It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2001, 06:56 PM   #1

Brookej HB User
Post I have to quit smoking-Please help me!

Hi. I hope someone will see this post and give me some feedback ASAP. I was going to quit smoking on Feb. 11 but I didn't so I am going to quit smoking tomorrow. I know I simply can't have one when I wake up in the morning or I will be doomed to yet another day of smoking-period. I feel like I desperately need a support group since this is one of the few things that I haven't tried and when I say support-I mean like everyday support-at least for awhile.
If just a few people out there who have quit or are quitting tomorrow (3/1/01) like me could rep;y to my post, I think it would help. We could give each other pep talks if needed. I could probably use a good scolding if I get tempted to smoke although I realize that others may not want to be scolded. Positive reinforcement or encouragement in case of a slip would be helpful. I wish there were a lot of nicotine anonomous meetings available where I live but there are only about a handful a week at different locations. I've been to two in the past but they were at night after dark in locations I didn't feel safe going to. My husband has been going to AA meetings for over 13 years and has not had a drink for over 13 years. He can go to a meeting every day or night nearby. I wish the nicotine anonomous meetings were that way. At least we have computers so mabey I could accomplish some daily support this way for awhile.
I have been smoking for way too long and I have quit a few times in the past but I never stay quit. It is so easy to find an excuse to smoke again. I quit last summer for awhile because I had surgery and I know that non-smokers heal much better than smokers but I had poor results from my surgery anyway (my surgery didn't accomplish what I expected) so I figured-what the heck and here I am again. My husband smokes although he confines it to one room in the house or outside as do I but they are still readily available. I made him take all the cigarettes from the house when he went to work and I couldn't drive for awhile after surgery so that worked well for awhile.
We both tried the patch last week but he took his off the second day and started smoking again. I got intense unbearable itching from the patch so I couldn't do it that way. I would rather do it cold turkey anyway and rid my body of these deadly addictive toxins. I can't understand why something so harmful and addictive is legal. I think there is at least one country where it is actually illegal. I think I could stay a non-smoker if it became illegal. For now, it is to easy to go to a nearby store and just buy them although it is expensive these days.
We both quit with hypnosis about 12 years ago and I did great with that until he started smoking again. We tried about 3 other ways to quit over the years but never stayed quit. He stayed quit longer than I did one time so one or the other of us starts it up again when we "quit" together and we end up right back where we started. I get pretty depressed sometimes and figure I'll end up with lung cancer or emphasema anyway even if I quit now and never smoke again since I have been at it for so long. I know this isn't necessarily true. Some people have great success stories after many years of smoking and some don't but I guess I will never find out if I don't give it a try. There is always hope especially if your faith is strong enough.
I don't want to try Zyban even though it may help my depression because for one thing I would have to get a prescription and I am too ashamed of myself to let my Dr. know I started up smoking again. Besides, I am afraid I'll start liking it or something. I started liking the pain medicine I took after surgery last year but the post-op pain ended and so did the pain med supply. I am not the type of person who would do anything illegal so that is why I wish cigarettes were illegal.
I want to quit and stay quit whether my husband does or not. Mabey he will if I do. Anyway, I am sorry for rattling on so. I guess I just needed to get some feelings out and express some fears. The rest of my posts won't be so long. I check the active topics first thing every morning. If there is even just one reply to me I will feel like someone cares and I won't reach for that first morning cigarette. I know people are busy and can't be on the computer all the time but if sometime during the day everyday for awhile I could communicate with someone-it would help. I would also like to help others with this horrible addiction but I am in need of help myself. Once I hit the submit button, I think I will feel more committed to quitting than I have been for awhile-especially if I see a response in the morning. Thanks for reading my post if you got through the whole thing! On a lighter note, I have been sitting here eating candy like crazy while typing this post (I am a very slow typist). Sweet tarts, jolly ranchers, etc.-you name it! I have carrots and celery in my refridgerator so I think I better switch to that tomorrow. I don't want to gain weight and my candy supply is almost gone now. Good night!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2001, 12:25 AM   #2
Inactive

Lori HB User
Hi Brookej!
Good for you! First of all, there are many people on this board who are very supportive and will be there with you every step of the way, including me. I think we all are going through the whole quitting process right now or have already quit.
A little about me is that I quit 4 months ago cold turkey. Just one day I woke up and said to myself "Do I really need a cigarette?" and said I would go as long as I could without one. And here I am still going strong. Of course I needed support and help. I CONSTANTLY had to remind myself of why I was quitting. CONSTANTLY! I would even catch myself (and still do sometimes!) holding my eye-liner like a smoke, or carrot stick or whatever! *laugh* The longer I go however the less I do that. My habits are now almost all changed from when I was a smoker, and I dont even think about it that much anymore. Sometimes it gets hard thats why Im still treating myself like I had just quit.
You already sound like you know what to expect and what to do while quitting, and like you said that support is so VERY VERY important. Especially through this tough time! My Fiance and I quit within days of each other. I quit and then 2 days later he decided to quit. I know it would have been sooo much harder to quit if someone Im around so much and see everyday is smoking when I cant. Even those 2 days that he was still smoking I would actually be jealous of him that he got to smoke! How horrible,heh? Though he didnt do it in front of me I knew when he was going outside that he was smoking, and he smelled like smoke when he came back in. Was really rough even then. So willpower is extremely important!
I agree that cigarettes should be illegal. They kill people. They kill people that dont have a choice also (children, pets, and other second-hand-smoke victims). Its just so sad. Luckily it is becomming less and less socially acceptable maybe someday it will be banned all together......
I try to be here everyday or every-other day at least. I work nights and this is my relaxer when I get home! *laugh* So if you need ANY help there is myself and many others on this board who will be willing to just talk to you and help you through this. Also when you get time go through the previous posts, they have lots of good information!!
Take care we are here for you!
GOOD LUCK
Lori

Old 03-01-2001, 07:43 AM   #3

Brookej HB User
Lori,
Thank you so much for responding and offering your support. I was hoping there would be a night person out there somewhere who liked to get on the computer to unwind so I would have something to go on when I got up this morning. Of course I syayed in bed as long as I could!
Four months is fantastic! I can relate to the jealousy that you mentioned and the hand habits although it seems more like I need to have something in my mouth like candy, etc. When I have quit in the past for awhile, I found the smell to be abnoxious. Most of my friends don't even smoke so I am a closet smoker around them. When we go out for lunch, I have my last cigarette before my bath and getting dressed so I don't have "the smell" on me but I would certainly grab for that cig as soon as I got home! That's sick isn't it?
I am glad you have your fiancee for added support since he can relate to the addiction also. How is he doing with the process? Keep up the good work - your future children (if you are planning to have any) will be healthier. Thanks again for your support. Even this one response will help me to get through today. Talk to you later!

Old 03-01-2001, 01:31 PM   #4
Inactive

Lori HB User
HI Brookej
How is your first day going?
Thats hard when your friends dont know you smoke. One good thing I supose is you can go out with them and keep yourself busy without them smoking in front of you!
I was keeping my smoking a secret from my Mother for years, even though I am "of legal age" I didnt want to let my Mom down like that. She's actually the main reason I quit in the first place. I felt so bad hiding that dirty secret from her, knowing that of course she knows whats best for me. And that she trusted me when I lied to her.. That was the only secret I held from her. But now I turned that around and can honestly say to her face I am not smoking.
My fiance is doing great also, thank you for asking!
Hope you are going ok and look forward to hear how you are doing
Take care!
Lori

Old 03-01-2001, 05:41 PM   #5

Brookej HB User
Hi Lori,
Thanks for checking on me. Today hasn't exactly been a cake walk but so far I am hanging in there. I find myself going for hard candy more than the carrots and celery. I have never been that big of a sweets eater except when I try to quit smoking. Is it possible to become a werther's original addict?! I would rather fight a candy addiction than this nicotine addiction!
Keep up the good work and I'll do the same. I wish I were as far along as you are but I'll get there if I keep trying. By the way, I am new at using the smilies so I tried to put a couple in this post. I am not sure if I did it right but I tried. I am also on a MAC so I don't know if that makes a difference. Talk to you later.
Brookej

Old 03-01-2001, 10:55 PM   #6
Inactive

Lori HB User
Thumbs up

Hi there Brookej!
Way to go getting through the first day!! It isnt easy but something this important never is. Im so proud of you!!!
Thats ok going for that hard candy! Thats so much better than going for that cig. Minty stuff is good too, makes your mouth feel all clean too. If you want to know another trick that helps a lot of people is citrus fruit and juices. I dont know why it works but it does! Of course stay awaaaaay from cafiene at least for now, or lower your intake a bit. Ummm, Ill try to think of more 'snacking tricks' and get back to you.
Well glad to hear you are still hanging in there and doing well. Keep up the great work!!!!!
Take care,
Lori
PS You did the smilies just fine

Old 03-02-2001, 05:24 AM   #7

Brookej HB User
Smile

Hi Lori,
This on-line support is working much better than I thought it would and it is just what I needed! I feel like I have new friends out there that I never would have found if I had not tried. I even figured out how to do the smilies right! This is better than going to nicotine anonomous meetings - I wonder why those never seemed to catch on like AA meetings. AA has really helped my husband to keep from drinking but it is not the place to be if you want to quit smoking - lots of smoking going on at those meetings. I guess it is hard to fight two addictions at the same time.
Thanks for the tip on citrus juices. I'll try that one too. Mandy mentioned sunflower seeds which I will also try. Getting hooked on OJ and sunflower seeds wouldn't be so bad! Fighting this addiction isn't easy but I was desperate and sounded pathetic the first day I posted. I feel much better now except for the cravings. Have a good day and don't work too hard!
Take care.
Brookej

Old 03-03-2001, 12:28 AM   #8
Inactive

Lori HB User
Talking

Hi Brookej!
ITS THE WEEKEND AT LAST!
How are you doing?? Great job getting through the second day!! The worst is almost over!!!!!!!
I also heard that sunflower seeds are a good thing to have when quitting, thats a good idea!
Keep reminding yourself why youre quitting, those cravings will get better!
Talk to you soon and hope you have a great weekend!!
Lori

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 03-03-2001).]

Old 03-03-2001, 08:47 AM   #9

Brookej HB User
Talking

Hi Lori,
Yes the weekend is finally here! I ate a whole bag of baby carrots yesterday and cut down on the candy. I didn't get to the grocery store to get any sunflower seeds yet. I had a bad day yesterday! My computer crashed 2 or 3 times on me and I was totally frustrated. I felt like smoking AND getting drunk and I rarely drink! My husband told me to do a Norton's utilities check on my computer which I did and there were a few minor problems which got fixed. Why didn't I think of that!? It seems to be working good now.
It must be the withdrawal working on me. I think that's why I could never stay quit in the past. When I would get frustrated or stressed I would end up smoking. Carrots and candy don't relieve stress but mabey my eyesight will improve! I need to retrain my brain to find new coping mechanisms that don't involve nicotine. If computer crashes can do that to me then I am in big trouble or mabey I am looking for excuses.
You have a great weekend too.
Brookej

Old 03-03-2001, 03:54 PM   #10

mandy crosby HB User
Hi Everyone,
Just a quick message before I go to watch a film and have another G and T !!
Well i am just over the month now and feeling good, its really good to start to be able to get on with life again after such a short time and even beter when you are not smoking. I feel i have achieved something I should have done a long time ago (OR BETTER STILL NEVER STARTED). Anyway hows everyone else doing, i hope its going well - stick in there! Well back to the ' sunflower' issue, the literature i have ( which is called 'Survival Kit for stopping smoking') says to have the raw shelled sunflower seeds, I buy a hugh bag from the health shop and have a tub handy, I just eat a handful when-ever I get the urge to smoke. The literature says that they are an excellent source of vital nutrients (vit B, VIT E, iron ect; apparantly they mimic the effect of nicotine as they also contain various sedative essential oils (plus the vit B) which is good for the nervous system. It also says that nicotine triggers the release of glycogen from the liver, producing a temporary increase in brain activity and sunflower seeds produce a similar lift and stimulate the adrenal glands! So whatever they do I found they helped me so try them (their also healthier than eating the sweets). I also (according to Survival-Kit) took Vitamin B complex- again for the nervous system St. Johns Wort and vitamin C and drank 'gallons of water, which I carried a small bottle around with me constantly (the sport-type topped ones) which I found really helped. Anyway this was supposed to be a quick message, I have also been on the Zyban, and i have found it has really helped me but was wanting to know of anyone who has finished the 8 weeks and how they felt. I am now on my 5th week of taking it! I am curious to know if anyone felt any different when they came of the course. Take Care everyone and keep up the good work - Love Mandi
PS all this stuff for the nervous system must help as one of the things that let me down in the past was stressful situations ect and I have dealt with them really good!
PPS - Why don't my smilies work -

Old 03-03-2001, 03:56 PM   #11

mandy crosby HB User
Oops! My smilies did work

------------------

Old 03-03-2001, 10:45 PM   #12
Inactive

Lori HB User
Smile

Brookej,
Sorry to hear about your bad day! At least you handled one of your first stressfull obstacles and didnt smoke! Treat yourself for that! And here it is another day and it's only going to get better. Lack of concentration is unfortunatley one of the side effects of quitting for most people, but like all the others, it does get better also. When I quit my main problems were that I was an emotional rollercoaster and a big space cadet! *laugh* Didnt know if I was coming or going or crying about it or wanting to throw whatever through my window. Maybe try cleaning the house/car/desk/whatever when stressed, or even going for a quick walk,etc. That might help ya Please try not to drink alcohol, it lowers your control and like you said earlier, most of the time drinking and smoking go hand in hand. Well you take care and hang in there, youre doing great!!!!
Lori

Mandy Crosby,
Way to go on your month!!!!! Thats great!!! It is such a great feeling knowing you conquored one of the hardest things one will ever have to do. Keep it up and take care!
Lori

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 03-04-2001).]

Old 03-04-2001, 07:31 AM   #13

Brookej HB User
Talking

Lori,
I am happy to report that I am feeling very upbeat today. I feel like I am really doing myself and my body a favor by not smoking. Funny you should mention housework, etc. Idid just that yesterday and I felt much better about myself. It kept me busy and took my mind off the cigs. Take care and I'll talk to you later.
Brookej

Mandy,
Thanks for the info on the sunflower seeds. There is a health food store right up the road from me that I am betting will have what you described. I also take St. John's Wort and vitamin B complex. I see that you have figured out the smilies too! Take care!
Brookej

Old 03-04-2001, 10:10 PM   #14
Inactive

Lori HB User
Talking

Hi Brookej!
Glad you are feeling well today Cleaning not only keeps your hands and mind busy but being in a clean environment soothes the nerves quite a bit!
My weekend was good, I worked but was able to watch movies and unwind with fiance and puppy.
You really are doing fantastic at not smoking, again great job!!!
Take care,
Lori

Old 03-05-2001, 06:17 AM   #15

Lucky HB User
Thumbs up

Good Morning!!

Just a bit of info which works for me. I like the shelled sunflower seeds. I have to work at getting them unshelled, etc. which takes more time and when I get aggravated, it helps to settle me down. By the way, I am getting pretty good at spitting them shells out . . . . . real feminine looking too, if I may add . . . .

Keep up the good work!!!

Lucky

Closed Thread