It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2001, 05:07 PM   #1

Christopher74 HB User
Post OK, I Want To Quit, But...

I want to quit smoking. I have worked my way down to smoking Carltons (ultra ultra lights) in the past year. My health didn't increase or still wasn't able to run a mile so it's time to just give it up. Smoking is just plain stupid. But I have some questions...

Are there any health risks by quiting cold turkey? Are there dangerous side effects in quitting? I here you hack up a lot, does this usually happen and can it lead to any damage? Since I am a light smoker will I be vulnerable to this? How long does the hacking up of tar and junk last? Can I have panic attacks or any psycotic episodes when my body is screaming for nicotine? I know these questions may sound a tad bit off the wall. I am not looking for an excuse not to quit. I just want to know what to look out for. I have tried to look this stuff up here and there for months and no luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2001, 12:29 AM   #2
Inactive

Lori HB User
Hi Christopher74,
It's great that you are going to quit! About your concerns:
NO, I don't think there are any health risks by quitting (especially cold turkey). I suppose you could maybe damage your lungs if you cough too much hard?? (do NOT quote me on that,just a guess). I really dont think so your lungs are continuously healing after you quit, it would be sooooooo much worse if you were smoking and coughing and ruining your lungs that way. Its clearing out your lungs from all that stuff from the cigarettes,therefore making healthier. Drink lots of water and dont overdo it just give yourself some "downtime" to heal. It will be just fine.
As for the panic attacks I know people can get emotional and/or depressed for awhile after they quit. It gets so uncomfortable when you want that smoke so bad and are trying so hard to fight it. If you are well prepared for the quit these will pass quickly. Maybe talk to your doctor if you are prone to these.
Because you are a light smoker you probably wont get hit very hard with all the withdrawl symptoms you are worrying about.
I dont know if this is true but I heard that "no one ever died by quitting". I believe it, and no matter what could happen by quitting(which it probably wont), that smoking will only make it worse and that's a fact.
I hope I can put your mind at ease I had similar concerns and was a somewhat heavy smoker and everything turned out fine for me(comming up on 7 months smokefree). I honestly dont think anything dangerous can come from such a wonderfull thing. I know of some websites I will post tomorrow after I wake up (Im so tired right now my fingers are falling asleep *laugh*) that will help answer your questions also.
Good luck with quitting please let us know how you are doing!! When's your quit date?
Take care,
Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2001, 04:17 AM   #3

Christopher74 HB User
Thanks for your reply. I didn't really think there was anything to worry about. I just had wondered if there were problems.

Well thank you. I'm making my quit date May 17th, because I haven't smoked this whole day so far and I didn't write down the last time I smoked yesterday. Blah! I don't really care about that.

Old 05-17-2001, 07:53 AM   #4

workinggirl HB User
Talking

Christopher74,
Good deal. Sounds like you are ready to give up this "monkey". I stopped about six weeks ago (for the third time), once for seven years. This time it just felt right. The thing that really has helped me is that I didn't put pressure on myself this time to say "I Quit" I just say " I didn't smoke yesterday and I didn't smoke today and I hope like hell I don't smoke tomorrow." I stopped cold turkey this time and have not had much trouble at all. Little weight gain but am getting that off now. Sure feels good not to be afraid of running out of smokes. Good luck to you!!!!!

Old 05-17-2001, 08:05 AM   #5

Azzriele HB User
Hacking is good. it means the cilia in your bronchial tubes are reviving (smoking puts them in a "coma") and sweeping out debris like they're supposed to. Once I quit(pack a day btw), it took me 2 weeks to start hacking, then i hacked my brains out for 3 weeks. Just now I am beginning to feel better--instead of hacking, I am just clearing my throat a lot, and this will pass eventually. It might even be sheer habit. Some people hack longer than that, depending on their age and how much they smoke. Some less. Seriously, you have nothing to worry about. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2001, 01:07 PM   #6

Christopher74 HB User
Is there a technical or medical term for the hacking after you quit? I just want to look it up.

Closed Thread