It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2001, 07:05 PM   #1

Brookej HB User
Thumbs up Hi Lori and everyone!!!

It's me again! I decided to post a new topic because my first one was getting so long with replies which is great but unfortunately I am not cable connected yet and it takes forever lately for me to check the post - especially in the evening. I kept pretty busy today. My newest strategy to fight urges is to just get mad! I get mad at the big tobacco companies that have the nerve to produce and sell a product that is so deadly and addictive because I know they don't care diddly squat about me as long as they make their money! This strategy gets me worked up enough that my stubborn streak takes over and I refuse to help those companies out by indulging myself in their product. Has anyone tried that one?! I went ahead and got the sunflower seeds without the shells. To Lucky: Right now, anger is working for me but I know that getting aggravated about working those sunflower seeds would make me want to smoke - lighting a cig is easier although it sounds as if you have developed a degree of expertise in working those seeds. Anyone else have a strategy to share? I like trying different things and my strategy may change daily if that is what I need. To everyone: Keep up the good work (it IS work!) and lets keep supporting each other. Good luck to all.
Brookej

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2001, 01:53 AM   #2
Inactive

Lori HB User
Hi Brookej!
I hear ya that you are angry at those tobacco companies! I used many strategies as well. But basically I just made sure I kept busy busy busy and contstantly reminded myself why I was quitting. Changed my usual habits, sipped lots of water and OJ, and treated myself for every single day I went without a cigarette. etc etc.
How are the seeds working for you?
Take care and talk to you soon
Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2001, 07:11 AM   #3

Brookej HB User
Talking

Hi Lori,
The sunflower seeds are helpful. I always liked sunflower seeds anyway and now they might offer an added bonus besides just pure eating enjoyment. They are cheaper than the smokes! I decided to post early today - it goes a lot faster. Last evening was very frustrating - my computer took forever! I need to use the money I am saving now by not smoking to get cable connected. Thanks for posting those other websites - I'll check those out. Talk to you later!
Brookej

Old 03-06-2001, 08:45 AM   #4

Lucky HB User
Thumbs up

Hey, sounds like you're doing GREAT!!! Keep up the good work.

About the sunflowers, we don't want you getting aggravated trying to "de-shell" them . . . Whatever works for you. And thanks, I have gotten pretty good at them. Sitting at baseball games for hours at a time . . . all summer long, I had plenty of practice. I put the men to shame . . .

It's great you're doing so well. Keep it up and keep us all posted!!

Lucky

Old 03-07-2001, 11:20 PM   #5
Inactive

Lori HB User
Hi Brookej!
How are you doing?? Thats really neat you are getting cable connected, and that is cheaper per month than cigarettes!
Keep up the great work and let us know how you are doing, remember you are over the worst-"Hell week" is OVER!!!! Its only going to keep getting better from here
Talk to you soon and take care,
Lori

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 03-08-2001).]

Old 03-08-2001, 05:17 AM   #6

Brookej HB User
Talking

Hi Lori,
It has been 1 whole week as of today! I don't think I would have made it this long this time if it were not for you and others who have offered their support. Thank you so much! I just need to keep busy and make sure I stay quit this time - there is no good reason to go back to the old life. By now I should be a pro at this - I know that nicotine is the enemy. You have a great day and take care!
Brookej

Old 03-09-2001, 03:06 AM   #7
Inactive

Lori HB User
Hi!
It has been one week! Im so proud of you!! You are over the worst now but remember to be on your toes still. The longer you go the better the cravings/withdrawl symptoms will be. You know this already but reminding yourself is never a bad thing. Just think, why would you want to go through this again? *laugh*
Is your husband quitting with you this time? I was just remembering that my Father stayed quit even though my Mother was still smoking (they were suposed to quit together). She smoked for like 10 or so more years then finally up and quit for good. They are both still smoke-free 15plus years later! Just some more encouragement for you
Have a great day also!
Lori

Old 03-10-2001, 08:50 PM   #8

Brookej HB User
Smile

Hi Lori!
I have been keeping quite busy for the last few days - spending more time accomplishing tasks that have needed to get done and less time on the computer. It feels good to get things done and helps me keep my mind off of you-know-what! My husband has not chosen to quit with me this time (at least not so far) but that is OK although I wish he would. He stayed quit much longer than I did one time in the past when we quit together. I'll be keeping busy all day tomorrow because it will be my birthday and I am having lunch with my non-smoking friends and an evening birthday celebration with my family. That should keep me busy! You take care. Talk to you later!
Brookej

Old 03-11-2001, 12:29 AM   #9
Inactive

Lori HB User
Cool

Hi Brookej
Good that you are keeping so busy! And ~~*~~*~~*~~*~~HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
Lori

Old 03-13-2001, 06:36 PM   #10

Brookej HB User
Talking

Hi everyone!!!
I had fun on my birthday Sunday. I am hanging in there but I have a lot of cravings. Despite the cravings, I have felt energized lately - getting lots of things done. How is everyone else doing?Have a great day everyone!!!
Brookej

Old 03-16-2001, 09:51 AM   #11

Lucky HB User
Thumbs up

Brook,

Just wanted to congratulate you on your 2 week mark . . . keep it up!!

That is GREAT!!!

Old 03-19-2001, 03:58 AM   #12
Inactive

Lori HB User
Talking

Hi Brookej,
Glad you had a great birthday last Sunday Hope you had a good this weekend as well, and that you're still keeping in there and busy How are your cravings going? Hang in there!
Here's a quote I came across that I found interesting:
"The cigarette does the smoking, you're just the sucker"
*laugh* How true,huh.
Take care!
Lori

Old 03-19-2001, 03:56 PM   #13

Brookej HB User
Smile

Hi Lori,
I always like hearing from you. I hope your weekend was great! I received some bad news about a relative right before the weekend. She has been diagnosed with a fairly rare disorder which may resolve completely or could leave residual effects. It varies with the person. Of course, I'm praying for the best. I'm still keeping busy. Cravings come and go especially when bad news arrives and I live with a smoker. I am not getting rid of him though - God willing. Do you still have cravings after all of this time? I forget how long it has been exactly for you. Great quote! I have a flaming thread on this topic now too! Gee, could it be that I am a chatterbox?! Talk to you later - I couldn't do otherwise!
Brookej

Old 03-20-2001, 01:58 AM   #14
Inactive

Lori HB User
Smile

Hi Brookej!
I had a great weekend, thanks
Its been almost 4 months and 3 weeks smoke free for me! Unfortunatley yes, I still have cravings but they keep getting less and less. My cravings are the worst when someone around me first lights up a cigarette, and also while bowling. And of course when Im under stress. But I never give into the cravings and they are hardley noticable now.
Im so sorry to hear about your relative! I'll keep her health in my thoughts and prayers. You take care also and hang in there!
Your friend,
Lori

Old 03-29-2001, 01:43 AM   #15
Inactive

Lori HB User
Question

Brookej,
How is everything with you?? Its almost been a month smoke free for you...? How are you doing?
Take care,
Lori

Closed Thread