It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2001, 04:55 PM   #1

Flint HB User
Red face Quitting

Day 1 is gone, it is so hard. My head is swimmy and I am real irritable. When does all this stop?

Old 01-05-2001, 09:17 AM   #2

Steel Magnolia HB User
Red face

Flint......all I can say is it's been 86 hours and 13 minutes since my last cigarette. I want one (as I type this) soooo bad! However, I quite smoking cold turkey once before for 8 1/2 years and I am determined to quit forever this time. This is just such a strong addiction and I wish the feeling of wanting one would go away forever. Good luck and take it one hour at a time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2001, 11:20 AM   #3

Flint HB User
Red face

Thanks for the advice. Day 2 today and I woke up this morning CRAVING a cig like all get out. I went to the gym this morning and I could tell a difference in my breathing already, so thats a plus. I am a social worker and EVERYONE smokes in my office, so I am trying to just stay busy... I am 27 and this is my first time ever trying to quit...

Old 01-05-2001, 11:41 AM   #4

Steel Magnolia HB User
Red face

Flint...know what you mean! I have been on the treadmill and did Tae Bo and already noticed a difference in breathing. Even started shoveling the driveway and I wasn't huffin and puffin (literally)! Keep up the good work...gotta stay focused even if those around you are smoking away. I'm going to be 42 in 9 days and started smoking when I was 14. It's difficult to let go of a lifelong addiction. Stay Focused! Best of luck to you!

Old 01-05-2001, 11:46 PM   #5
Inactive

Lori HB User
Thumbs up

Congratulations you two!!! Its been 2 months, 1 week, 2 days for me and I still get cravings, especially when Im stressed. It DOES get better however! The first week I was crazy with those cravings and they were so strong! After that week ALL the withdrawl symptoms really get better, trust me! You just have to keep really busy and exercising is REALLY good! Keep reminding yourself of why you quit in the first place, and weigh the good with the bad if you were to take that puff again. Steel Magnolia is right,take it one tiny step at a time. Also dont think of yourself as "quitting" think of yourself as a "non smoker". Take Care and congrats again!!!!!
Lori

Old 01-12-2001, 12:01 PM   #6

kristi HB User
Wink

i know the feeling i cant quit i dont think it is that i am addicted just think i have to have them i used hard candy to suck on to get the taste out of my mouth when i had craving try that one good luck to all

Old 01-12-2001, 01:30 PM   #7

jrzygrl2273 HB User
Thumbs up

Just to let you all know that it DOES get better.

I quit 4 months ago and the day I quit, I started an exercise program. That helped a LOT! I still get cravings every once in a while. It sucks, but you learn to deal with it. I just think of all the benefits of quitting.

I feel sooo much better now that I quit. I don't run out of breath, I can climb hills and I've saved SO MUCH money!!!

Good luck to everyone!

Old 01-23-2001, 05:42 AM   #8

Lucky HB User
Hey, haven't seen any posts from anyone in a while. Just curious how everyone's doing.

I quit smoking on Sept 27th. I remember this date and not my wedding anniversary. Go Figure. LOL. It'll be 4 mos. for me on the 27th of this month.

I'd like to hear how everyone is doing. I suck on lemon heads, cinnamon hard candies and chew cinnamon gum. It really helps.

Good Luck.

Old 01-23-2001, 02:29 PM   #9
Inactive

Lori HB User
Thumbs up

Hi there!
First of all, congrats Lucky and everyone for quitting!!! Im am also curious to how everyone is doing, and what methods they are using. As for me, I've been smoke-free for 2months, 3weeks, and 6days now. It is still going good and always getting better, however I still get these bad cravings. I suck on mint candies, eat crunchy veggies, keep myself really busy, excersise, and drink LOTS of juice. Not to mention constantly reminding myself how much I am doing to help my health. I found this wonderfull little program that has a counter from the SECOND you quit, along with reminders and information. Its free and for those in trouble should check it out. Oh, and deep breathing helps a lot when you get a craving. And the most important thing, GET SUPPORT! a friend, a group, etc. That really is important.
Well, congrats to all those quitting!!!! Good job!!!!
Take Care,
Lori
The link is: [url="http://www.alft.net/software/sfs.shtml"]http://www.alft.net/software/sfs.shtml[/url]

Old 01-24-2001, 03:41 PM   #10

Allison25 HB User
Wink

Hi,

This is day 7 for me without a cigarette! It may not seem like a long time, but it has felt like forever. What has helped me immensly is Nicorette inhalers. I am in Australia, I don't know if they are available in the US or not. It looks like a plastic cigarette, and you buy nicotine cartridges. Whenever I feel like a smoke i inhale on this and it has been relatively easy not to succumb to the urge!

I really reccomend using these as it helps with the cravings, and the physcological aspect aswell.

Old 01-25-2001, 06:07 AM   #11

Lucky HB User
Hey Allison . . . 7 days . . . that's WONDERFUL!!! And don't let anyone tell you different.

My husband (35) has smoked since he was 13. When I quit, I still chewed the Nicorette gum to help out w/cravings. He told me I should just go back to smoking if I was going to be spending that money on gum (I was only spending about half of what he spends a week). I was sooo angry. And then I realized he was just jealous that I had quit and he still smoked. So I told him that and he laughed . . . he's such a butthead (in a kidding way) LOL

You're doing Great! Everyone and anyone that can or has quit smoking . . . Keep it up. It's the best thing you could ever do for yourself.

Closed Thread