It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2001, 07:56 AM   #1

kristi HB User
Unhappy i just can't control.......

hey guys and gals....i'm not doing so well on quitting it is so hard i know i want to quit and i just cant do it....THE CRAVINGS ARE SO OFTEN...i drive a long way to work and when i get so bored i just smoke....everyone around me seems to want to smoke just to see if i will ask for one...and sometimes i do..i was going to quit monday and i had cigarettes left so i thought i'd finish them and be done with it but today is tuesday and i havent made it at all does it get any easier????? it is so hard to do and everyone thinks i wont quit so if noone has faith in me why should i quit????

Old 01-30-2001, 09:41 AM   #2

Lucky HB User
Kristi,

It took me many months just to get in the right mind set to quit. For weeks I would tell myself I wasn't going to buy another carton at the grocery and did this for months . . . I finally got ****** at myself and one weekend I didn't. And when I ran out I quit. It's all in your mind! You WILL get to a point where you will just make up your mind that you're done!

I too had "tried" to quit many times before, but didn't last a day. But this time was different . . . I don't know what came over me . . . I just knew I was done with them. I'm sure everyone has their own story of how they did it.

Just don't get discouraged, it comes from within yourself . . a little will power, maybe a little being ****** at yourself for ever starting, maybe being worried about getting cancer or emphysema . . . whatever reasons you have for quiting, some day they will all gang up at once, and that GREAT day you'll set them down forever . . . I'm sure of it.

Good luck
Lucky!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2001, 02:06 PM   #3
Inactive

Lori HB User
Hey Kristi!
It is VERY hard to quit, thats why its so important not to have people bringing you down. Maybe you could join a support group? Try with every bit of strength to keep busy for this first week, because after that I promise it WILL be sooo much better! And the longer you go, the less the cravings,etc will be. Think of it this way, what are they going to say when you do quit? Great satisfaction and being able to rub it in their face that you beat this demon and they didnt think you could do it I have faith in you and I KNOW you can quit, you want to so bad, please dont let those other people do this to you.
Take care and good luck!! YOU SHOW THOSE PEOPLE WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOURSELF!

Old 01-31-2001, 07:20 AM   #4

kristi HB User
hey guys thanks for the support did anyone else just sit around and cry when they tried to quit my emotions are horrible i can just sit here and wonder what i have done to myself and why i just cant throw them down and not understand why its hard but i think i can do it..no i know i can do it thans again for you support.... kristi

Old 01-31-2001, 01:18 PM   #5
Inactive

Lori HB User
Hi Kristi!
I experianced the same thing!! I was extremely emotional when I quit. I was mad for nothing and crying a LOT. I felt reeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy depressed for like weeks after I quit! I dont know why that happened, but it got better. I also regretted starting in the first place and was comming down pretty hard on myself. Then I started to think that everyone makes mistakes and this doesnt have to keep happening. I can quit so I dont regret it even more down the road. And right after I quit it seemed everything was going wrong! It was really hard to keep off the smokes. Im glad I did. So Keep trying girl, you can do it You'll get there and you are doing great! One of these days you will just stop, and be mentally/emotionally ready.
Take care!
Lori

Old 02-01-2001, 05:48 AM   #6

kristi HB User
Wink

thanks lori i thought i was going crazy and just losing it now that i know other people get that way it makes me feel better it seems that when i want to quit EVERYTHING in my house on my car and anything else just breaks and cost me money but i can use the money i used on cigs to fix it....thanks again for all of your help

Old 02-01-2001, 08:36 AM   #7

bigfuzzer HB User
Hi Kristi..I'm glad I read your post...Why do we try to show others we are quitting..I been for a least the past year, trying to make my hubby and family aware of me quitting..I wanted their support and really cared what they thought about me..BUT when I messed up and started smoking again,and again, and again, I felt like I was always crying wolf about quitting..I have to quit for myself and not them..I'm 43 year old female and like a big baby, looking for my husband to say.."oh, look how good your doing, 2 days, no cigarettes.".This is not happening...He is a wonderful person and my best friend and supports me..but, the support is not here like I think it should be..i expect to much also..it's like you want to let them know how much your sacrificing....you have to do it for yourself and don't worry about anyone but you..i don't want to sound mean, but there will always be someone, somewhere, friend, family, whoever, that's going to say' oh, you started smoking again, etc' something to discourage you..Them , you don't need and people like that, i wouldn't even hang around at this time that you want to quit..You'll show them all someday.! hope i helped you and didn't come across too mean..I feel like crying here too and my head feels like it's going to blow off from no smokes..but, it's going to pass soon, and i'd rather put up with it here than in the hospital monday, back surgery, , all nasty to everyone hahaha Good Luck DEB

Old 02-02-2001, 10:48 AM   #8

Lucky HB User
hey bigfuzzer, does your dh smoke?

Old 02-04-2001, 01:52 PM   #9

Xnailtech HB User
Hi all, my heart goes out to all of you. Maybe I can answer some of your questions. I have been smoke free for about 8 years now. I quite 34567times befor I got it. You cry and get depressed because you have just lost your very best friend! (if you don't think so, think again) and you must go through the greaving process. Part of that is ANGER, part is SADDNESS and part is depression. All of these things will pass. Just know that you can't quit smoking without these things happening. Be glad that you are going through them because as soon as you get through them you will be FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST! and beleive me, you will be FREE. No more wondering if you have enouth on hand. No more wondering if you go somewhere weather others will be somking too! All these things will go away. The Best thing I ever did for myself and I thank God he helped me through it all!
Good luck I hope this helped.

Old 02-05-2001, 10:43 AM   #10

kristi HB User
Unhappy

hey guys thanks for all the advice...although i am still smoking i am slowing down slowly...now that i know it just isnt me that gets ill and cries and stuff it will be easier i think i just try so hard not to be ill and i still am...i think it is more out of habit than anything for me when i get bored i just smoke a cigarette....but you know how that goes.... ....i am just going to do it slowly and be threw with this nasty habbit once and for all.....thanks again

Old 02-10-2001, 07:12 AM   #11

Brianne HB User
Kristi: Obviously you really want to quit otherwise you would not have posted here. Kristi,you have to quit and do it today! You can't slow down! Don't lie to yourself! You know if you cut down to 6 cigarettes this weekend and then you run into difficulties on Monday you will make up for the cigarettes you skipped on the weekend. If you really want to cut down to help save your life then I suggest cutting down to 0 per day! You can do it! You know you can do it! You know you will do it! And you will reward youself! Do it today and surprise your family and friends and most of all surprise Nicodemon!

Closed Thread