It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2001, 02:18 PM   #1

Madeline HB User
Question Help Please - Zyban Side Effects

I have just started taking Zyban, yesterday in fact.

I am fully prepared for and informed of the side effects of Zyban and am willing to take the risk if it means I can stop smoking.

However, I was wondering how long it is going to be until those side effects start to kick in...a few days, a week? I must admit, I already feel a bit strange.

If you can give me an idea of when to expect things I would really be grateful...forewarned is forearmed after all!

Thanks all!

Old 02-18-2001, 03:30 PM   #2

richardthelionhearted HB User
Madeline, my side effects began within a couple days after I began taking the full dose. One of the side effects was paranoia about certain health issues. I don't want to tell you what, because I'm afraid it will cause you to have a phsycosomatic (sp?) side effects. The closest I could come to a reference for this in the product literature was that it sometimes caused "strange thoughts".

The second side effect I experienced was that I didn't stress out very much about various life issues (unrelated to smoking). I think this is due to the anti-depressant nature of the drug. I probably have very mild depression that was relieved by the zyban.

The third side effect was extremely strange and quite pleasant. I don't have any idea how to describe it, but music was MUCH more enjoyable for me while taking zyban. All music in general, but particularly heavy bass druggie kind of early 70's acid rock kind of music. It was like there was switch in my head that was turned on that allowed me to hear the rythm of the music in a totally different way.

I'm sure that WANTING to quit was the most important part of my quitting, but it seemed that zyban helped a lot. GOOD LUCK!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2001, 04:25 PM   #3

Madeline HB User
Thank you for replying so quickly Lionheart.

Guess insomnia is one of the side effects...mind you, I'm like that anyway.

Thanks for warning me. Strangely enough, I said to a friend on the phone a little while ago that I was starting to feel a bit strange and paranoid!! Woo hoo...here we go!!

Hmm...the music one made me smile! Can't see me getting into that scene but you never know huh? I live over a pub so maybe the racket they make will be a little more appealing, or is that just wishful thinking?! *grin*

I have a history, right up to the present, of severe depression and anxiety so I know all about it and the effects of it. Some people think I am crazy to risk the side effects of Zyban, but I know what the warning signs are and how to deal with it! Besides...side effects do pass.

I just want to quit and am damn well determined I am going to do it this time, regardless of what I have to go through. A few weeks of hell is well worth it if I can kick this habit...like I said, side effects go away but lung cancer wont.

I may end up crying out again on here if the pills do take a hold...but I wont give up giving up!!

Your reply and communication is much appreciated.

Old 02-18-2001, 05:04 PM   #4

richardthelionhearted HB User
Your very welcome. I have been smoke free for 18 months and nicotine free for over a year. I rarely even think about it anymore. Once you get through the first few weeks you'll be fine.

Old 02-20-2001, 10:46 AM   #5

niki2 HB User
Exclamation

Hi M...
Well I am now on my 8th week and going OK. NOW.. I did have a hell of a time initially, and wondered if I would ever return to the planet earth. SIDE-EFFECTS they are not to be taken lightly, if you get them bad then go on to 1 a day, I did this and did not find it
a problem. I had every side-effect on the leaflet, and I couldn't go about my every day
activities, I couldnt drive, I felt like ****
and basically if wasnt worth the 2nd tablet.
So if you have any doubts about reducing the side effects... don't. It will be hard for a couple of days... but hey... its better than putting up with those BLOODY SIDE EFFECTS
Good Luck...

Old 02-20-2001, 11:38 AM   #6

niki2 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by richardthelionhearted:
Your very welcome. I have been smoke free for 18 months and nicotine free for over a year. I rarely even think about it anymore. Once you get through the first few weeks you'll be fine.

Old 02-20-2001, 11:59 AM   #7

niki2 HB User

Hi M...
Well I am now on my 8th week and going OK. NOW.. I did have a hell of a time initially,
and wondered if I would ever return to the planet earth. SIDE-EFFECTS they are not
to be taken lightly, if you get them bad then go on to 1 a day, I did this and did not
find it
a problem. I had every side-effect on the leaflet, and I couldn't go about my every
day
activities, I couldnt drive, I felt like ****
and basically if wasnt worth the 2nd tablet.
So if you have any doubts about reducing the side effects... don't. It will be hard for a
couple of days... but hey... its better than putting up with those BLOODY SIDE
EFFECTS
Good Luck...
Quote:
Originally posted by Madeline:
I have just started taking Zyban, yesterday in fact.

I am fully prepared for and informed of the side effects of Zyban and am willing to take the risk if it means I can stop smoking.

However, I was wondering how long it is going to be until those side effects start to kick in...a few days, a week? I must admit, I already feel a bit strange.

If you can give me an idea of when to expect things I would really be grateful...forewarned is forearmed after all!

Thanks all!

Old 02-20-2001, 09:25 PM   #8

Spizzletrunk HB User
Cool

I guess everyone is different. I have tried Zyban three times in the last year and a half. I quit smoking easily (strange new positive mindframe overcame me) and also felt compelled to stop drinking coffee as well. I had no real side effects during the first two tries. A mild stone, sweating, rapid heart beat, dry mouth and tired eyes, anxiety, sleeplessness, newfound energy. What is caused by the Zyban and what is caused by withdrawal? I have always taken one pill (150mg?) for three days and then increased the dose to two (150mg?)
a day for about seventy days. I quit smoking after five days the first time and after eight days the second time. What you may have thought before is why three attempts? Well, my problem was that when i felt an unusual strong craving for a cigarette it was usually pill time. When the pill wore off and the craving returned it was pill time again and so on. This happened after three days of not smoking and I should mention that the cravings were much milder than withdrawal symptoms of 'cold turkey'. So when i stopped the Zyban, it took about a week before I was influenced to smoke again. I felt like garbage but became hooked again. So of course, some will power on the patient's part is surely needed.
As I type this message, I am currently on my third attempt in my battle to quit smoking. Once again I took one pill (150mg) for three days and then doubled the dose up till now. I quit cigarettes after nine days on the Zyban. This time around, my glands below my jaw at the beginning of my neck are swollen and my mouth is a mess and in an annoying ache. Canker sores came from nowhere after not smoking for a day, but I enjoy the Zyban. It is the first deferral that has given me the best results over anything else. And this time I feel the most positive ever and I never want to have another cigarette again as long as i live. i hate the smell, I hate the stains it brings to everything - windshields, curtains, ceilings. I hate that second hand smoke may affect my three year old daughter and that she may smoke one day. Of course, everyone is free to choose their own path (in most cases around this area anyways). I am confident now, but will I be in the future? I think so right now. Zyban is not that bad at all and with a bit of will power one can quite smoking. Any side effects are a minor inconvenience as opposed to lung cancer or throat cancer etc.
The only thing that scared me was the minute chance of seizures with some users. Consult your doctor first and never take this drug from a friend or relative, even if they've quit smoking with the help of Zyban!
This is only my experience with Zyban and from all the terrible stories I've read so far, I felt compelled to share my decent experience with Zyban. I suppose though if one thinks it's decent then one wouldn't need to enter these message boards though and so all we see are negative comments, although this is a Zyban side effect follow up. Good luck to all and anyone with questions or in need of support, please feel free to e-mail me. Please, no negative e-mails, constructive criticism is fine though.

Old 02-21-2001, 09:41 AM   #9

niki2 HB User
Thumbs up

Sorry about comming over negative, I had just read the last message and it made me think that maybe my side effects were relative compared with his/hers.
ZYban is the best method I have tried so far and if it prevents later illness and gives me
valuable years I wouldn't of had other wise
then yes the ZYBAN side effects are worth it.
But they do worry you... I suppose some extra support wouldn't go a miss for people starting to use them. They can be very scarey...

nix

Old 02-21-2001, 11:47 AM   #10

ser HB User
I quit smoking almost 4 months ago. I became very bit*** along with other things. I also have a thyroid issue so it is hard to tell what caused the mood change. Well the Dr put me on celexa and that took the edge off and the mood is better. If the moods didn't change I would have started to smoke again this happened once before when I quit and that lasted for a month and I was intollerable to my family and me. So I smoked again.

Welbluten or zyban is an anti-depresant what class I don't know. I do know that with the Celexa it took 8 weeks to have the side effects pass in the most part. The one that still lingers is the feeling of being buzzed and feeling too happy at times (weird huh) I hope the zyban helps you continue to stay away from smoking.

Old 02-24-2001, 11:46 AM   #11

CloudiDay HB User
The funny thing is that I quit smoking cold-turkey 3 weeks ago (after 25-years), and have had *many* of the same side-effects you folks have been talking about w/ Zyban.

During the first few days I was really spacey and tired, but couldn't sleep. I also had muscle spasms in my legs, which hasn't completely passed. I'm still manically happy, with tons of energy, and have started babbling, especially to strangers. No paranoia, but I am clearly altered.

So remember, only part of what is going on is the side effects of the drug -- the other part is the lack of another!

Old 02-25-2001, 03:02 PM   #12

mandy crosby HB User
Wink

I stopped smoking just over 3 weeks ago with the help of zyban. In the past i have tried, and failed using patches, inhalors,gum ect ect; Zyban has definatly been the best method for me (plus lots of water and sunflower seeds!)
The side affects have been very minimal compared to the negative feelings of smoking and the sense of achievement is wonderful and to know my husband, daughters ect are so proud of me and so encouraging.
The way I feel now is wanting to feel 'normal' again ie wanting to stop thinking about smoking or having any withdrawl pangs (even if mild). I want to be able to cope with problems without thinking about cigarettes. Most literature says these feelings go/fade after 3-4 weeks - is this what most people found, i relly would like to know.

Old 02-28-2001, 12:59 PM   #13

niki2 HB User
Don't panic... they WILL FADE.. and eventually dissappear. I haven't had one for 9 weeks.. I feel alot better and alot healthier. I get the urge to have one when
I go out and drink but this normally goes away. If it doesn't I get a large straight brandy or whisky that normally cures it. But have faith in yourself, you have got this far and you have done the hardest bit.. It justa matter of telling that little man in your head that your not interested anymore.. a bit like an ex boyfriend who keeps annoying you and sometimes you may feel sorry for him and give in.... WELL YOU CANT... You can do better and its definetly not worth it...
Hope this helps you..

Closed Thread