It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2001, 02:08 PM   #1

Madeline HB User
Question "18 deaths caused by Zyban"

I started taking Zyban yesterday to try and quit smoking...hopefully this time it will work!!

However, my fiance heard on the radio today about Zyban causing 18 deaths. Can someone please tell me where this information came from our where I can look into it!

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist about Zyban. Personally, I believe the media have a great deal to answer for. Besides, how many people have died from smoking for goodness sake?!

I would just like to be able to do a bit of research and keep myself informed.

I am fully aware of the possible side effects of this drug and how nasty they can be. I have friends who have gone through it. However, even though I have a history of serious depression and anxiety, I am convinced that taking Zyban is worth the risk if it means I can kick this disgusting habit for good.

Just remember....side effects will pass, lung cancer wont.

Old 02-20-2001, 09:30 PM   #2

Spizzletrunk HB User
I guess everyone is different. I have tried Zyban three times in the last year and a half. I quit smoking easily (strange new positive mindframe overcame me) and also felt compelled to stop drinking coffee as well. I had no real side effects during the first two tries. A mild stone, sweating, rapid heart beat, dry mouth and tired eyes, anxiety, sleeplessness, newfound energy. What is caused by the Zyban and what is caused by withdrawal? I have always taken one pill (150mg?) for three days and then increased the dose to two (150mg?)
a day for about seventy days. I quit smoking after five days the first time and after eight days the second time. What you may have thought before is why three attempts? Well, my problem was that when i felt an unusual strong craving for a cigarette it was usually pill time. When the pill wore off and the craving returned it was pill time again and so on. This happened after three days of not smoking and I should mention that the cravings were much milder than withdrawal symptoms of 'cold turkey'. So when i stopped the Zyban, it took about a week before I was influenced to smoke again. I felt like garbage but became hooked again. So of course, some will power on the patient's part is surely needed.
As I type this message, I am currently on my third attempt in my battle to quit smoking. Once again I took one pill (150mg) for three days and then doubled the dose up till now. I quit cigarettes after nine days on the Zyban. This time around, my glands below my jaw at the beginning of my neck are swollen and my mouth is a mess and in an annoying ache. Canker sores came from nowhere after not smoking for a day, but I enjoy the Zyban. It is the first deferral that has given me the best results over anything else. And this time I feel the most positive ever and I never want to have another cigarette again as long as i live. i hate the smell, I hate the stains it brings to everything - windshields, curtains, ceilings. I hate that second hand smoke may affect my three year old daughter and that she may smoke one day. Of course, everyone is free to choose their own path (in most cases around this area anyways). I am confident now, but will I be in the future? I think so right now. Zyban is not that bad at all and with a bit of will power one can quite smoking. Any side effects are a minor inconvenience as opposed to lung cancer or throat cancer etc.
The only thing that scared me was the minute chance of seizures with some users. Consult your doctor first and never take this drug from a friend or relative, even if they've quit smoking with the help of Zyban!
This is only my experience with Zyban and from all the terrible stories I've read so far, I felt compelled to share my decent experience with Zyban. I suppose though if one thinks it's decent then one wouldn't need to enter these message boards though and so all we see are negative comments, although this is a Zyban side effect follow up. Good luck to all and anyone with questions or in need of support, please feel free to e-mail me. Please, no negative e-mails, constructive criticism is fine though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread