It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2001, 07:32 AM   #1

SuPeRMaN5 HB User
Post Does everyone who smokes get lung cancer??

Does "everyone" who smokes get lung cancer? I don't smoke alot maybe 3 cigarettes a week, when I'm out with my friends. I swim so it's not like I just sit there and don't use my lungs either, I keep my lungs in shape.

Old 02-17-2001, 03:58 PM   #2
Inactive

ruffeo HB User
hmm... cigs are a major cause of lung cancer, but to say everyone who smokes cigs get lung cancer... no.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2001, 04:51 PM   #3

richardthelionhearted HB User
You could probably smoke three cig's a week for the rest of your life, and never have any health complications at all.

But You won't.

Either you'll get addicted (like the rest of us did) and smoke enough that it does cause health problems (not just lung cancer, either), or you'll get smart and quit now while it painless for you to quit.

If you really like pain, though, get addicted and try to quit. Or just get yourself a hammer and whack your thumb about 25 times a day. It's a lot healthier.

Old 02-18-2001, 10:45 AM   #4
Inactive

ruffeo HB User
If your asking this question because you want to quit, then, hell yeah smoking causes lung cancer! It stunts growth also! Makes your teeth brown, your finger nails brown. It's nasty, quit, today!

Old 02-18-2001, 11:32 AM   #5
Inactive

plymouth HB User
Thumbs down

Most people who get lung cancer were smokers.

Most smokers will never get lung cancer. Smokers mostly die from heart disease, strokes and respiratory diseases like emphysema.

Most of the bad health effects of smoking are associated with smoking ten or more cigarettes a day.

Old 02-19-2001, 07:20 AM   #6

Lucky HB User
My. husband had an Aunt that died of lung cancer.

She never smoked or drank in her life. She was a "clean freak". He said you couldn't even walk in her garage with your shoes on. They think it was from breathing in the fumes of all those cleaners. That's ashame, isn't it.

Old 02-19-2001, 08:11 PM   #7

A darn shame. I knew a guy who had lung cancer at 21. Never smoked and no-one in his family smoked. No reason for it that the doctors could name, he just got it.

But I've only met one person with lung cancer like that. I've met many others that were (former) smokers.

I believe it was England's King James who said in the 1600's, "Tobacco is a filthy weed, noxious to the eyes and lungs" *paraphrased, obviously*

Old 02-20-2001, 12:34 PM   #8

Lucky HB User
Hey lion. I know what you mean. A friend of mine, her mother just died of Emphysema this past year. She said there was absolutely nothing wrong with her except she couldn't breath.

I smoked for 13 years and quit 9-27-00. I remember that date like it was yesterday. (Can't even remember my wedding date. - go figure) And it seems like yesterday. I still can't believe it's been almost 5 mos since my last cigarette.

For all of you who would like to quit, I wish you the best. I started out smoking "socially" on the weekends . . . then up to 2 packs a day, then down to less than one pack a day, then I quit. Hallelujah!

For the one who posted they only smoke 3/wk. Good for you, quit now! Before it gets you. Because if you keep it up . . . IT WILL GET YOU!!!

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2001, 07:56 PM   #9

I also started out smoking "socially". I Smoked for more than ten years and tried numerous times to quit before finally succeeding.

Whenever I was suffering through an attempt at quitting, I would think to myself, "if only I could impress upon some kid who is just 'playing around' with cig's how much this hurts, and how much easier it would be for them to quit now rather than waiting till they're hooked through the bag like I am..."

Anyway, hopefully superman will leave well enough alone.

Old 02-21-2001, 09:16 AM   #10

alazay HB User
If you only smoke 3 cigarettes a week, what is the point of even smoking. It is a bad habit, no matter how much you smoke, it would be smart for you just to not do it at all. You are still young, and if you fail to believe it or not, it WILL get worse, and the number of cigarettes you smoke a week will start to increase. I know from personal experience. I smoked every now in then from about 15-16 years old. Then about 17 it got to about 2-3 a day, then when i was 18-21 I smoked about eight to ten times a day, then on weekends about a pack a day. The whole time when I started I could of swore to you I would never get addicted. Luckily on Christmas of 2000, I woke up and said to myself that I would never smoke again. I havn't smoke another cigarette since then. Its been two months now, and still haven't smoked a cigarette. It was hard, especially when everyone you know smokes in your face, but I was strong, and got over it. For the last 2-3 weeks the cravings are gone, and smoke smells so nasty to me, and I wonder how I ever did it in the first place. I feel like I can even breath better. I know you think this is so long and boring, but in a few years this will all make sense to you. Anyways, the point is, stop smoking now while it is at three cigs. a week, because you don't want to regret it in the long run!

Closed Thread