It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2001, 06:50 AM   #1

kristi HB User
Red face help me...............

hey guys and gals i am 19 will be 20 on monday...i have been smoking since i was 16 the day i started i said i could quit anytime i wanted to...but that has changed i know the addiction is just in my head but i still need the strength and support to quit..i was told that most of my family is walking time bombs b-c of the history i want to quit so i wont have a heart attack and all that other stuff.....any suggestions....is it better to quit cold turkey??? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif also one more question is it true you gain weight when you quit??? i don't want to gain weight.......ANY ADVISE IS HELPFUL HELP ME GUYS I NEED SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by kristi (edited 01-26-2001).]

Old 01-26-2001, 02:57 PM   #2
Inactive

Lori HB User
Thumbs up

Hi Kristi!
First of all, good for you for realizing you need to quit. Its sooooo much better quitting now after only 4 years then to try to quit 40 years down the road and with a lot more damage and addiction. Do some research on the net, I did when I quit and that helped me a LOT. It opened my eyes to all the bad stuff smoking can and WILL bring. When you quit,make sure you have friends,family,counseling, SOMEONE there to help you and encourage you through this. Keep yourself busy constantly. Put post-it notes all over your house,locker,etc about the reasons you are quitting and reminders of why you are quitting and the good things that will come because of quitting. Take it one day at a time. Treat yourself everday or at least every week. Save out the money you are saving on not buying cigarettes and buy something really nice for yourself (and that can be a lot of money!) About gaining weight, the average person only gains about 5 pounds when quitting! Some people dont gain anything at all. And with you being so young I bet your metabolism is really good and I dont think you will have a problem with that. Its not only the metabolism thing that makes you gain weight however, but the EATING afterwards. I craved sugar and sweet stuff a lot when I quit. The trick to that is FRUIT! Oranges and citris fruit helps so much you wont even beleive it. Any kind of fruit actually. And chew lots of sugar free gum, chew/suck on straws to keep mouth and hands busy, and constantly snack on CRUNCHY veggies. Nummmmy and good for you. Carrots, celery, etc. Drink LOTS of water and juices. Also constantly sipping on the stuff. Stay clear of caffiene as much as you can, at least for the first week or two. Change your habits. If you smoke right after you eat dinner, go for a walk instead. Etc. Start an excersise program. Another way to keep the weight in check and keep busy. You will notice the differences in your breathing almost instantly! So...smoking will let you excersise MORE, therefore take the weight off and be healthier. Smoking is so looked down apon in society right now also, and its only getting worse. Thats not including the physical and emotional problems with smoking. I congratulate you and everyone who is quitting. It will probably be one of the toughest things you will need to do, but it can be done. And many many many people do it everyday. As for quitting cold turkey. That might be the roughest way to go, but its also the quickest. Every person is different and the method will have to be decided by yourself. And keep reminding yourself that if you can get through the FIRST WEEK, then you are over the WORST! The first week, Im not going to lie to you, is pretty hard. But if you take my advise from above it should make it not a big problem. And one week isnt that long of a time considering it will be a lot harder down the road when you need to quit because you have cancer, or something else. Its WELL WORTH IT. One of my favorite quotes " If you think beating cigarettes is hard, try beating cancer". Very powerfull. Keep that in mind on your journey to freedom from the cigarette. Also keep in mind that one half of all smokers DIE as a result from smoking. Good luck!!!!! Please let us know how its going for you if possible! Sorry this was so long, but hoped it helped.
Take Care,
Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2001, 06:55 PM   #3

alazay HB User
I started somking when I was 16, now I am 21. I stopped on Christmas Day, and I have not had a cigarette since. It was hard at first but now I hardly ever crave one. My husband smokes around me all the time, and it doesn't even bother me. Good luck with quitting. It would also be a good idea, because I know you are wanting to have a baby! Good Luck!

Old 01-29-2001, 06:51 AM   #4

kristi HB User
Talking

hey lori thanks for all the advice it was really appreciated not many people support you b-c they say you wont quit i think it takes the will power to do it...and i have the power...i want to be able to do this i watched my fiances papaw die of lung cancer and i am just now deciding to quit i will probably get this crazy obsession with chewing straws b-c i like to do that all the time anyway that and gum will be it i agree with the first week being the hardest i tried b-4 and i made it 2 days.....thanks and i'll keep ya updated...kristi

Old 01-29-2001, 06:46 PM   #5

alazay HB User
Not that it has anything to do with smoking, but that's funny what you said about chewing on straws, because I have the worst habit of doing that!

Old 01-30-2001, 09:57 AM   #6

Lucky HB User
Thumbs up

Kristi,

Hey, it's Lucky again, I posted on your other thread also.

Just wanted to give you a little heads up about the weight gain issue. My mother's a nurse and told me that smoking does burn up anywhere between 10-20% of your calorie intake and that it takes anywhere from 6-12 mos. for your metabolism to get back on track after you quit. You can hold out that long. You're young, I'm sure you'll bounce back quick. I'm 5'7" and weigh 135#. I didn't even have an issue with weight. Just chew a lot of gum or the straws, whatever works for ya'!

After you eat (that's when I have the worst cravings) I'll get up and do dishes and chew on some "Big Red" gum, I find it has a little bite to it, and has really helped me. Or chew on a straw like alazay said. You'll figure out what works best for you.

And honey, my prayers are with you to quit now. I started smoking (socially) when I was 18 and all the time around age 20 and I finally quit this past September (age 31). Do it now before it does any more damage. I have faith in you that you can and will succeed!

I've heard reports that if you smoke for under 10 years, the damage IS REVERSIBLE!!!! You're body is constantly replacing old cells with new ones. Only 4 years of smoking . . . you should be good as new in no time . . .

Don't you worry about what anyone says, if it takes you 6 mos., 2 years, whatever it takes to get you to that point where you quit, you keep asking for support, you will do it someday. My mom "harped" on me for YEARS before I finally quit. Sometimes I wish she would congratulate me as much as she harped at me but I really don't care. I'm just so thrilled that I FINALLY DID IT!!!

Good luck to ya' sweetie! You'll do it!!!

[This message has been edited by Lucky (edited 01-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lucky (edited 01-30-2001).]

Old 01-30-2001, 10:54 AM   #7

kristi HB User
lucky thanks for all your advice you are the only person that has made me open my eyes lately you sound the same way i do i always say i am not going to buy a pack and i do it anyways....i have it in my mind now that i can do it thanks for all the help..... kristi

Old 01-30-2001, 11:04 AM   #8

Lucky HB User
Your welcome.

And just to update something I had posted. If you smoke for UNDER 10 years the damage IS REVERSIBLE not irreversible. You can do it. Sounds like your already on the right track!

Old 02-20-2001, 11:16 AM   #9

niki2 HB User
Hi, Well I have just stopped smoking after 12 years or so, so I hope that some of the damage is irreversable or whats the point. ANYway I have some more tips that helped me with the weight and those times when you could murder a *** .
1. Buy lots of lolly pops....Helps with the hand to mouth, oral gratification stuff.
2. Go to the gym lots... join step, arobics, dance classes. Anything vigerious then you don't put any weight on and you feel 100% better... I am now addicted to keep fit.
3. Keep as busy and hectic life as possible...try to avoid all situations and have a boring life for a few weeks.
4. Drink something else to what you normally drink... I went for tia maria and coke (very tasty when you've stopped smoking.)
5. If your single go for guys that don't smoke for the extra incentive.. even if you
can't have them... pretend that its a possibility... You never know..
6. Think how many days, weeks and years you
will be adding to the quality of your life.
you will be glad you have them when the time comes...

I think that is it...
GOOD LUCK.... You can do it.!! I DID.. (Weakest willed person in the world)

Old 02-20-2001, 12:39 PM   #10

Lucky HB User
Niki,

CONGRATULATIONS!! I also smoked about 13 years and quit this past September. It's so nice to go into a restaurant and ask for non-smoking. Now if I can get my husband to quit!!!!

To the rest of you. Don't give up. You will come to a place where where you will quit!

Closed Thread