It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2001, 01:08 PM   #1

Wndy HB User
Thumbs up well I am going to do it

Hiya all,

I have been coming here reading for the past couple of months, been doing that thinking thing. My health these days is not going great, I have been diagnosed with hyperthyoid and my eyes are starting to protrude, which could be part of the condition. However through lots of reading, it has been indicated that smoking can contribute to this disease. So three weeks ago I picked a quit date. Starting on Monday, March 19 I will be taking Zyban, I took it three years ago when it first came out, it worked for me, however one day I thought just one wouldn't hurt, well here I am three years later....

My quit date is April 1, 2001 and yes it was pointed out to me that it is April's Fool Day, however at the time I didn't realize it. My youngest who is 11 told me that he will be very sad if that is a April joke. I have told him that not to worry.

I do have concerns about the whole combination of quitting and I could be going on thyroid medication very close together, however I felt that I should just do. Especially the weight issue, both the quit and thryoid medication will increase my weight, however mentally I think I am prepared.

I told plan on being around this board for help.

Thanks for listening

Wendy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2001, 03:27 AM   #2
Inactive

Lori HB User
Good for you Wendy!!
We will be here with you every step of the way and help as much as we can
Take care,
Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2001, 07:54 AM   #3

Brookej HB User
Talking

Hi Wendy,
I'm with Lori - we'll be here for you! I also read the postings for awhile before I decided to join the healthboards - that "thinking thing" as you call it. You might be surprised at how many health conditions are contributed to (in a negative way) by smoking - I have read up a lot on it and I'm sure there are many more I'm not aware of. I didn't know about the thryoid one but I have osteoarthritis in my thumb joints and I found out that smoking is one of the things I need to avoid for that problem. You might want to check out the websites Lori listed in one of her posts if you haven't already. Good luck and keep us posted!
Brookej

Old 03-16-2001, 09:45 AM   #4

Lucky HB User
Hey Wendy,

Good for you. I know what you mean when your son said that to you. Mine has said that to me quite a few times (he's 10) I just quit about 5 months ago. Smoked for about 13 years.

Having a good mind set is the key! I haven't gained any weight from quitting and maybe you'll be fine.

We are all here for you . . . as you can see and I have found, there is a great support group here.

I also thought it was funny that you have a son about the same age as mine (he'll be 11 in May), and my actual real name is Wendy also . . .

Good luck to you.

Old 03-20-2001, 12:14 PM   #5

Wndy HB User
Thank you all for all the words of encouragement. I just know that this time is the time. I am already beginning to feel that I am smoking just to smoke, not really actually wanting it, this I feel is a good sign.

I will be coming around more often very soon for the support and also to lend support. Work is kinda crazy and should be slowing down.

I hope you all are doing well.....

Wendy

Closed Thread