It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2000, 12:09 PM   #1

ser HB User
Question tricks to stop mental urge to smoke?

I finally have said no to smoking after being in bed for a week with pnemonua. (25 years) I went cold turkey (third time - hope its a charm). I don't crave the nicotine but the action of going out to have a smoke is strong. I have two small ones and the 2-3 mins in the garage were sanity breaks.

Anyone have tips or tricks to stop this behavior?

Thanks

Old 11-14-2000, 12:45 PM   #2
Inactive

Lori HB User
First of all,congrats on quitting smoking! And as we all know,its not just the physical reason why we smoke. I find that the "habit" part of smoking is the hardest to overcome. Some suggestions that I have is just TRY TO KEEP BUSY doing something else. Maybe instead of going to the garage for your 'breathers' why not go into your own room and lock the door? or bathroom or another room in the house. If you can leave,going for a walk would be really great. And of course just trying to find other ways to relax is a necesity. Deep breathing helps and kind of takes the place of what you used to do when breathing in the cigarette. I hope that I helped even a little bit,but if you do a search on the internet you will find a lot more information. Take care and congratulations again! Keep up the good work!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2000, 09:37 PM   #3

cmh244 HB User

I just read an article in a recent Biography Magazine about a doctor (Dr. Spring) who offered many tips on how to stop smoking and how to quit for good, if you can get your hands on it. It was very informative and interesting.

Old 12-30-2000, 12:15 PM   #4
Mary Strickland

Smile

I was very successful with a product called Sulfonil - I quit with no side effects and only occasionally when smelling the scent of a freshly lighted cig do I think I would like one - mostly they just stink to me now.
I quit 6 months ago - My son has been told by his Dr. to quit now - and I can no longer reach the source I used before. Sulfonil is inexpensive ($10.00 per 60 count bottle). It works by blocking the message sent to the brain that this cig tastes good - and it really worked for me after trying everything patches, hypnosis, gum, accupuncture and Zyban. If anyone out there has a source that is current I would greatly appreciate a response. Congratulations to all of you who have succeeded - Happy New Year!!

Old 01-04-2001, 12:45 PM   #5

ser HB User
Thanks- I don't have the problem of wanting to smoke but the hand still reaches for the pack. I have heard of lozengers that make you ill if you smoke after taking them. Try stop smoking seminars for items like you are talking about.

Old 03-01-2001, 10:32 AM   #6

CloudiDay HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Mary Strickland:
I was very successful with a product called Sulfonil ... If anyone out there has a source that is current I would greatly appreciate a response ...
Wow! I'd never even heard of this thing. It actually works? I searched for it on google, and got lots of hits. You can apparently buy it at: [url="http://www.********************.com/Monographs/sulfonil.html"]http://www.********************.com/Monographs/sulfonil.html[/url]

BTW, I agree with a previous poster that you have to stay busy. I also keep hard candies in my pocket. And sometimes, I take a deep breath, say my mantra and the urge passes.

Good luck and hang in there!

Old 03-01-2001, 10:34 AM   #7

CloudiDay HB User
Ok, well I guess the board blocks urls when you post them. In my message above, the ***********'s are blocking out "n a t u r a l h e a l t h c o n s u l t".

-Cloudi

[This message has been edited by CloudiDay (edited 03-01-2001).]

Old 03-23-2001, 10:17 AM   #8

FD HB User
I recently quit smoking myself...and the hardest part for me was the "constantly reaching for the pack" habit. I managed to convince myself I didn't want or need the cigarette itself, but the reaching for it is something I couldn't talk my hands out of.

Now I always have a glass of water where my cigarettes used to be. Helps a lot. Whenever I find myself reaching for the pack I grab the water, have a big sip and then go back about my business.

Closed Thread