It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2001, 08:21 AM   #1

Shauna_M HB User
Post Surgery is in six days

I have dental surgery in six days. I have to have six teeth removed (four wisdom; two others).

I already have asthma, so I have to quit for that reason. Plus, my oral surgeon warned me about dry socket and suggested I quit for at least a week.

My best friends are telling me that I may as well just quit for good. I do agree with them.

What kind of aids have helped you? I know right now that I'm not going to be able to do it cold turkey.

Also, what kinds of medications are covered by insurance? I'd hate to see that they weren't covered--especially since they would cover for a medication needed to repair a problem from the smoking. Money is tight right now and I wouldn't be able to afford the drug outright.

Thanks for any input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2001, 01:36 PM   #2

ser HB User
Smile

Shauna_M-

I went cold turkey with a twist. I had pneomnia and slept for 7 days. I had no disire to get up and have a puff(well I did but no strength). If you want to quit you can do it. Set up a montra like I smell better or I'm saving $x a month and $x a year. Rewire your buttons..Know what sets you to smoke and when that happens have a glass of water or a carrot stick or a mint toothpick. With your dental surgery you will want to sleep a bit take advantage of it and sleep don't get up to smoke. I wish you the best - 3mo and no cigarette.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2001, 02:27 AM   #3
Inactive

andrew59 HB User
Zyban (also called wellbutrin) was very effective for me. I used it in conjuction with smokeless tobacco. After I hadn't had a cig in a couple weeks I started cutting down on the dip by mixing it half and half with "herbal" (tobacco free) dip, which is basically just flavored grass. After a couple weeks of this I cut it to 75/25 and then cut the percentage in half again, and finally switched to "herbal" altogether. After a couple weeks of that I switched to gum.

I haven't had a smoke in 14 months & have been completely tobacco free for 12 months now.

My insurance company wasn't going to pay for the Zyban for smoking cessation, but my doctor didn't write what it was for on the prescription (it's also used to treat depression), so the insurance company just assumed it was for that and paid it.

Old 01-17-2001, 08:24 AM   #4
wholden

Smile

Hey, good luck, I hope you can do it.

I did it w/Nicorette Gum. Every time I get a craving I chew a piece until it gets a "tingly feeling" then you put it against your gum like chewing tobacco. You feel it instantaneously . . . . oh what a feeling!!

Also, I chew a lot of regular gum like Big Red (something w/a bite) or hard candy.

Good Luck to ya'!

I've been smoke free since Sept 27, 2000 and am down to 3 pieces of Nicorette gum a day.

[This message has been edited by wholden (edited 01-17-2001).]

Old 01-17-2001, 09:51 AM   #5

alazay HB User
I quite smoking on Christmas Day, and haven't had a cigarette since then. I have to be put to sleep for dental work next month. I have never been put to sleep and I am kind of freaked out about it. Can you tell me what your dentist told you to expect? Tell me how it went after you have it!

Old 01-22-2001, 07:55 AM   #6
wholden

Wink

Alazay . . . congratulations on not smoking!!

Back when I was about 24 (now 31) I was "put out" to have my wisdom teeth taken out. It's actually pretty simple. They put you under and when you wake up, you're done. It doesn't even seem like you even went under. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 02-01-2001, 09:18 AM   #7

bigfuzzer HB User
Hi..I'm having back surgery this Monday, Feb.5..I knew this 6 weeks ago. Do you think I would have quit then? NO, I never did "COLD TURKEY" and have been doing it for 3 days..I'm lightheaded and feel somewhat out of sorts, with a slight headache, these are withdraw syptoms..And for some reason they are worse than the craving, but not killing me..I would recommend to you to go to Walmart and get their brand (formaly Habitrol)they bought them out,nicotine patches..buy one box of 21 mg. and slap one on today..i found they didn't give me a headache , like some of the other ones..Every once and a while, you feel like you had a cigerette..And they do definetly work..I quit for 3 months on them once, yes once, and smoked 1- 1 1/2 packs a day (I'm female, aged 43 by the way) The week supply is $19.00, and they are really good .You can do the whole program as they direct, like 6 weeks on the 21 mg, then a month on 14 mg,etc....but you might go off sooner, maybe a month or so...I should have put my patch on weeks ago..I play the "patch on, patch off game' Always seem to find some excuse to light up and blame someone else LOL Hope I helped you in someway..i came on here to find out about when these withdraw symtoms, the worst of them, would end..Would your doctor give you a mild traquilizers a day or two before surgery if your nervous, plus that would help you with the not smoking part too..i don't mean go on them forever, just to get you through this..Good Luck with the surgery..I have a good feeling about this for you DEB

Old 02-10-2001, 05:58 PM   #8

Brookej HB User
Shauna,
By now, you have had your surgery. I hope you were able to quit smoking and stay quit. I had a wisdom tooth removed about 12 years ago and I had no idea what a dry socket was nor was I warned about it. I probably would not have quit smoking then even if I was warned. I did indeed get a dry socket and it was not fun but I did not know that the pain from it was not normal until my follow-up with the oral surgeon. I have quit smoking a few times since then but I have not stayed quit. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life and my last designated quit day. I can't undo all those years of smoking but I can start my new non-smoking life tomorrow. I hope you are doing well. Any words of wisdom or encourgement out there from an ex-smoker would be greatly appreciated.

Closed Thread