-hope-me-finally.html)

TheQuitter 01-18-2013 07:51 AM

Day 3... I hope this is it for me finally

Hello,

Well, so here I am. Trying to quit smoking again lol... I think I tried million times.

I been smoking for 20 years, and I am 37 years old. I smoked almost pack a day. I decided that this year is it. I tried everything in the past... gum, patches, longezine thingys....I also read a "Easy Way" book. My biggest success I had in quitting previously was simply cold turkey. That was about 8 years ago... I quit for year and a half, until I got a new job and of course.. here comes the excuse....stress got to me and I got back together with that "friend" of mine - a cancer stick.

Well, today is my day 3. I been there before many many times.. I would last for 2 weeks and go right back to it after some dumb excuse. I know that this is it for me... I know there is no "just one smoke" thing... I know I won't be able to have cigars while golfing...all that, is gone.

Funny thing is, I keep my body in shape, workout almost everyday, but yet, I smoked. How ridiculous is that? lol

I was surrounded by smokers. Most of my friends smoke. As of today, only 1 of them is still smoking. My neighbors and I decided to ditch it. So, I am surrounded by non smokers now and I am considering myself as a non smoker!

Today will be HUGE test for me. It's friday...I will probably have cravings after having some wine. The good thing is, I will have nowhere to get it from. First is, nobody will drive drunk to get some...second... we will not have any!

Feels good though. I been drinking tons of water (about a gallon per day). Just gotta get past the weekend.

Here are the things that I will keep in mind though out the "hard times":

1. I am NON SMOKER
2. I have to remember, that if cave in and have "just one" I will be right back to the start. All this work so far will be lost for nothing.
3. Keep checking my smoking app on my phone to see how much money I saved.
4. Think about my health, my teeth!!!
5. The stench....ohhhh the stench of smoke...I smell it on smokers all the time.. I smelled like that too.. especially in elevators at work
6. I will look like a dumbass in front of my friends that quit too. It will make me look WEAK! They could do it and I couldn't?
7. No more going outside at work in cold to suck on those things!
8. My house will smell fresh. I can't wait to repaint it for that real true "fresh" start!
9. Money money money... $150 a month in my pocket! Oh yeah!
10. I never liked smoking...everytime I would light one up, I was thinking "I gotta quit this ****!"

So here I am.. I am planing on posting in this thread about my thoughts, my progress and how things go. 2013...here I am! Smoke free!

TheQuitter 01-18-2013 10:44 AM

Re: Day 3...I hope this is it for me finally

Ugghhh, I am really having hard cravings right now. The thought of going and buying a pack actually crossed my mind. I just keep reminding myself that those cravings only last for 5 minutes and then they go away. I drank so much water, that I think I am growing a camel's back.

Gotta get past this.. I can't fold!! I knew it would be hard. The thought of starting this all over is what stopping me from actually going and buying a pack or bumming one from my co-workers.

TheQuitter 01-22-2013 06:12 AM

Re: Day 3... I hope this is it for me finally

6 days and 10 hours!!!!

I have to say, day 3 was hell. But I survived. It's lot easier now. I don't really think about smoking and actually, the thought of buying a pack and smoking them makes me sick. I feel SOOOO much better in the morning. My clothes don't smell like crap anymore, I don't wheeze in the morning when I get up. I am so glad I lasted that long already! I have to say, that it really helps not being around smokers.

I feel great! It's so nice not having to walk inside the gas station now!

I am finally a non-smoker!

So far, I saved $39 bucks and didn't smoke 129 cigarettes.

TheQuitter 01-25-2013 09:06 AM

9 days and 13 hours! It's getting easier and easier with every day going by. I really don't have cravings any longer. Just sometimes think about smoking, especially after food. But that only lasts very short time.

Looks like nobody is visiting these boards any longer, so I will stop posting.

Good luck to all of you trying to quit!

samteri 01-25-2013 07:56 PM

Heeey, congrats!!

I am in the process of quitting.. I quit for 2 years then last summer I decided to start up again.. for NO reason, to my knowledge. SO dumb.. I was on the patch last time, but I want to do it cold turkey.. prove to myself I can do it without any "help.".. I am now reading the EASYWAY book, & feeling rather excited.. I'm not a huge huge smoker.. 6 at most in a day. The cravings however, are annoying. :( Hope you're still a nonsmoker!! :)

samteri 01-25-2013 07:57 PM

Heeey, congrats!!

I am in the process of quitting.. I quit for 2 years then last summer I decided to start up again.. for NO reason, to my knowledge. SO dumb.. I was on the patch last time, but I want to do it cold turkey.. prove to myself I can do it without any "help.".. I am now reading the EASYWAY book, & feeling rather excited.. I'm not a huge huge smoker.. 6 at most in a day. The cravings however, are annoying. :( Hope you're still a nonsmoker!! :)

jcbaker51679 02-04-2013 09:27 AM

First, Congrats. Quitting smoking is a HUGE step. Hope all is going well for you and you made it through the weekend. I also have recently quit smoking, Day 14 for me :D. I am 33 and had smoked for 20 years. What did/do you use to quit smoking ie medication, patches, power of will. I have been on chantix for 19 days and so far doing well. Best of luck, keep us updated :D

TheQuitter 02-05-2013 10:32 AM

Ha! Well..20 days and 14 hours....

Money saved: $123.09
Cigarettes not smoked: 412

I went through all the possible will power tests through out these days. I had wine, went out, hung out with my smoker friend.. I didn't cave. Didn't smoke one, don't want one...don't care about them. I am done!

jcbaker, I just quick cold turkey. I tried everything.. patches, e-cigs, gum, books...biggest success I had in the past was simply quitting cold turkey. I didn't want to have that "routine" of putting on a patch in the morning, or constantly having some kind of "aid" with me. Just stopped. Nicotine is gone out of your body in 72 horus... after that, it's all mental. You can do it!

Livelife15 02-08-2013 11:49 PM

Well done! I have recently given up after many years of smoking. I had a stroke 2mths ago. The doctor warned me, give up or my next stroke could be a lot worse. It's been 3 weeks and counting. Very hard some days. I could easily go down the shop and buy a packet. I keep telling myself 'stroke, stroke' over and over. I do miss it, but my health is more important. Stay strong. Take care :-)

TheQuitter 02-12-2013 06:14 AM

Still at it... 27 days and 10 hours. Saved $164 so far and didn't smoke 549 cigs. I am pretty confident that I am done with smoking. Cravings are pretty much gone and I don't want to smoke if I am in situations that were my triggers before. I can drink coffee now, have a beer or a glass of wine. I don't even think about it. It's sooooo nice. My lungs feel like a million bucks in the morning when I get up. No more stinky clothes, smelly hands, going outside in rain/snow to suck on those things. Best thing I did for myself in a long time. This is the longest I went in a while. I am glad I did it cold turkey. It just makes me forget about it and that's it. I am done! Once hour, one day at a time....In few days, I will be month into it. Now, I just look at the iPhone app for my amusement to see how much money I saved.

Good luck to all of you who are trying to quit!

ycteach 02-25-2013 04:30 AM

Awesome. . . just remember, any discomfort you may feel now is NOTHING compared to dying slowly and not being able to breathe.

For me, it was simply the phrase "If I have a smoke, I will die." DONE! Coming on a year now. all cravings totally gone,

TheQuitter 02-25-2013 06:36 AM

Thank you ycteach! Yes it feels great so far! I am 1 month and 9 days in! Cravings are pretty much gone. I feel soooooo much better! It's amazing. No more stinky clothes, hands, my place smells fresh. It's just nice. I feel clean. My breathing is so much easier too. I love it!

eazypeazy 03-22-2013 03:14 PM

It's been 4 days for me too. I had laser gum surgery and it gave me no desire to smoke. You should not do the patch. Nicotine goes out of your system completely in 24 hours. I do not even crave one now.

rosier 04-06-2013 09:28 PM

the Quitter, where are you? You still somber? I hope so, we need you to keep us updated on your progress and if there are problems to bend our ears on. Please come back. Hugs for today.