It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2001, 04:22 PM   #1
Inactive

ruffeo HB User
Question cold turkey or gradual?

Is it easier to quit smoking cigs cold turkey or taking the gradual approach by lowering your cigs per day? I've talked to some friends who have successfully quit smoking and a majority of them have told me that they went cold turkey in order to quit.

I have been smoking for about 2 years. I think it's a mixture of my hereditary genes and of course the nicotine that causes me to be so trapped and enveloped by smoking cigs.

I recently have tried going the gradual route but I failed. I smoke about 10 cigs on a normal day and about 20- one pack of cigs on the days I decide to go partying, which is about 2 times out of the week. I told myself this was the year I will get the ultimate birthday gift, my real life back. My birthday is on the 22nd of Feb.

It's time to be healthy.
Any advice towards my question would be greatly appritiated. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-05-2001, 11:51 PM   #2
Inactive

Lori HB User
Thumbs up

Hi there Ruffeo,
Good for you that you want to quit!
Well, first of all Im sure that you realize that everyone is different and the method they use to quit totally depends on what works for YOU. Since you already tried the gradual approach and it didnt turn out well for you could mean that it didnt work for you THAT TIME or maybe you could go about it a different way? OR it could mean that that just isnt what works for you and maybe cold turkey is the way to go. Have you tried aids like the patch, gum, etc? Those help lots of people also.
Some gradual approaches are switching to a brand you dont like, holding off for a cigarette for as long as you can in the morning/all day till you just cant STAND it without a smoke, ONLY smoking outside/while standing up/etc. I personally find these methods dont work for me and I end up "cheating" anyway. For me it was all or nothing so I had to go cold turkey. But like I said earlier, everyone is different With you basically only smoking half a pack it shouldnt be a big problem with the cold turkey approach, with some stop-smoking aids possibly? Keep trying you'll get it! Browse the other posts on this board for some REALLLY good info when you have time, they will help you a lot. Take care and keep us posted please! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY on the 22nd!
Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2001, 08:55 AM   #3
Inactive

ruffeo HB User
Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried any patches/gum/pills, and I don't plan on it. I have to quit smoking, I just have to, living the way I have lived, not being fit anymore is just killing me. Must get healthy. my only problm now is, I just got invited to Mardi Gras.... which means drinking and drugs, which could ultimately lead to me smoking cigs, unknowingly. Maybe I should extend my "Quit" day? :P Well, thanks for the reply, I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-07-2001, 12:58 PM   #4

ser HB User
Rufeo- I personaly went cold turkey and slept for a week. Drink a lot of water. If you really want to quit ask your Dr what altenitives are out there to help you. Set your date to quit during a inactive part of your life the less stress the better. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 02-13-2001, 07:12 AM   #5

kristi HB User
Talking

hey it is different for everyone to quit but my personal opinion is to quit cold turkey b-c i just came off of one of those gradual things and it just doesn't work very well for me anyway...i have been "cutting down" since january 29.....well today is the day i said forget cigarettes....good luck to you and i hope you can quit...

Old 02-24-2001, 11:52 AM   #6

CloudiDay HB User
I used to wonder the same thing, until I read Allen Carr's book (available in the U.K.) on quitting smoking. His take is that cutting down just makes it worse, since it just makes you attached to each ciggie more! His deal is: 1) pick a day 2) quit and be happy 3) never smoke again. The first week is something merely to be endured, but after three weeks you're an ex-smoker. It's rather an annoying book, and it was harder to quit than he said it would be, but I quit after 25 years, and I'm never going to smoke again.

Cold turkey!

Old 02-26-2001, 07:34 AM   #7

Lucky HB User
Hey Cloudiday . . . good for you!

Ruffeo, although, I'm sure quitting cold turkey is the best way to go, I do use the gum when I get urges . . . although, I have found that I now am addicted to the gum and someday here soon I am going to have to get off of it. Although I would rather chew the gum then to smoke, but would rather be off of the nicotine . . . PERIOD! Such a terrible addiction!!!!!

You try whatever works for you. And when you quit, however you do it, just be glad you did!

Lucky

Closed Thread