It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2000, 03:40 PM   #1

Pushbar11 HB User
Unhappy HELP

I an in need of any suggestion to help me stop smoking. With out the aide of those patches or gum. I am on other medication that those would interfere with. I have been smoking for over 30 years. And I need all the help I can get. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Maureen

Old 11-11-2000, 06:10 PM   #2
Inactive

Lori HB User
Thumbs up

Hi! I just quit smoking for good 2 weeks ago and am doing better than ever. I just quit cold turkey,with no medication or anything except my willpower,so it can be done You may want to cut down,it depends what works for you because everyone is different. But here is a web site that's really informative and should help you tons. [url="http://www.cyberdiet.com/modules/gi/maintain/problems/quit.html"]http://www.cyberdiet.com/modules/gi/maintain/problems/quit.html[/url] One thing that I did,though,was put Post-it notes all over the house with a different reminder on each one on why I am quitting. Ive also been saving my money that I havent been spending on cigarettes and getting something nice to treat myself. Try to stay really busy and have sugarless gum or a healthy(crunchy) snack around to keep your hands busy. Also stay away from other smokers as much as you can. The web site above will help you out more,if you dont find enough information on that site,do a search on the internet and you will find a lot more information. Good luck!!! This is the best thing you are doing for your health! Remember that one half of all smokers die as a result of smoking, scary but powerfull and true. Also remember that the first week is the hardest,you can make it through then you are over the worst. Its a hard road but can be done. Keep us updated if you can! Good luck!=)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2000, 06:08 AM   #3

Pushbar11 HB User
Talking

Lori, thanks for the advice. I am going to try to cut down at first. I have been smoking for 30 years and "cold turkey" is hard for me. Been there done that. I am going to set my stop date for this coming Saturday. And then we shall see what happens. I really appreciate all your help.
Maureen

Old 11-22-2000, 08:29 AM   #4

moose HB User
Smile

I was a smoker for over 30 years and then I got a pacemaker I knew the cigarettes ( my best friend) had to go. I started by making myself go outside to smoke, after a week of that I started to cut down on the amount of cigarettes I smoked each day , some days I did it others I didn't make it, but the next day was always a new day and I would try again. I tried to look at it as a challenge and a game to win. When they found out a month and a half later that I had a 85% blockage and need a angioplast and a stent I was able to come home and not smoke again. That was 6 months ago Dec 1. I still have a pack of cigarettes in the house and I tell myself that if I ever really really want one I can have it,and there have been situations where I thought I needed one, but I would tell myself after all this time you want to blow all your good work for a moment of dizzy, and nasty taste and then back to square one. So far it has worked. GOOD Luck!!!

Old 01-08-2001, 02:49 PM   #5
Inactive

leibesleid HB User
Lightbulb

My girlfriend was a smoker for 6 years. I bought her some Sulfonil last week and since she has been taking it, she is totally turned off of the ciggarette smell/taste, she says it makes her feel sick now. mabey it would work for you? heres a description of what it does:

WHAT DOES IT DO?

Sulfonil reduces or stops craving for nicotine, the addictive substance in tobacco.

The body and especially the brain have receptors called adrenergic receptors. In the "fight or flight" part of the autonomic nervous system, these receptors respond to norepinephrine, or "Adrenalin " as it is popularly known.

Unfortunately, they also respond to nicotine even better. When nicotine attaches to the receptors, norephinephrine can no longer excite that part of the nervous system as well. That is why smoking is a relaxing "stimulus barrier."

Even worse, after nicotine use, these receptors become altered and demand nicotine to function. Addiction is the result.

There is hope. Sulfonil attaches to these same receptors even better than nicotine! The result is that there is no more craving for tobacco. Addiction has ended. The adrenergic receptors are turned off.

Old 02-01-2001, 11:07 AM   #6

Xnailtech HB User
leibesleid, where did you get this Sulfonil and where can I find information about it? Thanks. I have a friend that might try it!

Old 02-16-2001, 08:16 AM   #7

kristi HB User
Smile

lori thanks for that website i visited and that convinced me even more i am going to do it you guys are so sweet to care and try to help by putting that up....i am going to do it let ya know how i am after the weekend....kristi

Closed Thread