It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2001, 10:04 PM   #1

'Chelle HB User
Question Help! Serious weight gain....

Hello! This is my first posting...yes, a newbie! I'm desperately looking for suggestions and any other helpful info on how to lose weight after quitting smoking. I'd like to attempt quitting....for the 3rd time.....but I can't handle the weight gain. The other times I quit, I put on at least 15-25 pounds in a month then started smoking again because I was so frustrated!
I ate well and exercised like crazy! I could not lose any of it. I'm 5'2" and normally weigh 105. So the weight was very noticable on my frame. I've been smoking for 14 years now, and need to quit once and for all! Any help on this would be much appreciated!

[This message has been edited by 'Chelle (edited 02-25-2001).]

Old 02-23-2001, 11:24 AM   #2

tav77 HB User
If you get any replies, please let me know! This is my 49th day off cigs! YEAH! But, boooo - I've gained 12 lbs! This is my all time weight at its highest! I am 5'6 1/2 and now weight 162! I can't take it! My pants are splitting at the seams, and the water weight is almost untolerable!

I am drinking more water than I ever have, they say thats good. I'm watching what I eat and I get bigger and bigger by the minute! I've been riding my bike for either 20 to 30 minutes per night.

HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2001, 01:54 PM   #3

tundra HB User
Yes--please, someone help!
I too have this situation. It will be 1 year in March for me since quitting. My weight had remained the same (5'4"~~ 113#) for nearly 20 years prior to quitting. within a month after quitting I put on 17#. I have always watched what I eat, and I put in 2 hours of aerobics and weight lifting a day, and run 4-5 miles per night, 6 days a week. This didn't change after quitting, but the weight did! I have reduced my caloric intake even further for the past 2 months, but still no loss. I've had to supplement my diet just to make sure I'm getting enough nutrients. I'd hate to think the rest of my days will need to be so spartan---I like more than just salad! I heard that nicotine is a stimulant, and some weight gain is to be expected, but it will even out in 6 or so months. this hasn't been my experience, and everyone I know that quit says the only way the weight came back off was to go back. I havn't had a craving in so long now, I can't even remember the last one, but I'm actually considering going back as nothing else is different in my schedule but smoking, and the extra weight is putting extra strain on my knees, back and feet when I run, and I sure don't intend to give up running!

tundra

Old 02-25-2001, 05:33 PM   #4
Inactive

Lori HB User
HI!
Have you all tested for a Thyroid problem? I read on the net that the smoking can trigger something with the thyroid and it sounds to me you should get tested. At least then you can rule that out. Sorry I couldnt help more.
Take care!
Lori

Old 02-25-2001, 06:55 PM   #5

'Chelle HB User
Hi Lori...
Thanks for your suggestion! That's a good idea to have the thyroid checked. It would be nice if there was something that ex-smokers could take which would stabilize the metabolism(?)after quitting. It's stressful enough to quit smoking....let alone the weight gain! I always thought I had a high metabolism. While smoking, I can eat anything and everything! But the few times I quit, I just looked at food and gained weight! So much for a fast metabolism! Thanks again for your suggestion....I appreciate it.

tav77 & tundra:
Hi! Thanks for your replies! Oh, I sure know what your going through! That's great you quit smoking though. Good luck. Have you read Lori's reply? It's a good idea.

Old 02-25-2001, 09:38 PM   #6

tundra HB User
You know, my Dr. suggested I might want a thyroid test. I had one years ago when I had a quick dip in my weight (boy, what I wouldn't give for another of those), but it tested OK. They tell me that the tests have changed since then---I just really hate to have blood drawn. I'm getting shivers just thinking of it! My hubby is hyperthyroid (lucky duck!), and is on daily meds. Maybe we could get his 'n her scripts! I'm also 43 now, and I suppose I should expect SOME changes, but I really miss my size 5's. I can't afford a new wardrobe, and I'm pretty sick of overalls! The + is my hubby likes my new look (got some boobies now), I'm just not comfortable with it---the women in my family tend to be somewhat rectangular. My mom refers to our senior relatives in axe handle widths.

tundra

Old 02-26-2001, 07:20 AM   #7

Lucky HB User
Thumbs up

Good morning everyone . . .

Just a little extra information for you.

**** My mother is a nurse and told me that it is a fact that smoking burns between 10-20% of your calorie intake, so when you quit most people usually do gain weight.

**** HOWEVER, it only takes between 6 mos to a year for your metabolism to adjust to this change and after that, you'll be fine.

PLEASE don't start smoking again because of a little weight gain. You can lose the weight. You can't regain your health . . .

I am now at 5 mos. of no smoking. I have not gained any weight, and I don't know why . . . but if I did, I wouldn't care. I am soo happy with my new life w/o cigs, a little extra weight couldn't bring me down. Just work on one thing at a time.

Chew a lot of gum and drink alot of water . . . and stick to it. You can work on the weight issue later.

Good luck to you all!!

God Bless.

Lucky

Old 02-26-2001, 12:50 PM   #8

tav77 HB User
My throyid was tested last October, it was normal. Would it change after smoking? Probably not huh. I could only eat like a bird before quitting smoking, so I'm sure I will just have to exercise more!

I'm determined not to go back to cigs - so I guess I will take a deep breath and exercise!

Thanks for all of the information! When quitting smoking, as you know, every little bit of support helps! It is 52 days for me!

Closed Thread