It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2001, 04:00 PM   #1

Bmoviefan HB User
Post quitting tomorrow/cold turkey

Hi all, I have been reading all the posts and you all are soooo supportive of each other! I will be quitting cold turkey tomorrow as I have to start birth control pills to help with menopause symptoms(anxiety very bad). I am just wondering will the anxiety be worse for a few days when I quit? I have gotten rid of all junk food and stocked up on baby carrots, pretzel logs etc. I am hoping that I feel better after the first 3 days, that is what I have been telling myself, just get over the first 3 days and it will be better. Just wanted to post so when I need a shoulder to cry on I can come here and let loose! I have smoked off and on for many years, mostly on, and I am now ready to feel better and get off these nasty things!! Sorry so long and hope to talk to you all soon, I will be checking back daily to get my "fix". Hope you all stay healthy.

Old 04-07-2001, 10:20 PM   #2

FD HB User
The constant reaching for the cigarette was the hard part for me...I chewed a LOT of gum and had a glass of water where my pack of cigarettes was and it helped me a LOT. Two good mental tricks for me were 1.) making sure that I didn't ignore the cravings by trying to do something else (you know, "oh, I can ignore it I'll just go eat something/work harder/distract myself somehow") and just realizing/focusing on the fact that even though I wanted one, it was no longer an option for me to have one. And 2.) realizing that no matter how many excuses I came up with to rationalize having a cigarette, none of them were worth finding out I had heart disease/lung cancer/cervical cancer and so on. I just had to keep talking to myself every single time I had a craving. It gets easier, I swear.

Reading what everyone has been posting here helped me quite a bit too...even though I rarely post I really got a lot of comfort from seeing other people going through what I went through too.

Good luck, although you won't need it! You will do great, and post here whenever you feel like you need the support. Everyone here is SO great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2001, 08:45 AM   #3

ser HB User
You can do it! The anxiety can be bad but everyone is different. You can ask your Dr for help. Zyban is an antidepresant that has helped many to quit. Sleep helped me the first week. It does get better as time goes on. Keep telling yourself how much money you will save, how your clothes and you don't smell. Try mint tooth picks(I did 2 mo of pepermint disks) Sunflower seeds are great. Water lots of it. Try a little flavor in it to help. Exersice! walk, run, lift weights, swimming....

Post anytime!

Closed Thread